Does the new Seat Leon offer superior value for money now?

I tried a Golf Mk7 GTD, Audi A3, Leon TDI FR before settling on the Octy.

The Leon, Golf & A3 handle better than the Octy thanks to the rear suspension.

The Golf felt the most well screwed together.

A3 had the worst dash controls.  Did not like them, made the car feel small and cheap.

The Leon had the WORST seats by far (full leather), felt like I was sitting on a piece of wood.  All the salesman kept telling me was that there were LED's in the door which glowed at night.  Never have, never will buy a car based on LED's in the door.

Octavia had the most kit & biggest interior space and was 2nd best on price.

Glad I got the Octy but I do not recommend the 2.0 diesel with a DSG gearbox.

I tried a Golf Mk7 GTD, Audi A3, Leon TDI FR before settling on the Octy.

The Leon, Golf & A3 handle better than the Octy thanks to the rear suspension.

The Golf felt the most well screwed together.

A3 had the worst dash controls.  Did not like them, made the car feel small and cheap.

The Leon had the WORST seats by far (full leather), felt like I was sitting on a piece of wood.  All the salesman kept telling me was that there were LED's in the door which glowed at night.  Never have, never will buy a car based on LED's in the door.

Octavia had the most kit & biggest interior space and was 2nd best on price.

Glad I got the Octy but I do not recommend the 2.0 diesel with a DSG gearbox.

Interesting remark on the seats, I'll get a test drive sorted ASAP but seeing as I can do 13-14 hour driving stints over the summer holidays, the comfort of the seats is very important to me. I've gone off of the plastic/cheap leather as fitted to the Skodas and Seats but I like the look and feel of the vw and Audi leather far more - does this indicate I'm becoming a badge snob? Lol I'm going to price up the Golf 1.4GT estate with options later to see exactly how far away it is in terms of price. :)

YetiMan, I used to own a Seat Cordoba 1.8GLX, back in 1995 and at the time it was a great car, loved it, was like a Polo with a huge boot big engine and a massive rear spoiler! Since, then, I have always thought about trying another SEAT but like you always put off by the interiors being a bit drab. For me having now put 10k on the Octy III, if I could wind back the clock and the Leon had been available to order 8.5 months ago, I would give it a serious look, I love the exterior styling of the ST, and bearing in mind I don't usually like estate cars, that's a good start! The big drawback for me on the Octy is the build quality, coming from the bomb proof Superb II, its a bit of a let down, so if SEAT is any better, it would be a clincher for me. :rofl:

• Like 1

Interesting remark on the seats, I'll get a test drive sorted ASAP but seeing as I can do 13-14 hour driving stints over the summer holidays, the comfort of the seats is very important to me. I've gone off of the plastic/cheap leather as fitted to the Skodas and Seats but I like the look and feel of the vw and Audi leather far more - does this indicate I'm becoming a badge snob? Lol I'm going to price up the Golf 1.4GT estate with options later to see exactly how far away it is in terms of price. :)

One of the things with going for an SE Octavia III to replace the current Yeti is the return to cloth seats, which in some ways I'm looking forward to and obviously hoping they are a tad more comfy than I've found with two Yeti's we've owned.

Oh didn't appreciate you were looking for something to work alongside your Monster; if I'd not been after 4x4 then I'd have gone with a Octy III Combi 1.4 TSI DSG, probably in Elegance spec, with sunset glass and a spare; don't really need to add much to it as it's a great spec, just a shame SUK don't let us have the 4x4 in this level of trim.

TP

• Like 1

Having just driven the Leon from UK to Germany (7 hours +) I didn't find the seats to be that bad at all - firm but comfortable. The bolsters are more prominent than in the new VRS, but all of the adjustment levers / lumbar support are exactly the same and offer the same adjustment.  One of the significant differences is in the back of the Leon versus the Octy - the bench seat in the rear of the Leon is somewhat narrow and fitting of the child seats has been tight - in the Octy you could probably squeeze a person on the middle seat with the child seats fitted, but the same comfort would not be afforded to a third passenger in the rear of the Leon - obviously we have the hatch not the ST so not too sure how this compares.

There have been several comments relating to bland Seat interiors; I think that this is a little unfair - I was always under the impression that the VAG order of merit was: Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda and that the quality/styling of the interiors was commensurate to this.  A little too much Skoda brand loyalty from some here perhaps???

The only button blanks on the Leon this time around are for the heated seats (FR was from stock), as opposed to the numerous blanks just in front of the gear lever on a well specced VRS.  I think that Seat have deliberately de-cluttered the dash / centre console on this Leon and I personally like the simplicity of it all. Also when you sit in Mk7 Golf and then Leon they are incredible similar - this was the main factor in me persuading the missus to trade the Golf in for the Leon.

Edited by Black_Sheep
  • Like 2

shame they don't do a fast enough petrol yet..the FR is way down on power compared to the vrs in petrol guise

But the FR is the sporty looking model in the range not the performance version. For that there will be a Cupra version very soon, also available in ST form! :)

SUK aren't interested in what customers want or think, if they did then they may get better reviews & feedback, but until they take their fingers out of their ears & stop going around in la la land then the UK buyer will just have to put up with an inferior line up & inferior standard specs & setups. 

Having just driven the Leon from UK to Germany (7 hours +) I didn't find the seats to be that bad at all - firm but comfortable. The bolsters are more prominent than in the new VRS, but all of the adjustment levers / lumbar support are exactly the same and offer the same adjustment. One of the significant differences is in the back of the Leon versus the Octy - the bench seat in the rear of the Leon is somewhat narrow and fitting of the child seats has been tight - in the Octy you could probably squeeze a person on the middle seat with the child seats fitted, but the same comfort would not be afforded to a third passenger in the rear of the Leon - obviously we have the hatch not the ST so not too sure how this compares.

There have been several comments relating to bland Seat interiors; I think that this is a little unfair - I was always under the impression that the VAG order of merit was: Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda and that the quality/styling of the interiors was commensurate to this. A little too much Skoda brand loyalty from some here perhaps???

The only button blanks on the Leon this time around are for the heated seats (FR was from stock), as opposed to the numerous blanks just in front of the gear lever on a well specced VRS. I think that Seat have deliberately de-cluttered the dash / centre console on this Leon and I personally like the simplicity of it all. Also when you sit in Mk7 Golf and then Leon they are incredible similar - this was the main factor in me persuading the missus to trade the Golf in for the Leon.

that's really interesting stuff, thanks for posting. I wouldn't say I'm suffering from Skoda brand loyalty as I'm usually able to put a fairly unbiased view forward on most things car related but I just remember getting into Ibiza's and Leon's previously and thinking the dash was made of cheap looking plastic, all at eye level also. Infact if anything, I'd say, overall the new Leon still has the weakest of the four new models due to the big plastic flap at the base of the centre console behind the gearstick. This makes it look the cheapest IMO.

ok, so for the Leon 1.4TSi FR ST I've just worked out I'm getting a 14.6% discount from DTD and the leading dealer quote. Not bad.

For the Golf 1.4TSi GT estate with as near as damn it matched specification including...

Metallic paint

Panoramic roof

Winter pack

Multi function colour dash display

Dynaudio audio upgrade

Bi xenon lamps with DRL's

2 zone climate control

The Golf's rrp is coming out at £27974 and the DTD discounted price is at £24768 (meaning a saving of £3296) so an 11.46% discount overall. PCP rate is at 6.4% for between 18-48 months with a 5% deposit required.

Now onto the Octavia 1.4TSi Elegance estate...

Heated front seats £200

Space saver spare wheel £75

Metallic - Steel grey £495

Alcantara/leather - Black FREE

Sunset privacy glass £140

LED rear lights £150

Panoramic sunroof £950

Canton sound system £400

Bi Xenon headlights with adaptive front lighting system + LED daytime running lights + black cornering fog lights £1,050

Total Manufacturer List Price is £24,500 and £21,747 with discount saving £2,753 which I make an 11.23% overall discount

So that's...

£20,428 for the Leon ST

£21,747 for the Octavia Estate

£24,768 for the Golf Estate

Then I guess the need for additional space or not dictates whether the Octavia gains additional 'points' but with the above offer on the Octavia you cant opt for Skoda's 0% finance and free servicing offer. The highest discount that Ive secured with the servicing and 0% PCP offer is around 7.1%.

I note that you are also looking at the led interior lighting.

When we ordered the Leon no one could tell us what this was - it would now appear that this is purely led bulbs in the interior lights for 60 pounds! According to some on the German Seat sites you can buy an led bulb pack on eBay for €10ish and fit yourself.

The colour changing mode LEDs on the doors are fitted as standard on the fr, but you can't actually see them unless it is virtually pitch black outside. The real deal clincher is the fact that the rear number plate bulbs are LEDs as standard!

I just remember getting into Ibiza's and Leon's previously and thinking the dash was made of cheap looking plastic, all at eye level also. Infact if anything, I'd say, overall the new Leon still has the weakest of the four new models due to the big plastic flap at the base of the centre console behind the gearstick. This makes it look the cheapest IMO.

I would tend to agree with you. The silver plastic surround on mk2 fr was very poor.

Switch gear above cubby on mk3s is identical - just depends on taste again - vag satin black versus gloss black / faux carbon (vrs) - I assume that this is slightly different on elegance. Tech pack on the Leon has mdi in glove box where as Octy with Bolero has aux / USB connection which looks a little out of place in this area.

Am I right to think 1.4 TSI FR gets Adaptive Chassis Control with with variable damper adjustment just as 1.8 TSI FR does by default? A Golf GTI tech distinctly missing from Octavia range.

Technology pack for sat nav, LED lights and DAB.

Edited by v0n

I note that you are also looking at the led interior lighting.

When we ordered the Leon no one could tell us what this was - it would now appear that this is purely led bulbs in the interior lights for 60 pounds! According to some on the German Seat sites you can buy an led bulb pack on eBay for €10ish and fit yourself.

The colour changing mode LEDs on the doors are fitted as standard on the fr, but you can't actually see them unless it is virtually pitch black outside. The real deal clincher is the fact that the rear number plate bulbs are LEDs as standard!

Yes, I read that on SeatCupra,net Seems a lot to pay I guess but its just nicer coming from the factory like that imo. Rear led on the number plate I didnt know however! :)

I would tend to agree with you. The silver plastic surround on mk2 fr was very poor.

Switch gear above cubby on mk3s is identical - just depends on taste again - vag satin black versus gloss black / faux carbon (vrs) - I assume that this is slightly different on elegance. Tech pack on the Leon has mdi in glove box where as Octy with Bolero has aux / USB connection which looks a little out of place in this area.

Agreed again! The fake carbon was almost enough to put me off the VRS too. :(

Am I right to think 1.4 TSI FR gets Adaptive Chassis Control with with variable damper adjustment just as 1.8 TSI FR does by default? A Golf GTI tech distinctly missing from Octavia range.

Technology pack for sat nav, LED lights and DAB.

ACC is Active Cruise Control, nothing to do with dampers. I don't think any of the Leons can have adaptive dampers fitted can they? Thought that was reserved for Golf and A3.

Am I right to think 1.4 TSI FR gets Adaptive Chassis Control with with variable damper adjustment just as 1.8 TSI FR does by default? A Golf GTI tech distinctly missing from Octavia range.Technology pack for sat nav, LED lights and DAB.

I wasn't aware that any of the FRs had adaptive chassis - just mode select to adjust throttle / steering like octy. Only difference is multilink rear suspension on models above 150ps, again like octy.

You could argue that the Seat Leon ST estate can be compared to the Octavia hatchback as the Octavia still has more boot space even in this form.  Carfile have a Octy VRS Diesel for £20147, DTD have the Seat Leon Sport Tourer FR 184 for £20482 (I added spare wheel to both).  So the Octy is better value in this example.

Edited by Ultima

ACC is Active Cruise Control, nothing to do with dampers. I don't think any of the Leons can have adaptive dampers fitted can they? Thought that was reserved for Golf and A3.

I wasn't aware that any of the FRs had adaptive chassis - just mode select to adjust throttle / steering like octy. Only difference is multilink rear suspension on models above 150ps, again like octy.

Talking about DCC (what used to be Dynamic Chassis Control and is now called Adaptive Chassis Control, ACC of course stands for adaptive cruise control in VAG abbrevs.). DCC is listed as "standard technology" on ST FR - http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/models/leon-st/performance.html in addition to Drive Profile (which is what Octy has).

You could argue that the Seat Leon ST estate can be compared to the Octavia hatchback as the Octavia still has more boot space even in this form.  Carfile have a Octy VRS Diesel for £20147, DTD have the Seat Leon Sport Tourer FR 184 for £20482 (I added spare wheel to both).  So the Octy is better value in this example.

but don't you have to add more to the VRS to make them comparable ie VRS doesn't even come with basic cruise control?

Talking about DCC (what used to be Dynamic Chassis Control and is now called Adaptive Chassis Control, ACC of course stands for adaptive cruise control in VAG abbrevs.). DCC is listed as "standard technology" on ST FR - http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/models/leon-st/performance.html in addition to Drive Profile (which is what Octy has).

I know stuff was touted at the Frankfurt launch event but nothing was confirmed in respects of uk spec specific features ie dcc and enhanced progressive steering. Verybsurprised to see that on Seats UK site but I'd hazard a guess it was incorrect as not a single one of the reviews I've read mention this. If it did have it as standard that woud probably tip the balance cleanly enough for me towards the Leon. :)

Edit - in fact that very same page totally dismisses the acc by indicating what is changed under Seat Drive Profile - ride/dampers aren't mentioned.

Might be worth checking out Broker4Cars, they list a Leon FR ST 184 (with tech pack, but no spare) at £19,452.99.

A Golf 2.0 TDI GT Estate is £21,698.97 with no extras.

I know stuff was touted at the Frankfurt launch event but nothing was confirmed in respects of uk spec specific features ie dcc and enhanced progressive steering. Very surprised to see that on Seats UK site but I'd hazard a guess it was incorrect as not a single one of the reviews I've read mention this. If it did have it as standard that woud probably tip the balance cleanly enough for me towards the Leon. :)

If we don't believe official sites, then should we believe? :D Autoexpress review of ST mentions DCC btw.

Edit - in fact that very same page totally dismisses the acc by indicating what is changed under Seat Drive Profile - ride/dampers aren't mentioned.

That's of course because SDP without DCC is available on non FR models. If the pairing of DCC with SDP is anything like in Golf GTi you would be able to select DCC and steering and engine response separately from menu:

dcc_small.jpg

Edited by v0n

If we don't believe official sites, then should we believe? :D Autoexpress review of ST mentions DCC btw.That's of course because SDP without DCC is available on non FR models. If the pairing of DCC with SDP is anything like in Golf GTi you would be able to select DCC and steering and engine response separately from menu:dcc_small.jpg

so is that screenshot from a golf as opposed to a Leon?