Does the new Seat Leon offer superior value for money now?

Meanwhile.... back on topic ;)

Being a nerd, it broke down for me in this list: (Leon FR 184 vs Octy vRS)

Octy

- Servicing thrown in for the three year term

- 18" Alloys as standard

- Acres more space (Leon doesnt have fold flat seats)

- ACC was an option then (oh the irony!)

FR

- Easier to park

- Nicer interior

- Rear AND Front parking assist as standard

- Better ride (probably due to the 17's)

- About 25-30 cheaper per month

- LED front lights

Ive not included looks, as they are subjective ;) Insurance groups were the same, as were the MPG claims (same engines, obv)

I think the Leon is quicker and has slightly better fuel economy as it's lighter (also 1 group cheaper for car tax - but it's only £10 per year), but I think it boils down to space.

The Octavia is the bigger car and has the most luggage space, but is more expensive.

The Leon is more compact, has less luggage space and is cheaper.

You pays your money, etc........

On the previous versions the Leon was really only suitable for people that knew a friendly chiropractor and never glanced around the interior, the Octavia was streets ahead. But this later version is much closer to the Octavia standards (and Golf for that matter) and it makes the choice much harder.

As I no longer require the space, the Leon is tempting me as it's a bit more compact and is cheaper (it also has the adaptive damping option coming shortly), however I'm also looking at getting a classic "weekend" car. And as always happens when one starts delving into the classic car ads, the more you spend the newer, better condition car in the colour you really like with the upgraded wheels and just the options you'd really, really like captures your attention and before you know it, the budget's gone up 25, 30 or 40%. So I may just hang onto the Skoda for a while longer . . . . 

If only I could make my mind up  :think:

Just received my Leon FR184 this morning. So far the impression is, it is a superb piece of kit, and I am glad I chose it. For me the the mk3 Octavia has got to big and flabby. I had a mk1 remapped petrol vRS (private) and a mk2 diesel vRS (company), and both were good cars. 

I think the Leon is quicker and has slightly better fuel economy as it's lighter (also 1 group cheaper for car tax - but it's only £10 per year), but I think it boils down to space.

The Octavia is the bigger car and has the most luggage space, but is more expensive.

The Leon is more compact, has less luggage space and is cheaper.

You pays your money, etc........

On the previous versions the Leon was really only suitable for people that knew a friendly chiropractor and never glanced around the interior, the Octavia was streets ahead. But this later version is much closer to the Octavia standards (and Golf for that matter) and it makes the choice much harder.

As I no longer require the space, the Leon is tempting me as it's a bit more compact and is cheaper (it also has the adaptive damping option coming shortly), however I'm also looking at getting a classic "weekend" car. And as always happens when one starts delving into the classic car ads, the more you spend the newer, better condition car in the colour you really like with the upgraded wheels and just the options you'd really, really like captures your attention and before you know it, the budget's gone up 25, 30 or 40%. So I may just hang onto the Skoda for a while longer . . . . 

If only I could make my mind up  :think:

Keep the Octy - You'll need it to haul around "classic" interiors / exhausts / engine blocks / spoilers etc etc :D

Keep the Octy - You'll need it to haul around "classic" interiors / exhausts / engine blocks / spoilers etc etc :D

That's true, though that's also the reason my budget is creeping up so as to avoid the need to replace lots of bits!!

For me the the mk3 Octavia has got to big and flabby. I had a mk1 remapped petrol vRS (private) and a mk2 diesel vRS (company), and both were good cars. 

Seems odd as the Octy 3 is 100kg lighter than the mark 2.

I was seriously considering a Leon FR (new shape) but glad I did not. I have seen good few new Leon's around and unless you are really looking for them they are very boring and everyday looking.

The new Octavia is so much more stand out as a new car/model.

I actually got a mk2 FL vRS as the insides of the new Octavia IMHO was a bit Seat (bland).

But in general the Seat is very bland to look at when you do notice it.

Just received my Leon FR184 this morning. So far the impression is, it is a superb piece of kit, and I am glad I chose it. For me the the mk3 Octavia has got to big and flabby. I had a mk1 remapped petrol vRS (private) and a mk2 diesel vRS (company), and both were good cars. 

Could you let us know how the Leon rides compared to the Vrs Octavia. I am looking at maybe getting a Leon ST FR 150CR DSG, the 184 is not available in Ireland with DSG.

Octy

- Acres more space (Leon doesnt have fold flat seats)

Actually, this part of the VAG lineup is the most confusing. Seats in both cars fold the same way, with their backs down sloping up towards the front as they share the exact same Golf seat frames, mechanism, floor and cabin frame mount points.

But as much as in every day life, the "acres" as you put it, of space amounts to just 23 litre jerry can worth of air at the top of rear window where ST lines curve more, there is a long standing debate on how Octavia arrived at 270 litres more space (and Golf estate at 260 litres more spce than ST with seats folded.

Considering boot itself is only 23 litres smaller, the seats are the same height and mount points of the front seats on the floor are identical, and yet Octavia ends up with 1740 litres, Golf 1731 litres and poor Leon ST only 1470, the general consensus is that the ST must be using SWB version of the MQB platform. This is further amplified by overall length difference between Octavia Estate, Golf Estate and Leon ST which is 4685, 4657 and 4540mm respectively if you are to believe web press.

However, to confuse matters more, the contrary was confirmed by Seat management during press question time in Frankfurt and repeated again during webcast with seat forum admins, claiming that Leon ST cabin space is longer than that of the hatchback version already on the market, thus suggesting LWB. Considering overall dimensions of Leon ST are only 27,7cm longer than Leon hatchback, but the boot volume expands from 380 litres to 587 litres, the notion that those 11 inches of length would result in additional extra space in the cabin, on top of expansion of the boot are, quite frankly, implausible. In any case, Leon cabin is roughly the same size as Octavia 2FL, which by no means was bad or uncomfortable place to be 

...no long cargo channel / arm rest in the Leon. PITA trying to get broom home from the shops this week!

There is cargo channel, at least on FR, can see "door" in back seats on promo pics

leon_8.jpg

Edited by v0n
  • Like 1

Oh, the geek in me couldn't resist just chucking those german pdf's into photoshop for comparison:

leon_octy.jpg

Leon ST has exactly the same wheel base as Leon hatchback, 5cm shorter than Octavia III but 6cm longer than Octavia IIFL. Oddly, driver has more head space, but passengers have 2cm less, cabin is 2cm narrower than Octy III. Still more space in all directions than Octy IIFL.

Edited by v0n
  • Like 1

To answer the question by the OP, I'd buy a Leon. I'm very happy though with my Octavia, but to be honest I've only filled the car with stuff once in the year I've had it. I guess I don't need such a big boot. By all accounts, and by that I mean magazines and road tests, the Leon is a better car to drive with the ability to put a smile on the driver's face, a bit of Spanish flair, one could say. Personally I like the shape of the hatchback, and 16-inch wheels do seem to fill those arches much better than the new Octavia. Zenon lights as standard is also a temptation for me to buy one. A 1.4 TSI with 140bhp seems a good option. I don't regret buying my diesel Octavia, it's very economical but oh so boring to drive. Competent, but no more. And it's noisy, lots of tyre roar and it filters through to the cabin. Anyway I'd better stop before I think of anything else I don't like about it, so I'll keep it another two years until it's time to change.

Could you let us know how the Leon rides compared to the Vrs Octavia. I am looking at maybe getting a Leon ST FR 150CR DSG, the 184 is not available in Ireland with DSG.

Hi. The 150 has a different suspension set up than the 184. The Leon 184 so far has been a superb drive and a big improvment over my old mk2 vRS. Not driven the Mk3 vRS so cannot comment. Seat have just made the DSG available on the 184 in the UK so it may be worth asking if Ireland is next up for it

Hi. The 150 has a different suspension set up than the 184. The Leon 184 so far has been a superb drive and a big improvment over my old mk2 vRS. Not driven the Mk3 vRS so cannot comment. Seat have just made the DSG available on the 184 in the UK so it may be worth asking if Ireland is next up for it

Yeah, I am aware of the different rear suspension. I took a test drive in a 3 door 150CR and it did get a bit skitish at high speed (on the private test track ;) ;))

I would be very surprised if we get the 184 with DSG over here, we don't even have the 150CR available on your "SE" spec. We generally get the short straw when it comes to engine and spec availability.

How are the seats compared to the Octy ??

Seats in my Leon are excellent. The car is low down though. Drove up to Malham Cove today in the Yorkshire Dales, and the cars handling was spot on. One thing I do note is that the sound actuator is  ridiculus. I believe the vRS also has it. In Sport mode on a motorway it is to noisy, so I slapped it into nrmal mode on the motorway and all was quite :)

Friend's Leon FR is great - streets ahead on the previous mk1. The new Octavia although lighter is bigger and probably due to expanding the range out - the Rapid has bumped the Octavia up in size (and probably sits where the Mk1 Octavia was), and the general view is that the next gen Superb (Mk3) could be an SUV hence the Octavia 3 needs to grow to fill that gap?

I was seriously considering a Leon FR (new shape) but glad I did not. I have seen good few new Leon's around and unless you are really looking for them they are very boring and everyday looking.

The new Octavia is so much more stand out as a new car/model.

I actually got a mk2 FL vRS as the insides of the new Octavia IMHO was a bit Seat (bland).

But in general the Seat is very bland to look at when you do notice it.

I commented to my friend, that the new Leon doesn't look as good in the flesh as it does in the press/marketing pictures.

I would agree with that comment on looks. I seriously considered a Leon, but went for an Octy Vrs in the end, for various reasons that suited me. Looks wise, I found the Octavia a bit less anonymous. This was confirmed when my neighbour parked a new Leon in his drive. I was only looking from the rear view, but it really didn't stand out at all for me, thought it was an Ibiza at first. They look great from the front quarter, but just seem too familiar. Its all subjective though. I like the interior and, if you go for satnav, it is at a better height I think.

I have put in a request for quotes with 3 dealers here in Ireland for :-

Seat Leon ST Fr 150CR DSG

with   Seat sound system

Alcantara seats

Winter pack

Panoramic Sunroof

The standard spec on the car in Ireland is fantastic, the full LED light package is included. I know it's not the 184ps engine (not available with DSG in Ireland) and it will only have the Torsion beam rear suspension but a similarly specced Octy3 is out of my price range.  Fingers crossed!!!!