Adaptive headlights - sometimes happens, sometimes not ? !

Maybe I am being a bit thick, but you know this process the headlights go through, lower then go In and out, then settle down when using Auto mode.

Why is it that this sometimes happens and at other times not?

Any ideas guys? 

Mine do not do the routine when they come on automatically during the day (say driving into a tunnel) but they do every time at night when I start the car. 

And had a very strange thing last night...sitting in traffic in Germany I noticed my headlights seemed to be rotating like a propeller in front of me...a bit like a lighthouse but on its side. Took me ages to work out that it was rain drops running own the lens causing the shadow on the car in front. 

I've been trying to figure this too. I have noticed when I am in stop and go traffic that when I stop (even after just going circa 100 meters), the headlights seem to rotate inward. Fun to watch, but I would like to understand what they actually do at different speeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has 4 settings.

1. Intercity (basic) 0-15 km/hr or 50-90 km/hr

2. City (Wider and shorter, left side turned inward slightly to avoid blinding oncoming drivers) 15-50 km/hr

3. Highway (Lifted, farther reaching) 90 km/hr and above.

4. Rain (Wider but shorter then city. Both lights dip a little to avoid blinding. Works only with the wipers on auto, and from 20-70 km/hr

And ofcourse the light bending function varies in degrees depending on your speed (when going faster, the bend will be less because the car assumes the bend is gradual. When going slower, the bend will be more extreme because the car assumes the bend is sharper)

If you know the speeds that it uses to change the settings, you can predict the changes. I know when I go above 50 (which is the speed limit in urban area's here in Belgium) I notice the lights swivel inward from their wide position (from City to Intercity), so I know when I'm speeding ;)

Note; The AFS function only works when the light switch is in "AUTO" setting, if you switch them on using the dipped beam position on the light switchthey will be in a fixed position! Only the automatic levelling system is active in that case. Only with the light switch in the AUTO position and when it gets dark, they will come on and do their complete levelling + AFS-calibration routine. Even when driving (it's just not easy to see when they do on the move)

One of the best features of this car IMHO.

Edited by Too Tall

The manual explains it fairly simply but here is some oldish Skoda promo stuff that is a bit more expansive.  Note it refers to LHD, reverse for people who drive on the correct side of the road.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59721777/Skoda/Superb/Adaptivni_svetlomety_AFS_ENG_07_2008.pdf

I was thinking about this last night. We also have a 370Z which has HID’s and operates in the same way as the Skoda. But thinking about it I have never in three years seen the the “headlight dance” performing the self levelling.

What I am doing differently? The Zee lives in the garage and if its dark then the garage light is on. Start engine, reverse out of garage, close garage, turn on headlights, drive away.

PING !!!!

The answer !!!!

The headlight dance has NOTHING to do with the lights being on. Every time the engine is started the the headlight dance happens, whether the lights are on or not. Sometimes I start the Skoda with the lights on and see the dance, other times I start the engine then switch on the lights – no dance. This is because it has already happened and I didn’t see because the lights were off.

Tested the theory and it works.

Q.E.D.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this last night. We also have a 370Z which has HID’s and operates in the same way as the Skoda. But thinking about it I have never in three years seen the the “headlight dance” performing the self levelling.

What I am doing differently? The Zee lives in the garage and if its dark then the garage light is on. Start engine, reverse out of garage, close garage, turn on headlights, drive away.

PING !!!!

The answer !!!!

The headlight dance has NOTHING to do with the lights being on. Every time the engine is started the the headlight dance happens, whether the lights are on or not. Sometimes I start the Skoda with the lights on and see the dance, other times I start the engine then switch on the lights – no dance. This is because it has already happened and I didn’t see because the lights were off.

Tested the theory and it works.

Q.E.D.

Yup - that's the way all HID cars I've had operate. Although the 'dance' is usually limited to up and down!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

As above, they only dance if you start the engine with lights turned on. I go back to the days when starting an engine with the lights on would blow bulbs due to the extra voltage surge from the charging system. Even with modern better voltage regulation I still never start the engine with the lights on, I did check for the dancing lights when I obtained my first Skoda with the AFS lighting. Although the current used with lights on is not a very great deal I always like to have the maximum power of the battery for starting purposes especially now colder weather is coming.

• 1 year later...

I realize that the post is old, but I have a question about AFS lights.

Every time I start the car, my lights goes; Down, Out, In, Up again.

However, every second time I start my car, my right lens stays in down position and does not go up again, and then an error appears in Maxidot. Something about AFS Light Bending is not available or something.

Is there anyone out there who can help me? :clap:

Sorry, forgot to write that.

I was in to a quick search for errors at a shop, but no errors on the lights.

I plan to go in again for something else. Maybe I should make them check the error while I stay in there with them?