OK - I've been persuaded! How best to configure a new facelifted Yeti?

docc

My reply in another post makes this debate interesting. I went for a test drive yesterday in a 1.2 S DSG and ended up buying it as it was the spec and colour I wanted and I got a good trade in and discount. The car will be pre registered but only has 29 miles on the clock. Discussing the FL the dealer said they were not taking orders yet and had no idea of delivery dates. This is Silbury Skoda in Northumberland and they got dealer of the year last year.

Ordered my FL Monday 14th October (with correct options/prices which all dealer now have on their system).

Order sent off to Skoda UK same day (FL and extras all at pre FL prices BTW), so one of the "first in line" so to speak, although not expecting my "Outdoor" until February at the earliest.

No idea why some dealers are not taking orders though.

Yes, that's jungle green. You can spin it around and try different wheels with much more realistic lighting than the configurator to get a better idea of the paint here:

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-yeti-outdoor/overview

Jungle green's in the promo video too. I really like the colour.

Thanks, Nick P.  Yes, they do look nice, but I guess the standard Nevis will be easier to clean.

Just awaiting expert advice on spare wheels from another forum then I'll order.

Ordered my FL Monday 14th October (with correct options/prices which all dealer now have on their system).

Order sent off to Skoda UK same day (FL and extras all at pre FL prices BTW), so one of the "first in line" so to speak, although not expecting my "Outdoor" until February at the earliest.

No idea why some dealers are not taking orders though.

This confusion over which dealers are taking orders and which aren't amazes me!  So does the inability (refusal?) of Skoda UK to let me have prices for the options.  They say the dealers have the prices for options, but they don't, which is clearly nonsense.  Then there's the missing car configurator.  I do wonder sometimes how much more successful Skoda could be if they got their act together.  Meanwhile, if anybody is able to post the prices of the optional extras (and which are avaliable) for the FL models, it would be very helpful to a lot of people - including Skoda UK!!!  :)

As per your previous post, Elegance and L&K are definitely spec'd with LED tail lights as standard?

Apologies. I was wrong about this. I'd misread the options list. Just read through it again and LED lights are a cost option on all UK trim levels. :( 

Thanks for that options list, Nick - enormously helpful.  Throws up a few more questions (inevitably!), if anyone can spare a bit more time to help:

Annapurna wheels don't seem that popular.  Matterhorn and Origami seem to be non-chargeable options for the Elegance - anyone any thoughts on these please? 

Rear mud flaps show as a pretty reasonable £20 - no front ones, though?

Rough road package still there at £200 - extra protection perhaps worthwhile?

Electrically adjustable driver's seat £585 - nice to have, but expensive and maybe something else to go wrong?

KESSY Keyless Entry and Start System £400 - also nice to have, but expensive and maybe something else to go wrong?

Extended warranty to 5 years £640 - probably worth having

Thanks for the continuing help, guys - new to Skoda and this is a big decision for us!

Just to reiterate that if you are going to keep the car for more than three years and will want to keep it under a warranty, it does seem that it is better to extend the manufacturer warrnaty at purchase rather than rely on a third party warranty when the car reaches three years old.

And in my earlier post i did say that the electric seat is the one option I wish I had ticked - I had it in my previous car  and didn't think I'd miss it in this but in fact it made it so much easier to find that ideal driving position.....and then you had it at the press of a button every time. But if it came to a choice, spare wheel, heated screen and front sensors all for around the same money would win out easily.

• Like 1

Graham makes a fair point about the mileage restriction but arguably for anyone doing up to 25,000 miles a year the two year extension to the manufacturer's warranty could be good value for money. Obviously the best value is for those doing 20k miles each year because the 5 years and 100k miles will coincide. I do around 10k per year so my extra two years are costing twice as much per mile (but still worth it for peace of mind). If you drive 25k per year then the mileage restriction will mean it costs the £600+ for only year four but by the end of year three the car will already have 75k on the clock, probably now will have significant wear and there has to be a reasonable probability of something going wrong. If it does the chances are it's going to cost more than the extra warranty.

Perhaps the people for who the extra years warranty isn't such good value value are the very low ,mileage drivers where even after five years the total mileage will be low and little wear and tear (unless it's been lots of stop start town driving) and if something serious were to go wrong might have Sale of Goods Act or similar legislation to fall back on (in the UK at least).

And going back to the main point of the original post, I think Docc's done remarkably well - he asked for opinions and pretty much got consensus on the "best" options for the Yeti. 

Graham makes a fair point about the mileage restriction but arguably for anyone doing up to 25,000 miles a year the two year extension to the manufacturer's warranty could be good value for money. Obviously the best value is for those doing 20k miles each year because the 5 years and 100k miles will coincide. I do around 10k per year so my extra two years are costing twice as much per mile (but still worth it for peace of mind). If you drive 25k per year then the mileage restriction will mean it costs the £600+ for only year four but by the end of year three the car will already have 75k on the clock, probably now will have significant wear and there has to be a reasonable probability of something going wrong. If it does the chances are it's going to cost more than the extra warranty.

Perhaps the people for who the extra years warranty isn't such good value value are the very low ,mileage drivers where even after five years the total mileage will be low and little wear and tear (unless it's been lots of stop start town driving) and if something serious were to go wrong might have Sale of Goods Act or similar legislation to fall back on (in the UK at least).

And going back to the main point of the original post, I think Docc's done remarkably well - he asked for opinions and pretty much got consensus on the "best" options for the Yeti. 

Thanks - all views greatly helpful in reaching a final decision on this!  Still unsure on the wheels and the colour (head says silver, heart the non-metallic red).  Warranty maybe not really needed for our mileage (pretty low) but a major repair in year 4 or 5 would be expensive, and these things still happen, regardless of mileage. 

I think the electric seat is worth it for the dimming side mirror - not quite sure why you need the former for the latter, as the dimming side mirror used to be standard on the Elegance.

The electric seat does feel a lot firmer - possibly too firm - by comparison with the manual one, but I was comparing a 3-year-old manual to the new electric so that may not be fair...

Just completed 3,500 miles in my Candy white 1.2 TSI DSG Elegance

Buying the Yeti was the best car purchase decision I have ever made, I love the high driving position

The extras I have

Spare wheel: A must have as far as I am concerned

Heated Screen : Once you have had one you would not want a car without one

Sat Nav Amundsen: First car I have had with built in Sat Nav so much better than a portable sat nav

12 Speaker Sound system: Great sound , 

Parking Sensors front: Certainly help with parking

Life Shine: Gives nice finish to the car , I got it as part of the deal, would not want to pay RRP

Skoda Mats: Got as part of the deal

This was the first Automatic I have had for a very long time again after having an automatic I could not go back to a manual ,with the high driving position and the automatic makes for very relaxed driving

As far as colour goes I have not seen any other colour I would swop for my White one 

I did consider going for the electrically adjusted seats as that is what I had on my previous car but I have found the manually adjusted seats very comfortable 

On the point of doing a deal - discounted, of course.  We've not yet discussed the possibility of adding an extra 2 years on the warranty for £640.  I'm assuming there's a fair old margin on this for the dealers, and that it can be brought down in price by negotiation (like the car itself and the options).  Anyone had any success here?

• 2 months later...

Just remember. Any optional extra you add will not make the car worth anymore than a standard one when the time comes to sell. Some extras that cars come with are just gadgety things that are impressive when new but after using them for a while you soon realise you could easily live without. I used to work for Toyota, one of the first manufacturers to offer park assist on the Prius about 10 years ago. Yes it worked but if you need to park on a busy road where traffic is waiting as you reverse park it is far far slower using park assist than just doing it yourself. At the end of the day. if you have a licence you should be compitent at parking. A spare is a nice thing to have but takes up room in the boot making the boot space no better than a normal hatch which is a shame. I have gone for extra boot space as it is what we need most. At the end of the day options are a personal thing what works for some might not work for others. Just enjoy your yeti.

• Like 1

I think the electric seat is worth it for the dimming side mirror - not quite sure why you need the former for the latter, as the dimming side mirror used to be standard on the Elegance.

The electric seat does feel a lot firmer - possibly too firm - by comparison with the manual one, but I was comparing a 3-year-old manual to the new electric so that may not be fair...

I took a long test drive in the facelifted Yeti (a 1.2TSI DSG) last week. It had the standard drivers seat and I found myself struggling to find a comfortable driving posture throughout the test drive. Maybe it takes a few days to get used to a new driving posture but I would certainly think seriously about the electrically adjustable drivers seat as I believe that gives more flexibility for adjustments and once you find your preferred driving position you can save it in the memory.

In reply to the comment above, I did find the manual seat pretty firm too. The car was pretty new (done about 1500 km) so maybe the seats will be a bit softer with time??

Edited by Ansum