Dip it, dip it real good!..................(a DIY wheel refurb thread)

Sparkly

Ok, the metallic effect at one coat is subtle, had to get in close with the ipad and shine a light on to show it, so it looks a lot lighter.

Colour varies a lot depending on light, which I quite like

3f358e21c40ff55035a35ee3b1dba8eb_zps0729

Rubber gloves & camera.!!

Before you spray that metallic.  Or am i too late.

A Box or board and spray some Base Colour on ,,   then practice using doing the coating with the next stuff.

EDIT, Too late, but no probs, so good stuff.  Nice coating.

Can you go for the Grey and lacquer and no metallic coating in them? Or does that not appeal.

rubber gloves?! house to yourself?! step away from the...... never mind ;) looks good! I've run out of likes! lol (reading the memes thread!)

Lol, saw black and gold and assumed this was a Brimma post.

Might be the fumes

Rubber gloves & camera.!!

Before you spray that metallic. Or am i too late.

A Box or board and spray some Base Colour on ,, then practice using doing the coating with the next stuff.

You sir, I am afraid are too late, I went v light as a precaution and don't appear to have ruined it.........yet

Cardip uk really owe me some credit for all this free PR but I can't believe how forgiving this stuff is, maybe with no spray fumes in the cold light of day I will think different :)

• Like 1

Can you go for the Grey and lacquer and no metallic coating in them? Or does that not appeal.

Good question George, I went to Cardip UK as recommended by PastyBoy, this appealed greatly as a uk company unlike the main player in this spray which is Performix Plastidip, US.

Plastidip offer a Glossifier spray which is an option I considered.

I decided to go all in with Cardip and support UK industry :) so my final coat will be a pearlescent finishing spray, I expect to get shine and light reaction but with more matte finish than the Gloss.

Cardip are launching a gloss soon apparently however for all my flirtatious emails to them, they didnt get me a sample. :(

Edit: in case it sounds like I am getting any benefit or have any relationship with Cardip, I don't, in fact I would say there delivery via myhermes (mentioned elsewhere) is a bit pants, which is a put off.

No, honest. 10/10 Your a braver man than me

I'll seem less brave if I tell you how cheap the alloys were, and that this is a 100% reversible process as the dip done well can be peeled off like the sheet version.

Spraying wheels inside the house is another matter, if SWMBO gets wind of it, I am a deadman

.....flinches waiting for impending punch line :doh:

Needs better photography but......

Pearl coat brings the finish alive, metal fleck is even, overall, It could have ended so much worse

8B2E61A7-D47E-41AA-97D2-3B72CC0B75B4-297

A0332686-6451-4982-9B94-8E6F46FF94D8-297

Need to leave overnight to cure, peel off the tyres, liberate the loo roll from the bolt seats and take the tape from the valve.

Oh yeah, then see if I can repeat thrice more :rofl:

Snapshot review.

Prep, prep, prep them wheels

Easy to work with

Self flatting levelling is a real boon for no nothing amateurs like yours truly, suspect much more forgiving than paint.

Get some pointers beforehand, they are all worthwhile

Pearl coat is more impactful than metal coat, together v nice but beware, does lighten up the colour of wheel under light, I might have liked to start with black even rather than Gunmetal for the finish I wanted.

Reserving all other judgement for tomorrow with daylight and a clear head.

• Like 1

Looks alright to be fair. I plasti dipped my spiders while they where still on the car lol they will do me till I have enough cash for a proper refurb.

I have to say they look pretty good.  I guess daytime shots will tell the true story though.

"Looks alright" "pretty good"

I'm crushed, I had a "stunning" earlier

Personally I'm pretty happy