Bilstein B12's fitted

Fitted them yesterday and my god what a nightmare the fronts are to do, I could change suspension on a mk2/3 golf in about an hour, but these were on a different level to do.

But all done so happy about that, the feel of the car is totally transformed as it just soooooo nice to drive, feels OE but firmer and its a nice firm ride not harsh at all with so much less body roll, im driving around looking for bends and roundabouts lol.

My only slight concern is that its not as low as I thought it would be?? I was expecting about a 20mm drop but its about the same as when the standard suspension was fitted, will the suspension drop much with more miles??

karl

20131014_164748_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131018_121426.jpg

20131020_145850_RichtoneHDR.jpg

On the DPM Performance website, it states the B12 kit gives a 30mm drop. The Vrs sits around 20mm lower than the standard octavia, so you can only expect a 10mm drop. But it'll take a few miles/weeks to settle to that.

• Like 1

The front struts can be done with out taking out the driveshaft which is probably a easier to do but it is trickier compare to a golf mk3. The hardest bit is probably getting the strut out of the hub as you need a spreader tool to open up the hub

I swapped my springs from the B12 kit for H&R 35mm drop ones and it sits alot better and grips like mad, I would get a full geometry check done to get the full effect, I had mine done at ABC in Leeds http://www.abc-carservice.co.uk/ it only cost about £115 and it took them nearly 3 hours with two guys.

Just won me a new Bilstein B12 kit and I'm well happy, not quite as cheap as you (kadvr6) at £181 but £231 is still a bargain nonetheless, happy days coz I won by 9p lol!

Hi billy you are aware that the kit you won is for Axel weight up to 1020 not from 1021kg your kit comes with different springs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hi billy you are aware that the kit you won is for Axel weight up to 1020 not from 1021kg your kit comes with different springs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Oh dear I didn't realise that, I thought it was too good to be true, they were advertised for a Skoda Octavia mk2 1z 55mm so I assumed they were perfect, what would have happen if I'd fitted them had you not said?

I've just messaged the seller now to confirm what you just said as it does say in the listing that the dampers are fine but it doesn't say about the springs. Looks like I've not had that great a deal after all, because if the springs are no good I'll have to splash out on a set of Eibach pro springs, oh well.

If the springs supplied with the kit you've won are not rated correctly for your axle loadings, then you might find that the body control and general handling and comfort isn't as good as it could be. Depends how far it's off.

You'll see your axle weights when you open the passenger door, on the door jamb. 

You are also potentially giving your insurers an out if you are ever involved in an accident, as the springs are rated for a lighter vehicle configuration.

And before any say how will they know, if a vehicle inspection is carried out and they check the part numbers on the springs, they would be able to see that they are incorrectly rated.

You are also potentially giving your insurers an out if you are ever involved in an accident, as the springs are rated for a lighter vehicle configuration.

And before any say how will they know, if a vehicle inspection is carried out and they check the part numbers on the springs, they would be able to see that they are incorrectly rated.

sorry but as long as you tell the insurance its lowered its covered, no insurance company assessor will be checking part numbers of springs.

We'll go way off-topic with this one, and will only drag the discussion off in a different direction. 

With modifications, the expectation always is from the insurers side that you have fitted parts that are fully compatible with the vehicle you're fitting them to and are suitable for the intended application. Fitting springs with the wrong axle loading do not fit into that category unfortunately.

Whether that would ever be discovered in the event of an incident depends entirely on any investigation that took place, and how hard they were looking. In the event of a fatality, for example.

• Like 1