DEPO projector headlights misting up

Ryanfsr

Nope, never needed to as the foam seal on the backplate sat nicely on the back of the main headlight unit without any gaps.

I thinks ita fair to say the issue is with the backplate hole. Might be good to see who is running DEPO projectors and NOT getting any misting / condensation problems... Perhaps you would be as so kind to show us how you sealed the things up without having to purchase new backplates and drilling holes? :)

Mine don't mist up BUT I DID buy new backing plates and drill holes in them!

They backing plates ain't exactly expensive.

Did you get the back plates from Wingmirrorman? Only reason I ask is the drivers side backplate is different on the OEM halogens compared to the DEPO ones (halogens feature that sping clip on one side instead of the plastic peg on the DEPO ones)

Did you get the back plates from Wingmirrorman? Only reason I ask is the drivers side backplate is different on the OEM halogens compared to the DEPO ones (halogens feature that sping clip on one side instead of the plastic peg on the DEPO ones)

I did ask WMM for new backing plates, but they didn't have any.

The ones in the link above look okay, so long as they don't have the rectangular hole like the Depo's do. I can't see the spring clip you mention on them.

Mine are like these. I cant find any pairs for sale on Ebay - Maybe try TPS? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/skoda-fabia-mk1-passenger-side-headlight-rear-cover-trim-/121086805907?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c31560793

Just to add something here, I have the depo's and every now and again they mist up.

A lad at work has a brand new Audi S3 with Xenon's and I noticed even his mist up so maybe a slight trait of Xenon's?

Does anyone have any photos of how they have got the lead through the headlamp cover? Like gromets etc.. I've bought new covers and i'm planning on drilling them, would be nice to see what other people have done to minimise them misting up

Edited by Metty92

Does anyone have any photos of how they have got the lead through the headlamp cover? Like gromets etc.. I've bought new covers and i'm planning on drilling them, would be nice to see what other people have done to minimise them misting up

I haven't yet gone to the extent of buying new covers, but I received my replacement set of headlights earlier on this week and have decided to give the DEPO ones another go.

This time i've gone with some seriously sticky foam rubber I use for mounting Gyro's onto my RC Helicopters, layering it up on each backplate hole to try and make the seal as good as possible.

This is how it looks at the moment:

20131101_220647_zps0b7af745.jpg

I'll be refitting them Sunday morning, so i'll hopefully know if its cured it or not pretty soon :)

Mine are pointing down as per the pic... seemed to be the only way it would work to ensure the back plate would actually clip on.

Saying that, still had a bit of difficulty clipping the back plates on at first as the D2S adapter just seemed to stick that little bit too proud out of the back. Managed to sand them back a little with a dremel which seemed to do the trick :)

Fitted them back in today, keeping my fingers crossed and all that regarding the misting.

Just been out to have a look, and low and behold..... they've misted up! :(

Not only that, but parking up against the white garage door the left headlight beam "cut off" is yellow, whilst the right hand side is blue; similar issue I believe you had Metty92?

How did you dry these out before re fitting them?

I used to split headlights and spray/smoke them for people, some sets that came to me misted up were a nightmare to dry out, i used to leave the covers off and put them in the airing cupboard for a week.

I used to split headlights and spray/smoke them for people, some sets that came to me misted up were a nightmare to dry out, i used to leave the covers off and put them in the airing cupboard for a week.

Get some of those silica bags for the back of them. I've put 3 giant ones in my car in the last week and they have gone rock solid in a few days!

****ing car is letting in moisture somewhere I've got a feeling it's the boot seal. Gonna get the ****er welded shut!!

Get some of those silica bags for the back of them. I've put 3 giant ones in my car in the last week and they have gone rock solid in a few days!

******* car is letting in moisture somewhere I've got a feeling it's the boot seal. Gonna get the ****er welded shut!!

See my thread on this mate, i have had my car water tested and the rear winscreen was pouring water into the boot around the locking mechanism. Confirmed it was the original factory fit glass and the seal was awful below the wiper.

The rubber all around the boot was soaked as well, had my rear screen re fitted and my cars been dry for a week now, two massive marg tubs full of cat litter are drying it out day by day

See my thread on this mate, i have had my car water tested and the rear winscreen was pouring water into the boot around the locking mechanism. Confirmed it was the original factory fit glass and the seal was awful below the wiper.

The rubber all around the boot was soaked as well, had my rear screen re fitted and my cars been dry for a week now, two massive marg tubs full of cat litter are drying it out day by day

I opened my boot before and the bottom plastic piece was absolutely drenched! Literally like is had the boot open and the rain was ****ing in.

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday too, should have got him to reseal my rear screen.

My Dads mate does windscreens so will ask him if he fancies earning a tenner. Probably a combination of slight weep in my rear doors too.

Is the car litter working well? 2 big tubs with a few holes in the top mate?

I opened my boot before and the bottom plastic piece was absolutely drenched! Literally like is had the boot open and the rain was ****ing in.

I had a new windscreen fitted yesterday too, should have got him to reseal my rear screen.

My Dads mate does windscreens so will ask him if he fancies earning a tenner. Probably a combination of slight weep in my rear doors too.

exact same as mine, bottom plastic was dripping wet and a massive pool of water around the boot latch, if you take the boot trim off and sit in the boot you can see where the waters getting in if someone runs a hose on it.

exact same as mine, bottom plastic was dripping wet and a massive pool of water around the boot latch, if you take the boot trim off and sit in the boot you can see where the waters getting in if someone runs a hose on it.

Cheers mate, have you got 2 big tubs with a few holes in the lid? Or left the lids off?

They are a brand new set of headlights from Wingmirrorman, so just fitted them from the box. (sent my previous ones back)

Definitely going to have to get me some large silica packs then I reckon! Only thing that is more of a concern now is the horrible beam pattern from this pair of headlights. Just been out and the left one seems to produce a rainbow effect on the road! Another phone call tomorrow I reckon.

I'm sure I'll get these sorted one day haha!

They are a brand new set of headlights from Wingmirrorman, so just fitted them from the box. (sent my previous ones back)

Definitely going to have to get me some large silica packs then I reckon! Only thing that is more of a concern now is the horrible beam pattern from this pair of headlights. Just been out and the left one seems to produce a rainbow effect on the road! Another phone call tomorrow I reckon.

I'm sure I'll get these sorted one day haha!

If that's the case i wouldn't even try and dry them out, i would just send them back for a new set and then seal them up properly before fitting