Winters coming, what can I do to heat engine up quicker

Although I wouldn't be rushing to try one myself simply because of the complication of trying to get a mains power connection out to my car.

This is the main stumbling block when it comes to the block heater idea (yes it is the stick on pad type). Not so much getting mains power out to the car, but how to satisfactorily and safely connect the device to the mains without opening the bonnet. 

To do this properly with the UK 240v system would require a blue all weather type plug (the kind you see connecting caravans to the mains). These are big bulky plugs that would be hard to conceal on the outside of the car. I suppose it's possible it could be mounted behind the front bumper somewhere, and be out of sight yet still accessible.

Although better fuel economy would be a nice benefit of such a heater, probably the main reason for me installing one is that I start work very early and I am on the road as early as 5.15am. Leaving at this time, winter seems to last a long time as I often experience frosts into early May. So it would be nice to get into the car and have warm air available as soon as I start it!      

• Like 1

The poorer MPG we all get in winter I'm sure are a combination of the above. Rain absolutely makes a big difference to rolling resistance....I'd say 5% at least. As you say, no engine mod will stop this.

Shifting tonnes of water during a journey tends to do that......

This is the main stumbling block when it comes to the block heater idea (yes it is the stick on pad type). Not so much getting mains power out to the car, but how to satisfactorily and safely connect the device to the mains without opening the bonnet. 

To do this properly with the UK 240v system would require a blue all weather type plug (the kind you see connecting caravans to the mains). These are big bulky plugs that would be hard to conceal on the outside of the car. I suppose it's possible it could be mounted behind the front bumper somewhere, and be out of sight yet still accessible.

Although better fuel economy would be a nice benefit of such a heater, probably the main reason for me installing one is that I start work very early and I am on the road as early as 5.15am. Leaving at this time, winter seems to last a long time as I often experience frosts into early May. So it would be nice to get into the car and have warm air available as soon as I start it!      

I am with you on all of this and I would be interested in hearing from people who have fitted an electrical pre-heater and how they did it. What I do know is that it does not require especially bulky plugs, or not necessarily although they may be the most economical. Fischer connectors make some very nice (but expensive) bulkhead and cable connectors specified for 220V and adequate current loading with all levels of ingress protection and they are very small.

to my knowledge the additive that you are talking about is always in the fuel all year round, the only common additive that other retailers add is an anti foaming agent.

I'm unaware of any provider that is adding additives only during winter months.

The United Kingdom differentiates diesel fuel into Summer and Winter Fuel according to BS EN 950and BS EN14214 (biodiesel).

Summer Fuel  (CFPP value) -5 °C (timeframe) 16th March to 15th November (Cloud point) 3 °C

Winter Fuel (CFPP value) -15 °C (timeframe) 16th November to 15th March (Cloud point) -5 °C

Edited by King Arfur

to my knowledge the additive that you are talking about is always in the fuel all year round, the only common additive that other retailers add is an anti foaming agent.

I'm unaware of any provider that is adding additives only during winter months.

No one is suggesting only adding additives in winter, but rather a change in the additive pack over the winter months in order to meet the BS EN 590 standard as I and others have posted. Also, in addition to the anti-foaming agent you mention I think you'll find there are also additives for cleaning, and in some cases to increase the Centane number. There could well be additives for other things too, like to prevent corrosion or to improve lubricity, but I am less sure of this.

Edited by Ultrasonic

Fischer connectors make some very nice (but expensive) bulkhead and cable connectors specified for 220V and adequate current loading with all levels of ingress protection and they are very small.

They look very good. Very high end connectors by the look of some of the applications they are used in......deep sea submersibles, military grade equipment and operating theatre equipment. I imagine they might be out of my budget for my block heater idea!

I have had a revelation with the plug problem.......I could use an IEC (kettle plug) connection. They are relatively compact and could conceivably be concealed behind the front bumper in a sheltered location. I would want to keep any 240v wiring runs to an absolute minimum on the car to guard against any chafing, so the front bumper would be my preferred location.  

The very thing I was thinking about!

Although it's not shown in the photo, there is bung with a finger loop on it. It keeps the socket watertight when the plug is not connected.

IIRC, they came as part of a kit that hinged the LH small, lower grill.

Although it's not shown in the photo, there is bung with a finger loop on it. It keeps the socket watertight when the plug is not connected.

IIRC, they came as part of a kit that hinged the LH small, lower grill.

Even better. Sounds perfect......Seriously tempted to install one now.

This is the Heko grill cover fitted to my pre-fl Octy. Goes on very easily but I would prefer it if the screws where black. I only fitted it today but I have a very early start in the morning so we'll see how it performs (or not)post-22824-0-29941700-1384700904_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics. No way I'd be leaving those screws as they are, would annoy the hell out of me, especially on a black car with a colour coded grille surround as well!

As said, a touch of black paint on them, or some black screws :thumbup: