Dip it, dip it real good!..................(a DIY wheel refurb thread)

Sparkly

To mask the edge of the wheels such on Gigaros around the machined edge, you can use Coach lining/pin striping Tape to mask,

or just get the correct thin masking tape.

george

Am I right in thinking though that relative to say masking off the tyres this would need to be meticulous in order to get a good outline.

I'm also unsure how the dip would react when you pull the tape, no basis for it, but I might worry that it would tear.

195/50 R 16 could actually sit a wee ticky taller than the 205/40 R 17's. mine did. which was a good thing for winter, snow etc IMO

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

I just thought by the picture they looked a bit smaller,  please no tape measures, just sat side by side will do.

george

Edit,  you would practice with the tape on the edge you are masking, no idea with Plasti Dip or similar.

Depends on thickness you are using of coating and removing masking soon after finishing, not leaving it on till later..

I mask , then spray, remove masking and lacquer, the edge.

With paint it is rather different.

PS, and there are many widths of Masking tapes, Art shops are a good place sometimes rather than Motor Factors.

what you used then faster masking with wide tape, sometimes when not using paper or plastic.

Where simply implies 3 hours of swearing and ending up with everything covered in little bits of the paint stuff.

Allegedly :rofl:

Personally believe would be ok from a well prepped wheel face, if enough coats, deviate from that and........well the above :)

Personally believe would be ok from a well prepped wheel face, if enough coats, deviate from that and........well the above :)

I just get the feeling the bits would cling to anything it came into contact with, including you, the floor, walls etc.

195/50 R 16 could actually sit a wee ticky taller than the 205/40 R 17's. mine did. which was a good thing for winter, snow etc IMO

I just thought by the picture they looked a bit smaller,  please no tape measures, just sat side by side will do.

george

Edit,  you would practice with the tape on the edge you are masking, no idea with Plasti Dip or similar.

Depends on thickness you are using.

I mask , then spray, remove masking and lacquer, the edge.

With paint it is rather different.

George, I know you know your onions on spraying, as you've mentioned in previous conversation the dip sprays pretty thick and I think this would hamper detail work compared to paint.

The above was my thinking on the winter profile I picked 50% of 195 is a shade more than 45% of 205. Will try to get a side by side shot, I think the Vred's might stand quite tall, I also need to double check my tyre pressures.

I just get the feeling the bits would cling to anything it came into contact with, including you, the floor, walls etc.

This is fortunately false, totally.

I had my test wheel in the front room on a mat peeling off the sidewall overspray, the peeled bits large or small are pretty inert, like how shrink wrap works is a good explanation. Dry, no tack and can be picked up with a DustBuster.

• Like 1

195 does not mean automatically less tread on the ground,  195 205 215 etc is the tyre width,

not always the same as tread width.

i have some All terrain & road 195's that are wider than All Terrain 205's I have 215's that have less tread on the road than both of those.

• Like 1

I think this is finally the thread that will convert my wife to accepting that Briskoda is not in fact the nickname of my mistress - especially as my default Christmas present to "her" is a new set of wheels and tyres! (Sehr romantisch!)

I've only had this car just about 6 weeks and have now bought my second set of wheels and tyres in addition to the original ones. I ought to compare sheds with George! (Wouldn't be surprised if we've got the only TT running on all-terrains!) Latest are some smaller 16" ProRace 1.2 for winter use. They're 7" and ET38, so should look OK on the Fabia but the 205/45s won't provide much protection from kerbing. Have to be careful won't "she"! Maybe even go for some 205/50s next time if they'll fit in the spare wheel well. Wheels were a steal at £80 each even if they're silver, but I might have a go at dipping on the strength of this thread...

George - I'm slightly disturbed by your baby sitting episode, and just wonder if the child is now glue sniffing in some scheme! I might suggest to Angelina that she can dip her next baby if she's not happy...

• Like 3

That's some fairly posh alloys to have as your winters.  Treat them well, a lad at work has just mullered one of his lightweight OZ alloys on a pot hole and the thing has been warped quite badly making me think these lightweight wheels aren't as tough as their porkier OEM cousins.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not 100% sure if it is down to driver error and I have nicked the wheels Mr Pasty.

But I have two small marks on the outer rim of two wheels, I am suspecting it is probably my fault being over confident with my new tyre wall depth.  Only see the nicks if you get your nose right up to the wheel and it's also possible it has happened on a point where I have sprayed a tad thin.

Otherwise holding up just fine.

• Like 1

Just spray over the marks again. Plasti Dip will bond old and new paint as the fresh paint will solve the old.

Yup that's correct, new layers melt and fuse the old, I am not sure how this would affect the overall finish.

As it stands it's barely noticeable so unless it deteriorates then I will leave it.

Sunny - worst pieces of "rubber" i've ever had the misfortune of having fitted.  Wheelspin at 75mph in 4th (on an Autobahn, before anyone pipes up) is NOT a pleasant experience.  Only reason I've not put them on the back is I prefer to see where I'm going..