Citigo: cambelt/timing chain

miskermark

I'm thinking of buying a Citigo Greentech 75bhp and wonder whether anyone here can advise whether it has a cambelt or a timing chain, and what the replacement interval and cost might be. I know with some cars having a timing chain it has to be replaced at 50-60k miles, sometimes an engine-out job, and even then there's a chance it could shatter early and destroy much of the engine. Just wondering what the situation is with the Citigo.

..and even then there's a chance it could shatter early and destroy much of the engine.

It's the same with a belt. If the belt snaps, the entire engine goes out of sync and could possible destroy itself.

In general i would say that chains are more reliable than belts. Usually the chains are designed to last the entire lifespan of the engine. They should be inspected at regular intervalls (can be done with engine in car), but unless the inspection finds any problems it does not need to be changes.

Also, chains have a tendency to stretch prior to failure - giving a forewarning of failure. Belts usually just snaps, without warning.

Belts are the common solution for most cars these days, but that more due to cost-saving, noise, emmisions etc. For the most part you'll find chains in performance engine. As an example, most high revs  racing motorcycles use cam-chains. Keep in mind that belts are designed to  last a lot longer than the specified service interval - but when the consequence is engine failure, why risk it?

Edited by loadinglevelone

I was told by my dealer that the belt interval is 100,000 miles.

I have not bothered to confirm this as it is a few years away yet!

Or a fixed period of time whichever comes first!

Think it is 4 years not 100%.

You cannot sit there doing 5k miles a year thinking the cambelt is not due until 100k which at that annual mileage would be 20 years :)

Belts perish/degrade over time or wear out due to use!

• Like 1

This is the reply I Got from Skoda UK in regards to both the cam and water pump belts change period

'I am happy to confirm that the information I previously provided is correct, and to confirm, the cambelt replacement intervals
for your vehicle are 160,000 miles'

'Having your cambelt replaced every 4 years is a UK recommendation on most Skoda vehicles, but Skoda UK's Technical Department maintain that every 160,000 miles is the interval for a cambelt replacement on your Citigo based on the engine type and size'

This is the reply I Got from Skoda UK in regards to both the cam and water pump belts change period

'I am happy to confirm that the information I previously provided is correct, and to confirm, the cambelt replacement intervals

for your vehicle are 160,000 miles'

'Having your cambelt replaced every 4 years is a UK recommendation on most Skoda vehicles, but Skoda UK's Technical Department maintain that every 160,000 miles is the interval for a cambelt replacement on your Citigo based on the engine type and size'

Sounds like they don't recommenend It to be done at all!

my fiat grande punto was 90,000 mile changes, I changed it at 90k and it looked like new, I reccon it could have easy done 180k....

remember things (tech) build quality ect moves on..... I reccon 160k is doable! :)

my vRS is a chain .....

Edited by sharkrider

my fiat grande punto was 90,000 mile changes, I changed it at 90k and it looked like new, I reccon it could have easy done 180k....

remember things (tech) build quality ect moves on..... I reccon 160k is doable! :)

my vRS is a chain .....

Not sure a vRS engine would survive long enough to get to a cambelt change anyway  :giggle:

• Like 1

"Sharkrider" most belts that get changed "look" OK but I have seen a fair few that have snapped etc which looked fine too.

It is the break down of the structure that you cannot see or if there is a water pump or a pulley in the drive train they quite often seize causing the belt to jump/shred itsself.

IMHO Anyone that keeps a car for a reasonable period of time or intends to do so, should change the cambelt/water pump/pulleys (as required) on a time basis if your mileage is less than the manufactures specified belt change and I would not go over 6 years personally.

I have a 52 plate fiesta (2003) and it has 48k miles on the clock from new. That has had a cambelt change already back in 2008/9 and is due again soon, for my peace of mind :)

• Like 1