Winter wheels and tyres on today

Ours are on now,  Nokian WR D3 on steel rims from mytyres.  Thankfully I got the PCD and centrebore correct; mytyres don't list our exact model so I got the ones for the 1.2TSI.  Actually, as long as you don't try to fit Octavia I wheels (different PCD), or put 15" wheels on a vRS, it's probably always going to work.

My daughter thinks it looks naff with wheel trims.

Edited by rogerzilla

Got mine on today, Continental TS830 all round on a set of 17" Zeniths. I took it for the obligatory drive and they really change the way the car drives! The ride is significantly smoother, slightly dulled in comparison to the SC2s, but all in all very nice. I found a greasy road with leaves all over it and there wasn't even a twitch, even when i tried to upset things a bit.

Now I'm hoping for an awful winter, but you can be sure as damned it'll be the mildest and driest on record...

Still, let the the winter tyre experiment begin!

• Like 2

They're atrocious for the first mile - it's like driving on ice due to the slimy mould release compound. After that they're pretty much OK although they don't reach full grip for 100 miles or so.

I wouldn't say atrocious by any means, but the grip is certainly sub optimal. I couldn't get mine to misbehave without doing things that would normally make it misbehave irrespective of tyres and road conditions.

Me neither.

Wife's steel wheels and tyres going on today. It's possibly going to be a mild week, but ...opportunity today so. Fitting them.

They are brand new, so this next week should see them bedded in nicely before it gets really cold in the coming weeks

Sorry Chris and Gazman, the Met Office expects no significant frost nor snow at least before early December!

That is unless you live in Braemar which is quite a different matter from Slough!

Yesterday I was driving in torrential rain at 5°C in the south west of England. Conditions where winter tyres would definitely have been the safer option.

Did ours last week - temp here dipping below freezing during the night for the past few nights which makes for interesting driving 1st thing, particularly as the gritters are not out here due to an ongoing staff/employer dispute at Stirling Council.

Ski season started yesterday up north - woo-hoo! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Fitted my brand new steelies and winters today.

Did the man thing and didn't read the instructions. Had a quick look as I was about to throw them out when I realised that my tyres fitted on the wrong side! Cue having to fit my old rim to swap over the tyres and voila!

post-94997-0-08124800-1384108091_thumb.jpg

Didn't have time to clean the Neptunes so will order some Iron-X and clean them shortly.

Paul

Put these on last week prior to flying out to Denmark. Glad I did as it was pi$$ing down on my return!

Morning temperature been about freezing all week. This is the first winter using Nokian A3 205/55/16 on steelies. For the previous 3 winters I was using Nokian WR G2 on 225/45/17 on Proteus alloys.

post-60158-0-62595200-1384134685_thumb.jpg

Put mine on yesterday, Conti TS850 from last winter, and were superb.

Long ago, there used to be a thread here where someone has fit the VW Caddy pastic hubcaps to these steel rims, the small center ones.

I have the full plastic Skoda covers for my steels, but those smaller center ones would be nice.

24q7a0w.jpg

Caddy ones

23jmy3c.jpg

Edited by CEPi

I've got a set of those that I picked up cheap on EBay last year, this summer they have been tidied up using Plasti-Dip in Matt Black.

Still warm enough down here that I don't need to put mine on yet.

Near Slough i have'nt seen the temp dip below 6 c yet, c'mon winter where are you, i'm desperate to try mine out. The way things are going they'll be on mid-december and off mid march..

Chris - what size are the centre caps on these?

For my winters (17" from a Mk2 TT) I got blank wheel centres from eBay, and ordered up some PastyBoy wheel centres :)

as Gazman says when is it going to become consistently cold weather tyre weather!

A bit of ice on road on Sunday morning but today it's 9 Degrees F in sunny Newcastle.

Weatherman predicts some winter weather brewing in next two weeks but only on hills so look out Aviemore and Keswick. forthe south it's still wait and see.

Nevertheless it's November 12th and so my 1.8 tsi is now shod with its 225/45 R17 Nokian WR D3s from today

Chris - what size are the centre caps on these?

For my winters (17" from a Mk2 TT) I got blank wheel centres from eBay, and ordered up some PastyBoy wheel centres :)

60mm Steve 

Cant find any that will fit other than the Audi ones with a metal ring attached

These are the ones I have fitted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-4-AUDI-ALLOY-WHEEL-CENTRE-CAPS-60MM-/181256565642?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a33bbb38a#ht_967wt_904