tdi tuning boxes

lurchio2

hi, does anyone have any experience with a tuning box from tdi tuning.co.uk £119 for the fabia vrs, takes power to 163bhp. was thinking of getting one, good idea? cheers.

Edited by lurchio2

Unless you can pick up a decent second hand tuning box cheap then I wouldn't bother.

They are ok as long as you get a proper one rather than a cheap resistor in a box.

I had a Dragon digital tuning box on my Cordoba PD130 and was impressed with the results... felt much punchier and barely any extra smoke.

My dad also had a TDI tuning one from ebay on his TDI 110 VW Sharan. Made a noticeable different to it.

So if you're after cheap bag for your buck then get a second hand one etc otherwise save up and get a map.

Phil

A decent tuning box is worth considering.

Good ones are expensive, but still cheaper than a remap and they offer certain advantages over a remap.....namely you can transfer it to another car (albeit only if it has the same engine) or you can e-bay it when you no longer need it and get a decent amount of your money back.  

If you want a removeable solution (only one i would consider) then Shark do their STS where you can return the car to standard whenever you want then put your map back on whenever you want.

Phil

Just to throw my opinion into the mix. I bought a second hand DTUK tuning box before I went for a Shark map. It was from the same car, but yet it failed to work on my car....

Just food for thought!

the problem with buying a used DTUK system is that the PD system actually calibrates itself to the car, so without a reset the box wouldn't of been able too marry itself to your car.

I have a digital tdi-tuning box in my car i picked up some time ago and the difference is huge. You don't get that big kick just before 2k rpm anymore, the torque delivery is very smooth right from the bottom, it almost feels like a common rail car but with a slightly better surge from about 2k. At the same time it doesn't cough along if you do drop to 20mph in 4th behind that new driver and when you put your foot down it revs cleanly right up to just over 4k when it runs out of lungs. In terms of economy it didn't make any difference tbh and i can still touch 500 miles out of a tank...

Is it worth it?

Well, my car is a 51 plate pd100. It's an "under a grand" car that delivers very reasonable performance whilst giving me over 50mpg. I paid little money for that little box and i have put it next to a friend's Focus 2.0 Zetec and left him behind. Done the same to a stock 307 HDI110 and a Golf TDI 110 with a box. I have matched a stock VRS up to about 80, only after that he edged away slightly. Between gears it can keep up with pretty much anything those repmobiles use, even newer, more powerful cars. I wouldn't spend 300 quid on a map unless i was thinking of spending £2k on modding it........ and at the moment, that's way down on my list of priorities.

• Like 1

I wouldn't spend 300 quid on a map unless i was thinking of spending £2k on modding it........ and at the moment, that's way down on my list of priorities.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.  

If you were really serious about modding your car and adding performance then of course a remap is the way to go. But for most everyday motorists (like me) a good tuning box is a cost affective way to get a decent increase in performance, and is easily removable when you come to get rid of the car.   

Also interested in these boxes, but can anyone expalin how a " proper" box will work? As I get resistor cheap type fooling the cars temp, but not sure on how a proper one works :S

Dan

Also interested in these boxes, but can anyone expalin how a " proper" box will work? As I get resistor cheap type fooling the cars temp, but not sure on how a proper one works :S

Dan

Pretty sure it plugs between the injectors and ecu and if the injectors are requesting for example 10mg of fuel the box tells the ecu it needs 12mg. Haven't got a clue on the actual figures but I'm sure that's how they work