If you had to get rid of your Fabia tomorrow?

Sparkly

I would replace our Fabia with an R32 DSG MK4 or MK5, a lot of car for not a lot of money but older than the Fabia. As the Fabia only does 4,000 miles a year I see no reason why a high spec older car would not be an option.

Even a North American Spec LandRover 90 has been talked about as this is 4.0 litre and automatic, wives car who likes auto.

I would miss the Fabia though, it is a great car but not as good as our Yeti which in turn is not quite as good as Richards VRS Yeti  :happy:

A new Ford Focus 1.6T 182 Ecoboost Zetec S, for around £16,000 could be a great bargain.

george

Interesting choice. Drive the Deal are showing this at £15,200 (without options). That's a £5k saving. Certainly one to consider at that price and the mpg isn't too bad.

If I needed a replacement of roughly the same size and price bracket I'd go for the Fiesta ST

As it stands at the moment tho I think we will be keeping it abit longer but the option of ditching it for an M135i next year is a distinct possibility :-)

+1 On the Fiesta ST, with the Mountune bhp upgrade.

Or an aluminum Jaag XKR on a 56 plate, if you like it Supercharged!

Am I right in thinking you don't need a 5 door Tom?

The M135i is a thing of lust, you must do this wonderous thing so that we may live vicariously through you.

However naturally if you do sell the vRS I will stop talking to you and deny all knowledge of your existence :rofl:

No sadly I do need a 5-door as we have our first baby due in March :-)

Fiesta is 3-door only I think but the M135i can be had in 5-door so would be eminently suitable lol!

Just need to make the man maths fit but it might be tricky getting it past SWMBO as I've only just forked out for the 120d hehe....

M135i is a great shout.

£500 will get you runnig a solid 370Hp as well!!

1276467_640863689267243_906863128_o.jpg

For the performance on tap I think they are abit of a bargain. It's routine to be able to negotiate 5-6k off list at the moment bringing the price level (or even cheaper if you go easy on the options) with a golf GTI.

The big discounts combined with low rate finance and strong residuals means they are very affordable on PCP.

My local dealer advertises new 'basic' manual M135i at £399 per month with £399 deposit. Push them to apply the full discount they can and chuck in abit more deposit yourself (2-3k) and its possible to be driving one for sub-£300/month.

Delivery for a factory order is likely to take only 5-6 weeks rather than months too!

My local dealer advertises new 'basic' manual M135i at £399 per month with £399 deposit. Push them to apply the full discount they can and chuck in abit more deposit yourself (2-3k) and its possible to be driving one for sub-£300/month.

Seriously?  What term is that over because that is CHEAP!!

I wish I had bought one the last 1.9 tdi pd fabia`s now instead of the 1.6cr (75bhp) with its DPF. I only do a 12 mile commute 30 to 45mph. But i did not research enough and believed the mpg would be within 90% of the published average 67mpg. Chop losses prevent changing any time soon. Oh well we live and learn.

Edited by bobjob49

Cold & damp this morning, and this is the first winter i am thinking that Heated seats are going to be essential

& no leather.

(My back is killing me after sitting on a normally comfortable seat first thing & getting chilled,

them old bones are suffering now and its all warmed up.)

Fast de-frost front screen becoming another thing seriously worth having,

so i am thinking time for a used Ford or a Volvo as a daily winter driver.

Subaru or Honda might be back on my look see list. but not really needing an auto AWD that will be drinking fuel

as a neat clean daily driver for carrying passengers, it needs to cover a fair mileage over the winter..

I have a Zook for using in the snow and it has a drink problem, never needs break down recovery but should join AA.

george

Cold & damp this morning, and this is the first winter i am thinking that Heated seats are going to be essential

& no leather.

(My back is killing me after sitting on a normally comfortable seat first thing & getting chilled,

them old bones are suffering now and its all warmed up.)

Fast de-frost front screen becoming another thing seriously worth having,

so i am thinking time for a used Ford or a Volvo as a daily winter driver.

Subaru or Honda might be back on my look see list. but not really needing an auto AWD that will be drinking fuel

as a neat clean daily driver for carrying passengers, it needs to cover a fair mileage over the winter..

I have a Zook for using in the snow and it has a drink problem, never needs break down recovery but should join AA.

george

what about a used yeti George?

covers all your needs perfectly.

Too deep a sill, it intrudes into the cabin, and awkward entry in a Yeti, i have driven them, getting out i knock or rub my calf or shin.

i drive automatics with the left foot on the throttle pedal, and a Yeti needs modified to be any use on long journeys,

which is not so good for other drivers if they are using the car.

& then there is cars that are Fugly which are OK like a Fabia, and ones that are just odd looking.

Petrol DSG's that are fun to drive are not a used bargain yet, and not looking for a Diesel.

Luckily Skoda makes cars in different flavours, shapes and sizes.

5 door Citigo, suits, 3 door is just a PITA. The ASG is just ridiculously bad.

Roomster is an odd one, it should be suitable but seat belts and seating is just not to my liking.

The Superb is the oddest of all, lots of room, but with a very high & deep sill when you are in the car,

really difficult for me to exit.

Mk3 Octavia vRS is pretty comfortable, but the centre Box would need to come out, i find it so awkward to fasten the seat belt that it becomes annoying.

george

For the performance on tap I think they are abit of a bargain. It's routine to be able to negotiate 5-6k off list at the moment bringing the price level (or even cheaper if you go easy on the options) with a golf GTI.

The big discounts combined with low rate finance and strong residuals means they are very affordable on PCP.

Delivery for a factory order is likely to take only 5-6 weeks rather than months too!

They are just an awesome car. My old man bought a black 5 door auto a couple of months back (as you know Tom) and its just staggering how good it is. Negotiated a serious discount on it too, made a new spec'd up Octy vRS not look particularly good value and its got Pro Nav w enhanced BT, Harmon Kardon, Comfort, sun protection and visibilty packs on it amongst other things.

It'd have an E46 M3 no problem and honestly isnt much slower than a E92 in real world conditions in standard form; a decent map and a Quaife LSD and it'd be just insane.

at the costs quoted above id be tempted to get one tomorrow, trouble is the boots not big enough, work wouldnt give me a fuel card for it and it'd probably lose me my licence.

Edited by pipsyp

One becomes Two,

BMW 2-Series,  2.0 litre diesels, 225d 218bhp,  

218d  111g/km CO2, from £25,040

M235i , 3.0 litre, 326 bhp twin-turbo 6 , £34,250     Nice.

As they come in,

any 1-Series Coupes sitting around built & not sold could be a real bargain.

One becomes Two,

BMW 2-Series, 2.0 litre diesels, 225d 218bhp,

218d 111g/km CO2, from £25,040

M235i , 3.0 litre, 326 bhp twin-turbo 6 , £34,250 Nice.

As they come in,

any 1-Series Coupes sitting around built & not sold could be a real bargain.

indeed. 2 series is a lovely looking car but arguably less practical...more expensive and i expect it'll be some time before a good deal can be had on one.

I'm very fond of the old E82 coupe still, its a great car. The old man (likes his BM's) also had a 135i M Sport coupe a few years back and even then he preferred that to his E46 M3 and was convinced it was no slower, also I get the impression he preferred it to the Boxster S PDK he swapped it for and regretted getting rid. One of the reasons he got the M135 i think. All personal opinion but high praise. I liked the fact the E82 was quirky, looked little different to a regular m sport but sounded fabulous and went like stink. Early cars are quite affordable now too.

Edited by pipsyp

70 mph, 100mph 155 mph is the same speed regardless of the model of BMW it is done in, and the odd second quicker to 70 or 100 mph, 155mph etc

makes little difference really.

If they get the power down and nothing is in front to slow you they all feel pretty fast.

X-Drives can be a bit more useful for some quick driving, it is good that more choices are becoming available.

george

Not surprisingly 120 plus in this does feel slower than in a 1-series at 120plus

They are just an awesome car. My old man bought a black 5 door auto a couple of months back (as you know Tom) and its just staggering how good it is. Negotiated a serious discount on it too, made a new spec'd up Octy vRS not look particularly good value and its got Pro Nav w enhanced BT, Harmon Kardon, Comfort, sun protection and visibilty packs on it amongst other things.

It'd have an E46 M3 no problem and honestly isnt much slower than a E92 in real world conditions in standard form; a decent map and a Quaife LSD and it'd be just insane.

at the costs quoted above id be tempted to get one tomorrow, trouble is the boots not big enough, work wouldnt give me a fuel card for it and it'd probably lose me my licence.

I know exactly what u mean about the licence thing mate. M135i is the first car I've driven that I came back thinking "that's almost too quick for the public road" lol! There would always be the danger of points whenever you opened it up.

I'm still lusting after one tho! Oddly when I'm actually driving the 120d I never start thinking about the M135i as its plenty quick enough for daily use. When I'm browsing the forums or reading a car mag tho I automatically enter man-maths mode plotting a plan to get that m135i on my drive at some point haha! :-)

I know exactly what u mean about the licence thing mate. M135i is the first car I've driven that I came back thinking "that's almost too quick for the public road" lol! There would always be the danger of points whenever you opened it up.

I'm still lusting after one tho! Oddly when I'm actually driving the 120d I never start thinking about the M135i as its plenty quick enough for daily use. When I'm browsing the forums or reading a car mag tho I automatically enter man-maths mode plotting a plan to get that m135i on my drive at some point haha! :-)

I'm hearing you on this, but in a different way. I like the feel of acceleration, but the faster you go, the quicker you have to get off the loud pedal. Sometimes even the Fabia is too quick if I'm stepping on it, as I have to get off it at about 40kph on a normal 60kph road, or risk exceeding the limit. And in that case, I've only had about two seconds of "fun". I can only imagine giving the M135I the complete beans on a freeway or highway, and that would reduce the amount of opportunities for enjoyment. I still want one, though. Except BMW Australia take the p*ss on their pricing, because they know Aussies love performance cars and will pay the money. I'm looking at around $70k on the road for one, at least 50% more than a Golf GTI, and getting towards three Fabia RS's - it might be twice as good a car, but not three times.

• Like 1

Had my heart set on a arbath 500 esseesse early '09 time but when I went for test drive I was disappointed before it had turned a wheel, it didn't fit me and i felt like i was siting on it rather than in it, it desperately needed reach adjustment on the steering column to balance leg, arm ratio (it had rake adjustment) then while in motion it had a very irritating habit of automatically applying the hazard lights when braking for corners, for me it fell a long way short of my mk1 vrs that only went last weekend. The sound of the civic type R on full tilt has it's appeal but for me it didn't feel right for every day, every time i look i keep coming back to the vrs for the best compromise for the road, it dose fast an slow very well, fords, renaults etc just don't jump out to me with something i want for everyday. If money was plentiful I would try a golf R 5 door with the dsg, if money was no object a v10 R8 for the weekend as well.

• Like 1

Absolutely mate, a 120d is all things to all men IMO, a properly rapid car that costs bugger all to run.

Just been given a double buggy that renders the wifes Astras boot completely full so I basically need a herse!

Otherwise id be all over a 1 series think they are a cracking little car, 120d x drive would be an excellent compromise for our poor weeks winter weather but shame to lose the RWD.

still if the old man decides to sell his at some point might prove challenging not to buy it off him; lusting after it quite badly as it is!

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

Absolutely mate, a 120d is all things to all men IMO, a properly rapid car that costs bugger all to run.

Just been given a double buggy that renders the wifes Astras boot completely full so I basically need a herse!

Otherwise id be all over a 1 series think they are a cracking little car, 120d x drive would be an excellent compromise for our poor weeks winter weather but shame to lose the RWD.

still if the old man decides to sell his at some point might prove challenging not to buy it off him; lusting after it quite badly as it is!

Yeah I know what you mean about the space issue. It's my only worry about owning the 1er - will it accommodate all the baby kit etc once it arrives in a few months? I think with just the 1 child we'll be fine in it but if we have another then I think I'd be looking at an Octy or ideally a 3-Touring (if I could afford it!). Then I think back to some of the tiny motors my mum/dad used for family transport for us all when we were little and they seemed to cope ok - kids these days are too spoilt haha!

I'm hearing you on this, but in a different way. I like the feel of acceleration, but the faster you go, the quicker you have to get off the loud pedal. Sometimes even the Fabia is too quick if I'm stepping on it, as I have to get off it at about 40kph on a normal 60kph road, or risk exceeding the limit. And in that case, I've only had about two seconds of "fun". I can only imagine giving the M135I the complete beans on a freeway or highway, and that would reduce the amount of opportunities for enjoyment.

So very true. On my test drive in the M135i it was at times quite frustrating having to yo-yo between warp factor 9 and slamming on the anchors to slow for the traffic in front you had caught up in 2 seconds. Still a great car tho. To properly enjoy it would require getting up at 6am on a Sunday morning to go for a blast I think!

I remember some roads in Australia being very quiet tho -you could often drive for an hour or so without seeing another car :-)

• Like 1