Thoughts on my new 2.0 diesel DSG Elegance estate

I've only been driving it for 1350 miles but here is some feedback.

1. Its much bigger than my 2010 FL estate. Actually, it seems like a really big car - more of a Superb size. Quite a lot more room in the back but no difference in terms of boot space I think.

2. I initially thought that the seats were less comfortable; now, having fine-tuned the adjustment, I think they're better especially with the alcantara.

3. There's less road noise. Its a quieter car. I was worried that a diesel could never be as refined as my last petrol 1.4Tsi which was astonishingly refined but -

4. Stop-start means that you get the same effect as the petrol engine at idle (when it seemed to be switched off). Odd sensation but I like it - I feel I'm not chucking out unnecessary fumes at the lights or in traffic and its very peaceful.

5. Handling. Seems fine and much the same as before but I don't drive with my ar5e on fire these days. the suspension settings seem comfortable, that's all I care. If I'd wanted a handler I'd have bought a Ford.

6. Winter pack - too early to say really but the heated bottoms are particularly toasty on max.

7. Columbus SatNav - haven't fully sussed it. Its got so much info and so many settings available that I think it'll take a while to get used to. I'm learning to talk to it but you need to recall the phrases to use (and I keep forgetting them). It has failed me already in terms of getting me to the relevant postcode but I'm prepared to overlook the mistakes because they may not be. They could be duff info in duff info out. We'll see. It certainly looks good though and I love the colour maxidot.

8. Bluetooth - excellent. First class. Faultless. Goodbye sun visor apparatus and good riddance.

9. Columbus and Canton - very good really but I wonder whether I needed the Canton upgrade since most of my listening is of books on CD (transferred to SD card). Difficult to know when you can't do a back to back test with a car that doesn't have it. It wasn't expensive though so I'm glad I got it. DAB first rate.

10. Topaz Brown. Hmmm. I hadn't seen one when I ordered it and I still think it was a brave choice. Do I like it? I don't mind it and I prefer it to most of the other Skoda colours which I find dull. It shows the dirt a bit too much.

11. DSG - its a wet clutch 6-speed of course and I have the three-spoke MFSW with paddles. It definitely seems to have some slip in it like a conventional torque converter. Is this a reaction to all the unfavourable comments about taking off at roundabouts? I've long since adjusted my driving (this is my 3rd DSG in 7 years) so I haven't really tested this effect. But its still very refined. The paddles, however, seem to have a mind of their own: in the 1.4, I always changed up to 7th when at the top of a hill so the engine wouldn't be straining but the time the car got to the bottom (brakes are cheaper). I can't replicate this with the latest box. Oddly, it won't allow me to have whatever gear I want. This makes me slightly cross but I expect I've missed something.

12. Maxi-dot readouts. I wish I could have more than one in a box, maybe smaller digits. I'd like to be able to get the satnav AND fuel consumption.

13. I miss: the RH footrest, the tray for the brolly, the lack of oddment space including no dashboard lidded tray, smaller door pockets, no side cupboards in the boot. But I think I'll get over all of them.

14. The standard lights on the 1.4 were stupendous. The new (standard) ones are only alright. I have some H7s from the Mk 2 which I may try in due course.

15. Cleaning (yes sadly I have already several times) - it just takes longer, especially those spokey wheels. Bashes your fingers trying to get into the corners.

16. And that's about it folks!

dill

• Like 3

Completely agree with number 12. I usually don't need Nav as I'm going places I know the route. However, this evening I drove up from Hanpshire back home and really missed having the consumption figures when the Nav was on.

1. Its much bigger than my 2010 FL estate. Actually, it seems like a really big car - more of a Superb size. Quite a lot more room in the back but no difference in terms of boot space I think.

That reminds me - my father in law was over a couple of weeks ago and saw mine for the first time.  He has had Mk1, Mk2 and 2FL and I thought we told him in July that I was about to get a Mk3.  He spent a fair bit of time in the passenger seat beside me and at the end of the week, let slip that he thought it must be a Superb, it felt so spacious inside!

I agree with the comment on the RH footrest - just penny pinching, if you have cruise you should get a RH footrest!

As for the DSG and paddles, it wont let you select a gear that will under or over rev the engine. You can click down twice and may only drop it one gear until you slow down enough, then it will drop it another. Quite clever I thought.

I have noticed though that he DSG box has started changing down and engine braking for me. I am pretty sure it wasn't doing this at first until I started using the paddles to drop a gear. It seems to have cottoned on to this and started dropping down a gear if I am braking going downhill. Cool!

Completely agree with number 12. I usually don't need Nav as I'm going places I know the route. However, this evening I drove up from Hanpshire back home and really missed having the consumption figures when the Nav was on.

Bring up the split screen on the Columbus with the nav instructions in there, and switch the maxidot to fuel consumption

OR

leave the nav instructions on maxidot and switch to car mode on the Columbus to see your consumption

I agree with the comment on the RH footrest - just penny pinching, if you have cruise you should get a RH footrest!

As for the DSG and paddles, it wont let you select a gear that will under or over rev the engine. You can click down twice and may only drop it one gear until you slow down enough, then it will drop it another. Quite clever I thought.

I have noticed though that he DSG box has started changing down and engine braking for me. I am pretty sure it wasn't doing this at first until I started using the paddles to drop a gear. It seems to have cottoned on to this and started dropping down a gear if I am braking going downhill. Cool!

I know that it does it, my last one did engine braking down the notorious 1:4 Countisbury & Porlock hills and I only had to do light braking to assist, it's very good like that.

Yep, I didn't notice it at first though.

It seems to be adapting to my driving style and revving slightly higher in 4th and 5th than it was previously as well.

In fact, I've found the paddles surplus to requirements now, the DSG box is that good you just let it get on with it.

Yep, I didn't notice it at first though.

It seems to be adapting to my driving style and revving slightly higher in 4th and 5th than it was previously as well.

In fact, I've found the paddles surplus to requirements now, the DSG box is that good you just let it get on with it.

Like all auto gearboxes the DSG only reacts to what is happening NOW, not to what WILL BE happening.  So I use the paddles to change down BEFORE I overtake and before the occasional bend.  The only time I use the 'Sport' selector position is to force a lower gear when travelling down steep hills.  With the diesel the 'Sport' selection holds the gears to too high revs and over the useful power range.

I thought of something else last night: the automatic headlight dipping.

I'm afraid I think it's dim-witted and just annoying. I cannot imagine where it will be useful. It dips when you turn left or right but then full beam doesn't come back until you do it yourself. And, frankly, how hard is it to dip the lights?!

Weird program.

Dill

Odd, my light assist works perfectly well.

It won't reactivate main beam if the camera can see headlights coming the other way, tail lights in front of you, or if the system thinks it isn't dark enough for main beam or there are street lights.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Have you noticed the way that the Green LIghts which illuminate the head lighting dial on the right side get reflected in your side mirror? Very niggly but annoying, I've put tape over the lights!

Have you noticed the way that the Green LIghts which illuminate the head lighting dial on the right side get reflected in your side mirror? Very niggly but annoying, I've put tape over the lights!

Mine don't, but that's an entirely different story.

Thanks for sharing thoughts folks. Expecting delivery of my 2.0l diesel estate elegance in racing blue mid December and can't wait. Good to hear there isn't anything major to worry about. Was starting to fret about handing over my much loved Superb se after reading a few other posts. This will be my 5th Skoda so hope the experience will be just as good as the previous 4.

11. DSG -  The paddles, however, seem to have a mind of their own: in the 1.4, I always changed up to 7th when at the top of a hill so the engine wouldn't be straining but the time the car got to the bottom (brakes are cheaper). I can't replicate this with the latest box. Oddly, it won't allow me to have whatever gear I want. This makes me slightly cross but I expect I've missed something.

You need to be in 'S' - That's the only way you get nearasdammit full control.  But then you are stuck with using the +/- or paddles

In 'D' the gearbox will change gears even after you've changed gear (using the paddles) if it thinks you're in the 'wrong' gear.  This is especially prevalent in Sport mode.  You change gear (to say 6th), engine is doing 1500 rpm (no problem there), flat road, after 6-8 seconds the car changes back to 5th so it's doing 2000rpm.   Really annoying and another reason I constantly harp on about the diesel DSG gearbox being badly programmed.

You need to be in 'S' - That's the only way you get nearasdammit full control. But then you are stuck with using the +/- or paddles

In 'D' the gearbox will change gears even after you've changed gear (using the paddles) if it thinks you're in the 'wrong' gear. This is especially prevalent in Sport mode. You change gear (to say 6th), engine is doing 1500 rpm (no problem there), flat road, after 6-8 seconds the car changes back to 5th so it's doing 2000rpm. Really annoying and another reason I constantly harp on about the diesel DSG gearbox being badly programmed.

What happens if you put the gearbox in proper manual mode by moving the selector to the side?

The behaviour described above is exactly as the manual reads, if you are in D or S and use the paddles you are only temporarily going into manual mode. If you don't use the paddles again within a certain amount of time it reverts back to D or S auto mode.

The only way you are fully in control is by going in to manual mode. The gearbox will only change when you hit the red line, or if the revs drop close to idle, in both cases to prevent damage.

Re the paddles and DSG. With the little petrol engine, the box didn't mind in the least if I "paddled" it into 7th at the top of the hill whilst still in full auto mode. Why would it? There's no labouring issue going downhill. The new diesel/6 speed won't allow you to do this which seems odd to me. I'm not asking for engine braking. I can do that with my left foot and as I said in the OP, brakes are cheaper.

Incidentally, am I the only person who prefers the position of the handbrake? In the previous Octies, you had to be careful not to disturb the centre armrest. If it was forward, you couldn't get your whole mitt onto the handle. Silly. Much prefer the new one. I suggest Skoda have sorted this issue.

Pip pip

Dill

The DSG learns how you drive over a period and changes its behaviour. I sat in a vRS at Goodwood and the handbrake and bonnet release would just annoy me. The plastics seem to have been downgraded too, compared to my FL.