Automatic windscreen heating?

Well today windscreen was frosted over. Temp 3 degrees. Had auto windscreen heating set to on. Guess what? Nothing happened. Had to manually switch heated screen. It appears this option does not work?

Well today windscreen was frosted over. Temp 3 degrees. Had auto windscreen heating set to on. Guess what? Nothing happened. Had to manually switch heated screen. It appears this option does not work?

Ask the dealer at what temperature it should automatically switch on? It might be at sub-zero. They won't know the answer, so ask them to ask Skoda technical :-)

So this morning I got in my car, not frozen but cold. Started it and the display was showing the convenience consumers and the windscreen heating was on! I hadn't pressed the button and it wasn't lit. It was showing 5 degrees outside.

I couldn't tell if it did anything as it wasn't frozen. I've never had a heated windscreen before. Can you feel if it gets warm or not? It didn't feel warm to my hand.

Spoke to service at my skoda dealer today. They read manual then checked there tech bulletins. They admitted they had no idea and didnt realise this option exsisted. So they are contacting skoda tech support for help. I await a phonecall. I wonder if i will get one??????

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found this option on VCDS to enable it yet?   Dodgy / Baker do either of you have VCDS to do a scan on your car to see what adaptations may be enabled that aren't on mine. I have heated screen and washerjets but no automatic option.

Thanks

And when you press it, what happens?

I don't have any options for enabling automatic windscreen heating on mine in the Climatronic setup.

I've just pulled all of the adaptations for the HVAC module and the Infotainment, so will have a search through.

Found an interesting adaptation channel in the Central Electronics module

(2)-Window heater-Temperaturabhaengige Einschaltzeit FSH

Which translates roughly as Temperature dependent switch for windscreen heater. Seems to be set to a value of 'default' - I might take a look at that :-)

Can't find anything for enabling the menu item for it so it appears on the Infotainment device though.

Had a quick look and the only thing it can be changed to is 'time value' whatever that means???

Doesn't look like the correct thing to me.

Looks like I need to get my hands on a car which has this feature so I can pull the codes and adaptations ............ any volunteers?

• Like 1

andyvee did you try; (2)-Window heater-Temperaturabhaengige Einschaltzeit FSH,Default . Mine too is set to default I haven't tried changing it yet looking at the controller pulls I did today these are the only channels I can see that relate to window heating. Need someone with the automatic option to offer their car for a quick scan. 

(1)-Window heater-Temperaturabhaengige Einschaltzeit HSH,not active
(2)-Window heater-Temperaturabhaengige Einschaltzeit FSH,Default
(3)-Window heater-Heckscheibenheizung Zeitwert,600 s
(4)-Window heater-Running time of heated front window,600 s
(5)-Window heater-Abschalttemperatur für Heckscheibenheizung,35.0 °C
(6)-Window heater-Abschalttemperatur für Frontscheibenheizung,35.0 °C
(1)-Windshield wiper-Anzahl Betaetigungen Frontwaschanlage pro SRA Aktivierung,9

Dodgy are you willing to let andy or I download your controller settings?

Those are the same as the pulls I have.

The only other option was 'time value' or something like that.

The weird thing is others have it as a menu item on the infotainment, but I can't find anything for that in Central Electronics, HVAC or Infotainment.

I've had a look through those controllers and could not see anything that might relate to it. I have the first two options in the climate setup menu but not the 3rd, I would expect it to be in the infotainment controller.

As the below adaptation is in 5F infotainment and this looks like the adaptation to enable/display the climatronic setup. So I would have thought the options within this menu would be in the same controller?

(41)-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_clima_configuration,activated

post-57321-0-43975500-1383338773.jpg

Hi guys, so this topic and went in my car to check my car.  I have a VRS combi, 2.0TSI. I´m based in Norway and the winter package you guys in Britain talk about, I believe is standard over here.

Anyways, I have heated windshield and also heated mirrors.

So I checked the setup and saw that I did have this 3rd option of automatic windshield heating (6.5 C outside). Then I enabled it, clearly heard a relay be engaged, so I checked electric consumers and Yes it did show on the columbus. I also apparently had the heating on for the mirrors also, the knob on the door.

I went back to the setup and disabled the automatic heating, and heard the relay make a tick again, and checked electric consumers and the windshield heating was now off.

I wanted to check if this automatic windshield was related to the heated mirrors, so I disabled the heating of the mirrors. Then I went to the setup again, and enabled automatic windshield heating. No sound of relay being engaged. 

I haven't tested systematically, but from my point of view it seems like when ticking on automatic windscreen heating, it is heating the windshield when the mirror heating is enabled with the knob. But it wasn't really the same result every time i tried, so I am not sure at all..

Maybe this is useful information for somebody?

Tried some more, and this time the heating of the windshield was enabled despite that mirror heating was off, so maybe no connection between the two features. It seemed to behave different this second time i was fiddling with it.. 

Edited by furyfax

I also have this option plus another one which I am not sure what it is about " automated supplimentary heating". For sure I did not order such a thing.

Edited by Bogdan81