Towing mirrors

g7eor

Best mirrors are the suction type, because the Yeti's mirrors are a very odd shape, and the "normal" towing mirrors are not a good fit....I know because I have tried them all. Also, you can still (electrically) adjust the mirrors when the towing mirrors are in situ (not possible with other sort).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyramid-Suck-It-Caravan-Mirror-Flat/dp/B000W4BFJ4

• Like 1

Agree with what Truthseeker recommends. Been tested at French motorway speeds and totally stable, but you do need to ensure the mirror is clean before you fit them.

I've got a pair of the "rubber band" ones that slipped off, and one of the "clamp on" type that wouldn't accomodate the curvature of the top of the mirror.

• Like 1

I can't remember what mine are, but they were recommended by some of the caravaners on her and they clamp on!!!!!

Without any problems, but they were about £50.

PS My father has them at his place as he uses them on his disco most of the time.

^ +1 :yes:

Although I can understand possible objections to the clamp system, I'm very reluctant to having things stuck on the main mirrors.  When towing, I want all the mirror surface I can get. 

Note that I've 'underslung' the mirrors here, so the clamps are on a straighter part of the mirror housing.  There wasn't any noticeable difference. 

post-86998-0-43222800-1384038500_thumb.jpg

My original concern with top fitting was that nominally flat clamp faces are being screwed hard down on to curved lips.  (There wasn't this problem with my X-Trail because of those lovely huge square mirrors!)  The bottom lip of the VAG mirror is almost straight, so my thinking was - 'no distortion'.  In practice, the mirror housing is tougher than it looks and you can get quite a bit of pressure on the pad. 

I fact, I do wonder if the slight bit of 'triangulation' brought about by clamping round a curved upper lip does actually add a bit of damping to the (slight) vibration. 

• Like 1

I use the same milenco ones fastened to the bottom. Only just enough room to get the clamps in between the glass and the outer plastic rim. I prefer the convex to the flat type of glass.

Think to tiguan uses the same mirrors from the VAG parts bin.

post-106681-0-64544100-1384108482_thumb.jpg

The Aeros fix easily onto the top of the mirror cowlings after a bit of initial fiddling ... they now fit in place in seconds.

Mine have been fitted/removed 60+ times with no damage.

Iain,

The one I have is an early version, and they only way I would be able to get it to fit would be by bending the mounting bar. The "clips" will not twist enough to allow for the curvature. I shall try it on the bottom of the mirror next time.

Anyone want a pair of the rubber band type?

Like several others, I was concerned there was not enough clearance to fit Milenco Aeros to my Yeti and therefore opted for the 'Suck It and See'  variety. However, having used these only once towing from Suffolk to the New Forest area I decided these restricted vision from the normal mirrors too much. Also the nearside mirror seemed to be much too convex for my liking.

I therefore tried a set of Aeros from a local accessory shop and found these to be satisfactory, although the fixing clearance is quite small.  I opted for the flat variety for both sides, having previously used convex for the nearside and am very pleased with them.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Trevor M

I've followed this thread-as I have many caravans over the years and my experience is that many may fit them, fewer use them and fewer still take the elementary step of pulling over when a great queue is tailing back behind them. My poor experiences arise from 30 plus years travelling between north london and north norfolk at weekends. I don't doubt that people on here don't wilfully obstruct single carriageway "A" roads and eithe make good progress or give way to quicker traffic.

Many thanks for all the replies to my query I have now been donated a pair of Milenco mirror by an old caravanner I will try them out soon

They might take a bit of fiddling to get right but once sorted out they are easy to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for only finding this thread now and bringing it to the fore in the WINTER!   :giggle:

I went with what Graham recommended and that was the "Suck it and see" sucker variety. They are very sturdy and have not fallen off at speed - even French speeds ( :angel:). BUT as stated they do take away a lot of the glass on the existing mirrors.  Mine are both convex - I have three to be truthful, as I got one of each and found the flat one on the driver's side useless - too small to be of use - and hence got a third convex one and used the two convex ones going up and down to Durham last weekend.

In time I might invest and upgrade to these Milenco ones.  I will also fit them underslung as that just looks better to my eyes.

5824_10151605069816324_1008899583_n.jpg

Johann - Interesting that your 'van tows nose-high.  My Elddis runs near-as-dammit level (post #9 above).  I wonder what the difference in hitch height is (mine's a standard Westfalia)? 

Also perhaps re-read my comments about top- and underslung mirror mounting - just as a reminder? ....

Johann - Interesting that your 'van tows nose-high.  My Elddis runs near-as-dammit level (post #9 above).  I wonder what the difference in hitch height is (mine's a standard Westfalia)? 

Also perhaps re-read my comments about top- and underslung mirror mounting - just as a reminder? ....

I have the dead standard Westfalia detachable too...  Iain also mentioned before that mine is very much nose up. And boy do I know - there is one speed bump from my house out to the A12 with a big pedestrian crossing and I have to do it VERY slowly since the rear corner steadies JUST touch the tarmac as I go over.

Hmmm...  so if you are using the same factory towbar as I, it can only be my caravan that has the A-frame a bit too low?

.... my caravan that has the A-frame a bit too low?

The Elddis is also towed by a Volvo, also virtually level, so supporting the query about your 'van.  Strange.  You did say what it is, I think?  Sorry, I've forgotten, but it wasn't anything unusual, was it?!

The Elddis is also towed by a Volvo, also virtually level, so supporting the query about your 'van.  Strange.  You did say what it is, I think?  Sorry, I've forgotten, but it wasn't anything unusual, was it?!

No nothing unusual. It's standard Lunar Premier 516L (with dealer modifications and a slightly different model name by Davan Caravans).