CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

Bought 62 plate fabia VRS may 2013 . Had oil issues from start believe was a CAVE engine. Engine replaced after 4500 miles in August 13 and new engine no better may have been CAVE. Just had its third engine fitted, told its not a CAVE but rejected car anyway as had enough. Never had an issue with them doing the work and the dealer and skoda are sourcing a replacement 63 plate ex demo car with 3k on clock that SKODA UK have confirmed definitely has the engine that does not have the oil tolerance issues. Heres hoping to an easier life with the newer VRS,

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.

I remember your first post & wanted to ask about your car.

The new CTHE engines became available late 2012,  and your car should have a CTHE engine not a CAVE 

unless it was built Mid 2012.

Being a 62 plate it will have been first registered between Sept 2012 & March 2013.

Do you know when it was first registered, which month?

& on the V5 the Engine Code shows if it was a CAVE or a CTHE engine.

No idea how Skoda can confirm that the Ex Demo Car has No Oil Consumption Issues.

They have Dealers test cars and say No Issues, and weeks or months later they are getting new engines.

Dealership employees thrashing it about for 3,000 miles on 95 ron Petrol is often been the reason they are Oil Users.

I would ask them to provide a 5 year Warranty with the car.

Then you might be better off if you decide to sell it at some point.

Was it a  new engine first, or i beleive you first said a Bottom End.?

They are Hopeless really and you know they lie sometimes because their Lips move.

& if you ask for things in Writing they try not to do that.

• Like 1

Bought 62 plate fabia VRS may 2013 . Had oil issues from start believe was a CAVE engine. Engine replaced after 4500 miles in August 13 and new engine no better may have been CAVE. Just had its third engine fitted, told its not a CAVE but rejected car anyway as had enough. Never had an issue with them doing the work and the dealer and skoda are sourcing a replacement 63 plate ex demo car with 3k on clock that SKODA UK have confirmed definitely has the engine that does not have the oil tolerance issues. Heres hoping to an easier life with the newer VRS,

I wonder what Skoda's plan is for your existing car...

Edited by austenw90

Sell it to me hopefully, cheaply.

Or give it to me to try out.,

I would fit good spark plugs, put in 98 ron petrol, get the correct ECU update on it,

put in the correct quantity of oil, just 3.6 litres

and drive it quite hard, and probably it will be perfectly fine.

Likely it will probably go to auction,

some Dealer will buy it, and some person ends up with an Oil user.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

'We never take a faulty car, inspect it properly, and resolve the problems, see a model 100% reliable,

we are Germans!'

Just keep the Buying Public in the Dark.

• Like 4

<snip> the dealer and skoda are sourcing a replacement 63 plate ex demo car with 3k on clock that SKODA UK have confirmed definitely has the engine that does not have the oil tolerance issues. <snip>

I wonder what basis Skoda have for that degree of confidence?

The popular wisdom here seems to be that there is no such engine????

Letter from Honest John:

180PS Twincharger engines in Fabias, Polos and A1s have been a catastrophe for VAG. It seems that the complex induction inevitably feeds too much neat fuel into the bores, causing the bore wear and the consequent high oil consumption. These engines were dropped late last year. The Polo is re-emerging with a turbo only, belt cam EA211 ACT 150 engine. By replacing your engine Skoda has done all it has to do. Where the fault has recurred, Skoda has, on occasion, 'bought back' the complete car at current market value. No reason why the fuelling and oil problem should have affected the other components. Yes, you do need to inform the DVLA of the change of engine number so it is recorded on the V5C.

• Like 1

Letter from Honest John:

180PS Twincharger engines in Fabias, Polos and A1s have been a catastrophe for VAG. It seems that the complex induction inevitably feeds too much neat fuel into the bores, causing the bore wear and the consequent high oil consumption.<snip>

VERY interesting.

I wonder where Honest John got that from and whether VAG could mitigate the problem at all by an ECU change - reducing performance?

A bit of a simplification from Honest John. & not very accurate or current.

And the latest e c u update is good for the c a v e engine.

But the spark plugs are still an issue.

And the inlet manifold with the turbo heat on one cylinder. Then when low oil pressure wear on bearings. But mostly over fueling. Fouled plug. Misfire on turbo.

So several issues.

PS

these engines were not dropped.

Late 2012 they revised them. CAVE replaced by CTHE 1.4 TSI Dual Charge.

Changed internals and map.

SEAT launched the 2013 Ibiza Cupra with lower emissions better economy and performance figures.

Today you can walk into a dealership and order a factory build car with a 1.4 TSI dual charge CTHE engine. with Min 132k w or 136 k w.

Not really discontinued.

Lets see how the 1.4 TSI ACT & 1.4 TFSI COD engines get on with miles on them.

& what engine the Polo MK7 GTI is getting with 189 BHP & a manual gearbox.

As VW have announced via leaks.

Further to my post about my cave engine blowing up.i have now had confirmation of a new engine at a cost to Skoda of about £4500 so not cheap.

I am told the old cave engine isn't used anymore and this will be a new one bought over from the factory in Germany.

I hope to receive it next week but am told it takes between 2 and 3 days to fit.

I think Skoda are pushing the dealer to fit it quick as i already have had a hire car over 2 weeks.

Maybe if they had listened the first time at the oil consumption test stage it wouldn't have been costing as much as it is.

Thank you all for your help on here especially freedom.

Its nice to know there are genuine people out there that are willing to help,just a shame the manufacturers are not as obliging.

• Like 1

THAT IS VERY INTERESTNG!

I WONDER IF MY PARTNER WILL HAVE THE SAME REPLACEMENT,DUE 28TH APRIL.

Hope Mr Tom Chadwick can tell me that on Tuesday.

With Mr STEWART help!

**Interesting on the Engine coming from the 'Factory in Germany'.**

Ask Skoda UK Maybe.

Do the 1.4 TSI 180ps Twincharger engines or the Mk2 Fabia vRS actually get built in a Factory in Germany?

Why is the engine coming from there?

MAYBE THE ENGINE IS COMING FROM, BAUNATAL, KASSEL.

The' REMANUFACTURED ENGINES & GEARBOX' FACILITY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_factories

(It says the DSG 7 speed gearboxes are mounted to the 4 cylinder engines at this plant)

If you want to know what engine is fitted, you need to ask Skoda UK Customer Services to confirm in Writing.

Since they stopped having Engines Rebuilt with new Rings, scraper rings, bearings etc at UK Dealerships.

Some have had.

New Engines, that were brand new from the Engine Production Line & the Factory,

New Engines that were From the Factory but with Other Distributors and then supplied/bought and delivered to Dealershops for fitting.

Some 'New Engines' are Factory Remanufactured/Reconditioned Engines, those are previously used engines, not from your car, (someone will in the future get your engine block with new internals fitted in their car)

that are rebuilt with new internal parts, these look as new, exactly as new, 

Prepared and built after cleaning , striping,and Remanufactured/reconditioning, looks no different from a 'New Engine' off the Engine Production Line. But it is not the same. It is a Remanufactured/Rebuilt/Reconditioned engine.

All can be perfectly good when fitted.

So ask, When was my Replacement Engine Built, is it Brand New, never previously in a car, or is it a Remanufactured/Rebuilt/Reconditioned engine?

WHAT ARE THE ENGINE NUMBERS ON THE REPLACEMENT ENGINE YOU FITTED INTO MY CAR?

Does it have the same numbers as on my V5 & VIN Stickers, are the numbers restamped,

was there a OLd Block used with the original numbers removed and restamped by the engine Rebuilder/reconditioner?

george

Yours was lovely & new looking,

(sorry i used the picture the other day of your car minus engine)

we do not know if New off an engine production line or one Remanufactured, do we.?

Is it behaving OK?  & How many miles since replacement was fitted?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/257726-fabia-vrs-engine-replacement-36k/page-2

post #46, the engine as they arrive.

i asked if i needed to report a new engine to the dvla and my dealer told me that the new engine comes with a blank block and they stamp my old engine number onto the new block.

interesting will update you when i get it back.

i asked if i needed to report a new engine to the dvla and my dealer told me that the new engine comes with a blank block and they stamp my old engine number onto the new block.

interesting will update you when i get it back.

Have you asked Skoda UK anything else as part of the deal. e.g. extended warranty , new cat etc.

Thanks. I'll be writing to customer services this weekend for a year's free warranty.

Must be worth a Skoda UK GOODWILL  submission.

news update my local dealer says my new engines ready and pick it up tomorrow morning its been test driven and they say it drives amazingly but will soon see.

not asked skoda uk anything yet being honest until i get the car back but will then be pressing them for some out of pocket expenses minimal.

going up for sale then wondering what a sept 2012 1.4 vrs will go for with a new engine and nearly 17k on the clock.any offers lol.

Edited by desciple0

news update my local dealer says my new engines ready and pick it up tomorrow morning its been test driven and they say it drives amazingly but will soon see.

not asked skoda uk anything yet being honest until i get the car back but will then be pressing them for some out of pocket expenses minimal.

going up for sale then wondering what a sept 2012 1.4 vrs will go for with a new engine and nearly 17k on the clock.any offers lol.

BEST OF LUCK FROM PICK UP TODAY!

It would appear from a survey, done by members, over the last few weeks.

That many engine replacement  Customer have been requesting , as a minimum , of  a 1 year extensions to their( or even in some case where it had just  run out) Skoda warranty and with some effort  have at last achieved the "HAPPY SKODA" outcome.

Well done you lot for persisting !!