How reliable are the mk2 vRS's?

Being fedup with the dire Mazda 6 we have, the girlfirend is thinking of getting another vRS.

I figure this might of been covered before, but as reliabilty changes over time i guess it wont hurt to start a new topic on it!

So what sort of problems do these cars have?

What ive found with German cars is people often say 'There great, it never breaks down. apart from when... [cue long list of faults]'

The  mk1 we had even had bits of trim fall off but we were used to that having had an audi previously.

Also if anyone has anything else to say about them, good or bad......

Just i want to make sure she gets a car that will be good for her as she has had a couple of stinkers recently. And I will admit I liked the mk1 vRS she had despite the fact it had lots of flaws. It seemed reasonably reliable, was nice to drive, economic and practical (hence homing straight in on the mk2!).

Also what are they like to work on?

Edited by r200ti

Hi mate. Petrol or diesel?

I have the petrol TFSI.

Common issues are:

1) Coil pack failure (there is a recall).

2) PCV failure (buy the latest rev, easy to fit).

3) DV diaphragm splitting (replace with rev D from S3).

Less common issue:

1) Carbon deposits on valves (rare, mostly found in US due to poor quality fuel and oils).

Apart from those items I don't know of any other 'common,' issues.

Nice to drive; feel solid, relatively economical, mine which has been mapped achieves 37-39 mpg's on my journey to work (back roads NSL).

Yeah early ones 170pd, later ones 170 cr. Pd you get the huge dollop of torque in one go and are less refined then the cr one which are alot smoother and petrol like are just as fast but you don't get that huge wack of torque. I have just had my cr remapped and it's best of both worlds in my opinion, petrol like refinery, and torque and fuel economy of a diesel

And in DSG mode or Manual.

jesus, a car :rofl:

Itll probably be a manual for the year/value shes looking at. Not seen any in DSG yet. Id rather avoid dsg anyway as its for her and she wont understand!

When you say coil pack, I take it these are coil on plug?

Is the recall unlimited year/mileage? Just i imagine there will be a limit and coils can be £50 each. Not a reason not to get the car, but atleast we are ready!

dont mention carbon build up to me! (Bmw N54 :sweat: )

Something i do like about the VAG engines is they are effeciant. Thats pretty wicked economy tbh :envy:

Ill see if she fancies a deisal. Doesnt do the mileage to pay extra for one, but if theres any at the right price....

Thing is shes a female and will probably try to run one on petrol!

• Like 1

Had mine 5 yrs it's early tfsi with stg 2 revo suspension arbs etc.

Nothing gone wrong with it at all, strangely enough we're thinking of getting a 135i coupe lol, very hard as this is the best car we've had full stop , keep reading all the revues for things and thinking do we need to swop it , says something for the reliability 

Thats the sort of thing I like to hear!!

I think the N55 135 is a lot better than the N54 I have (not as tunable but something wont stop working every 2 miles)

The 135 is a great car in a straightline, and stupidly fast with a remap. But a real disapointment compared to decent front drivers in terms of value for money and when you want to turn the round thing in your hands.

And even most BMW owners will admit you drive them with your fingers crossed as when they go wrong, which they do, its sore bum hole time.

• Like 1

Sorry to (to r200ti) but your girl friend can't but understand DSG. Even the Luton airport bird Lorraine whatshername would understand it!

Put foot on brake thing below your feet, move silvery lever to D, take footie off brake thing and then go. She can't stall it (but she might run forward into someones bumper if she doesn't understand that the torque can take you forward quite briskly (on the 1.8 tsi) unless you use brake thing again.

On second thoughts, perhaps you should avoid a DSG!!

Nothing never breaks down and every manufacturer makes a lemon once in a while. Every car model is made with design faults.

I can only speak for my TFSI which I've had since new in 07.

Faults I've had are

1 - Teves Mk60 ESP module - design fault

2 - ABS sensor - poor design

3 - Cruise control button - £3 to fix with contact cleaner and a cotton but.

I think that's pretty good in 6yr.

Going on average they seem better than most as a model and that can be evidenced in the JD Power surveys etc.

But any model could be a dog.

I've just got myself a Skoda (obviously) Octavia diesel estate 2006 Laurin Klement, DSG ( 6 Speed Auto box)

Took it in for a service and a full scrutiny inspection as it's done 105k miles, nope sorry... 107k miles now. The only thing that needs doing is a NS/F wheel bearing.

The gear change is smooth and does not like  many a 6 speeds, keep changing up or down un-necessarily.

Fuel economy is really good, a frustratingly slow journey from Hampshire to Devon doing average , no.... doing actually 55mph all the way, except roundabouts and traffic lights, I do like the cruise control button...returned 62mpg (This is an auto remember)  I have kept the receipt from Tesco to prove the consumption. I was real impressed.

Good luck with your choice...

You might want to have a look at the 'Octavia II tsi engine failures' thread. The numbers are only small but you might want to consider factoring in a warrenty when getting one/using it to get a suitable reduction?

• Like 1

I have had a 2011 petrol Vrs for 12 months and 22k miles and no problems.

My CR VRS estate bought new in May 2012 is now passing 35K miles and again no problems. Both on 10K miles services as I like fresh oil and filters.

The Air con units on all of them seem a problem at around 3 years old.

DSG issues.

Petrol engine failures

DPF on PD diesels.

Injector issues on PD diesels.

These have all been discussed in depth on numerous occasions, which is why we use this forum.

Having had both and having had to change to Derv due to my high mileage I would have a petrol every time.

Thanks guys, 

Yes saw the engine failure thread. Not read through it fully but it seems every car has one of these nowadays. As ive said my BMW N54 engine is notoriously bad, and there were stories of the ford variant T5 engine splitting blocks. 

It seems they arent to bad then. Interesting wheel bearings come up a couple of times, but at high mileage so i suppose thats not to bad. 

She is still undecided its between the 2.0 octavias and 2.0 or  2.5 mondeo titaniums

Looks like the mondeos are better specced for the £ but she really likes the octavia vrs. Simple things like a lack of leccy rear windows and MP3/Aux ability in the early mk2's is putting her off. Im guessing some dont have hids either?

Put foot on brake thing below your feet, move silvery lever to D, take footie off brake thing and then go. She can't stall it (but she might run forward into someones bumper if she doesn't understand that the torque can take you forward quite briskly (on the 1.8 tsi) unless you use brake thing again.

haahah, yeh, exactly!!

What are you looking to spend? You should be able to find an earlier example with the spec you need, if you look hard enough.

MY07 onwards should have the AUX input, if that's a consideration. Or things can be retrofitted quite easily.