CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

Cthe new Feb 2013, just failed oil consumption test. apparently I'm waiting on the "technical team" in Milton keynes to advise on next steps. Will keep you posted

That will be interesting, as the latest "new CAVE reco engines " are supposed to be a CTHE PLUS variant level

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Partners new re-con engine now installed last week by Turners of Erlestoke . Having driven it, for the first time yesterday, it is running sweet and no rattles or noises apparent to date. OIL LEVEL top of stick markings on cold check.

So very pleased with there prompt action to replace the unit, having done the two test and placed the order for the new engine directly after the 2nd failure-needing no rubber stamping by Skoda UK.

So thanks Dennis and Kevin for your supportive approach ,treating Customer needs/requirement as their priority and without fuss!

However, the same cannot be said of Skoda UK who continue to play the "Dead Bat" approach making Customer "FIGHT" for everything, when in reality they should be given the Basics as a right:

New Engine(if tests failed), Extension to Warranty, including breakdown cover. (1 year minimum) and at least 1 year re-imbursement of excessive oil usage approx. Approx. £100 min.

All Consumption tests costs, should be covered by Skoda UK (not putting the dealership under pressure to fund the work-as I'm lead to believe they do!) THIS HAS ALWAYS CREATED A CUSTOMER FACING FRUSTRATION - WITH THE DEALER. (Not their fault)

So Skoda UK ,get your ass in gear and set up a Basic Standard replacement package for Customers. This might just then realise some of your team to be fully focused on other Customer Issues.

Own up to the problem and don't keep playing silly buggers, because you are slowly driving some CORE Customers AWAY,with what is, in Your Global terms a relative small volume problem!

• Like 2

Partners new re-con engine now installed last week by Turners of Erlestoke . Having driven it, for the first time yesterday, it is running sweet and no rattles or noises apparent to date. OIL LEVEL top of stick markings on cold check.

So very pleased with there prompt action to replace the unit, having done the two test and placed the order for the new engine directly after the 2nd failure-needing no rubber stamping by Skoda UK.

So thanks Dennis and Kevin for your supportive approach ,treating Customer needs/requirement as their priority and without fuss!

However, the same cannot be said of Skoda UK who continue to play the "Dead Bat" approach making Customer "FIGHT" for everything, when in reality they should be given the Basics as a right:

New Engine(if tests failed), Extension to Warranty, including breakdown cover. (1 year minimum) and at least 1 year re-imbursement of excessive oil usage approx. Approx. £100 min.

All Consumption tests costs, should be covered by Skoda UK (not putting the dealership under pressure to fund the work-as I'm lead to believe they do!) THIS HAS ALWAYS CREATED A CUSTOMER FACING FRUSTRATION - WITH THE DEALER. (Not their fault)

So Skoda UK ,get your ass in gear and set up a Basic Standard replacement package for Customers. This might just then realise some of your team to be fully focused on other Customer Issues.

Own up to the problem and don't keep playing silly buggers, because you are slowly driving some CORE Customers AWAY,with what is, in Your Global terms a relative small volume problem!

Glad to hear you got your new engine sorted Keith. Fingers crossed this ones a good 'un!

Did you manage to get any kind of compensation and/or warranty extension from Skoda UK?

Tom,

Thanks for that.

As briefly indicated above my package deal with Skoda UK :

New recon-engine to CTHE plus spec , well installed by Turners of Erlestoke ,Wiltshire. 250 smooth run-in miles to date. An excellent buy for someone looking for a well cared for Fabia vRS.  

Catalytic Convertor visually inspected and passed off okay.

Car will now have a 1 year Skoda extended warranty supported with RAC Breakdown cover, from July 2014.

Re-imbursement of excess oil consumed, above the norm since reported high consumption level to deal, anticipate approx. £100 cash back.

Car was also due for it's next service at 44000 miles ,so a reduced cost of service given - which included the brake fluid change. 

New plugs , engine filters and oils part of the engine change at Skoda's cost.

This car can now be acquired from Barnstaple Skoda-Marshall,(contact Adrian Winter) as we have PX it for another, very well spec'd Fabia vRS on 13 plated - 8 month old .Black Stealth version,with red trim!

• Like 2

Just a little update on my plight,after having the new engine fitted and a 1 year extended warranty as well lasting until september 2016 i went to flog it and was left amazed when i tried to part exchange it remembering it only has 17k on the clock and is in excellent condition barring engine trouble but with new engine at only 500 miles.

i was greeted with the words as he was trying to pass on to main skoda dealers with its got leprosy and your cars toxic mate and loads of people thanks to the internet are not touching it with a barge pole.

so much for thinking when i bought the car i had a car that might keep its value.

i have traded it in but very disappointed at my loss and also the fact that skoda dealers where not even wanting to touch it to didn't give me great faith.

i was there when the salesman who is a friend of my dads was trying to sell it on.

3rd time lucky a garage accepted it partially but only because it had just had a new engine and the fact that they know some are having 2 and 3 so very nervous.

all i can say is never again will my shadow cross the threshold of any skoda dealer a very sad day. :wall:

the man tried several skoda dealers mate and none seemed that keen to have it, all i kept getting was if the engine goes thats over 4k if the dsg goes thats 4k basically it was just a big expense and i felt i was leaving someone with a noose around their neck waiting for it to tighten.

its a shame skoda don't have the same conscience as others do.

• Like 2

not even the new engine or an extended one year full warranty on top of the year and a half left looked appetising.

i felt like my stomach had been ripped out i just kept thinking how can such a company do that to ordinary hard working folk.

shame on you skoda.

the worst thing was the dealer who i bought it from simpsons in great Yarmouth i called them to complain and the lad that sold it to me said a manager would call me back.

guess what 3 weeks later i am still waiting all i can say is dealer of the year my arse. :@

Edited by desciple0

the man tried several skoda dealers mate and none seemed that keen to have it, all i kept getting was if the engine goes thats over 4k if the dsg goes thats 4k basically it was just a big expense and i felt i was leaving someone with a noose around their neck waiting for it to tighten.

its a shame skoda don't have the same conscience as others do.

Sorry to hear your news mate.

• Like 1

We live and learn - unfortunately, I always seem to have to learn the hard way :( .

I'm off to York races tomorrow - I'll try backing a few no. 8s :) .

• Like 1

Partners new re-con engine now installed last week by Turners of Erlestoke . Having driven it, for the first time yesterday, it is running sweet and no rattles or noises apparent to date. OIL LEVEL top of stick markings on cold check.

However, the same cannot be said of Skoda UK who continue to play the "Dead Bat" approach making Customer "FIGHT" for everything, when in reality they should be given the Basics as a right:

New Engine(if tests failed), Extension to Warranty, including breakdown cover. (1 year minimum) and at least 1 year re-imbursement of excessive oil usage approx. Approx. £100 min.

All Consumption tests costs, should be covered by Skoda UK (not putting the dealership under pressure to fund the work-as I'm lead to believe they do!) THIS HAS ALWAYS CREATED A CUSTOMER FACING FRUSTRATION - WITH THE DEALER. (Not their fault)

Own up to the problem and don't keep playing silly buggers, because you are slowly driving some CORE Customers AWAY,with what is, in Your Global terms a relative small volume problem!

^^^

Couldn't agree more. In relative terms for Skoda the numbers involved are absolutely tiny - mind you, it's not the first problem Skoda has taken the hear no evil approach to customer care.

Off Topic on the thread that had a purpose so sorry.

Asking Prices are much the same as they have been on Autotrader,

and there is around the 100 cars that are usually advertised, some sell and some maybe stop being advertised. So there is a turnover on the cars being advertised.

Skoda Dealerships are the ones that seem to Ask too much for used cars, 

but if they paid a good Trade in price, its their business to try to make money on both sales,

but some Skoda Dealerships have lots to answer for on being less than truthful about issues with vRS & issues.

It is hard luck if a nobody wants to offer a good price for your car,

but sometimes you find someplace wanting to shift something and move stock that will give you enough on your car.

Skoda are now doing a 2 year Fixed Price Service plan on cars from 3-8 years old which might suit some that are 

keeping a vRS, and along with a 2 year Extended Warranty, it does possibly give peace of mind.

george

• Like 1

Just to add my own (updated) experiences to the topic:

New VRS arrives July 2012.

Misfire & Plug failure at 17k under medium acceleration - new engine installed by dealership in Warwickshire.

Receive car back and coolant hose pops off and sprays over engine bay a few days later - not secured properly during engine refit.  Fixed and re filled by Skoda assist.

Misfire & Plug failure at 33k under hard acceleration - new engine installed by dealership in Norfolk.

Receive car back and have service at around 38k. Discovery of cracked sump and bare wiring loom as a result of incorrectly fitted engine.  Fixed by dealership in Warwickshire and paid by skoda assist as dealerships could not agree costs / liability between themselves.

Current Mileage - 45k with a mild misfire after starting up.  

Majority of driving in this vehicle is at high motorway speeds plus regular blasts on country roads (warm engine only!). Car always given time  to cool down afterwards before switching engine off.  Oil consumption - average.

Future - unknown!

• Like 1

<snip> Car always given time  to cool down afterwards before switching engine off. <snip>

I thought that the need to allow the engine on any modern turbocharged road car to cool down before switching off was generally considered to be a myth?

Incidentally, you do seem to have suffered at the hands of some remarkably incompetent and slapdash workshops.

• 2 weeks later...

2010 (60 plate) VRS 40,000 miles - no previous warranty work from previous 1 owner.

I have had the following experience:

ECU replaced, faulty ECU was sent by Skoda UK initially which was then replaced again with another ECU. This was down to the ECU not earthing properly and continued warning lights. Doesn't appear to have poor oil consumption but haven't driven it long enough, only owned it since March 2014 and it's spent 6 weeks in the dealer with this issue and a cracked turbo pipe among a parking sensor fault and DSG oil change recall. 

Due to time spent in garage so close to purchase managed to haggle an extra 1 years approved used warranty, basically extending it to 2 years, and also a free service in October. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brought a vrs 2011 reg from a Toyota garage (it was a part-ex), it had 12500 on the clock i got to 16500 and gone through 4.5L of oil. Took it to a main dealer with 2 days warranty left, they done oil consumption test (threatened me with labor costs if the oil use wasn't excessive) but it was so they fitted breather pipes then re-tested. I was told it that its fixed and will now use 0.5L in 1000M which is in skoda's tolerance of fair usage. I am picking the car up today so we shall see how it performs. I have heard that breather pipes are just a temporary fix and now i'm out of warranty i am a little worried . 

Brought a vrs 2011 reg from a Toyota garage (it was a part-ex), it had 12500 on the clock i got to 16500 and gone through 4.5L of oil. Took it to a main dealer with 2 days warranty left, they done oil consumption test (threatened me with labor costs if the oil use wasn't excessive) but it was so they fitted breather pipes then re-tested. I was told it that its fixed and will now use 0.5L in 1000M which is in skoda's tolerance of fair usage. I am picking the car up today so we shall see how it performs. I have heard that breather pipes are just a temporary fix and now i'm out of warranty i am a little worried . 

The "Breather Fix" made very little difference after the first test and the test post breather fit, failed also.

New engine was order that day of the 2nd test,

Have you raised the case No. with Skoda UK customer services for the on going history file.

Edited by vrskeith

i was told by the dealers i went to that the 1st owner raised the issue but was sent away because there wasn't enough mileage on the car for the piston rings to be bedded in. Surely if this hasn't worked i can take it back to the skoda garage because they haven't fixed the original problem. ? out of warranty or not they claimed to have sorted the issue when i was in warranty..........

i was told by the dealers i went to that the 1st owner raised the issue but was sent away because there wasn't enough mileage on the car for the piston rings to be bedded in. Surely if this hasn't worked i can take it back to the skoda garage because they haven't fixed the original problem. ? out of warranty or not they claimed to have sorted the issue when i was in warranty..........

Is that on the dealers records?

As these are usually verbal discussions and hence not recorded.

The fact that you started the action inside warranty is in your favour anyway.

I believe so as he informed me of this when we first spoke and i gave him my reg.

The dealer said this breather mod will be updated to my vehicle records.

Do I take the car back and see how the oil goes for 1000M and if still bad go strait back to them? 

• Like 1

Get copies from the dealer of the two sets of results.

If the 2nd test was borderline ,then make your dissatisfaction known to the dealer and placed on written record of the file.

Ask them if they have a Case No. raised with Skoda UK CUSTOMER SERVICES.

If so get it and communicate with SKoda UK.

HAVE THE CAR BACK AND UNDERTAKE ANOTHER TEST OF YOUR OWN, over greater mileage than the test, say until the warning light comes on. 

Is the car now full to the 3.6 ltr capacity