VW 1.7 million recall 7 speed DSG

kibby

There is an interesting Thread just started on the Fabia mk2 Forum.

"Simple Questions,DQ200 DSG 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch, UK "SERVICE CAMPAIGN" ( SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECALL)

Some good Customer feedback on the effectiveness and Quality of Communications to owner via Skoda UK and Dealerships. 

Edited by vrskeith

Just had a letter from Skoda UK concerning my 11 plate Octavia DSG 7-speed

"As part of regular product monitoring .... the synthetic oil used can lead to an internal short circuit and the blowing of the fuse for the gearbox. The failure causes the clutches to open and the vehicle freewheels. ... In order to prevent a possible breakdown, we would like to offer you a precautionary check .... If necessary, your gearbox oil will be changed to mineral oil ... free of charge"

I'm a bit miffed as a) the service manager told me nothing needed to be done when I asked the specific question when the car was serviced in March. and b ) I apparently have to have a 'precautionary check' before I know if an oil change is required.

Edited by mercian

Does this mean that Skoda have not got total traceability?????

That is a real concern if they don't know or are not sure!

That's why I posted the relevant parts of the letter. Haven't arranged anything with the garage yet so I'd be interested to know if others have had same or different wording, or if anyone's gone in and had nothing done as a result of an inspection.

• Like 1

Hi. What I think they are thinking of are

a ) Your car is among those who need an oil change, that's why you received the mail.

b ) They will probably check for wear and tear to see what condition the gearbox is in.

I just think that they have got the wording a bit wrong...

Sent via Tapatalk ...

mercian.  

Just ask the Dealership you are dealing with to show you the 'Technical Instructions' they received from Skoda on the 'Field Action'

required for the 'Service Campaign' on the DQ200 7 Speed Twiin Dry Clutch Gearbox',  

if that is what you car has.

** Maybe ask them to send a Email giving the Full Details.

or get that from Skoda UK Customer Services, to be sure that everything being done or possibly done to your car is clearly set out. **

It is your car/property, & do not let them loose before they show you in writing what is required.

& do not sign anything until you are told what Warranty is now on the DSG & the work being done.

THE REMEDIAL OR PREVENTATIVE WORK BEING DONE IS PAID FOR AND BEING DONE ON BEHALF OF SKODA,

THE DEALERSHIP IS THEIR AGENT, YET WHEN THERE ARE PROBLEMS SKODA UK TEND TO PUT YOU BACK TO THE WORKSHOP THAT MESSED UP OR JUST DID WHAT THEY WERE INSTRUCTED TO DO.  

THAT IS JUST NONSENSE IN A CASE LIKE THIS WHERE THE VWG ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR 
DESIGN OR MANUFACTURING FAULTS WHICH NEED AN ACTION TAKING.

This is what the Service Campaign consisted of in New Zealand announced 12 months ago.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Rather more Work Done on all cars in New Zealand than Skoda are doing in the UK,

& the Owners were clearly told what was being done.

Skoda UK are for some reason doing a 'Silent Service Campaign'.  

a sort of 'Need to know', and Chinese Whispers Campaign.

No Resemblance to a Campaign in China, USA etc  though,

which was a full 'Recall', & DSG Warranties extended to 100,000 miles.

The Difference being the EU/UK Government Agencies that let the Volkswagen Group do as they wish,

and stuff the Paying Public.

Only treated as being 'Safety Critical'  where the Legal & Corporate Responsibility Laws might have VWG Executives landing up in jail.

• Like 1

Hi. What I think they are thinking of are

a ) Your car is among those who need an oil change, that's why you received the mail.

b ) They will probably check for wear and tear to see what condition the gearbox is in.

I just think that they have got the wording a bit wrong...

Sent via Tapatalk ...

That's another very poor communication then or is it lost in translation.

Whatever, they need to greatly improve the detail and accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Re. my Yeti 1.2 7 speed DSG (April 2011).... Received letter from Skoda today requesting the local dealer check the oil.  If it's found to be synthetic they'll change it to mineral.

They will collect the car from home and return it.  Can't complain unduly...they think there might be a problem and they going to check and sort it if need be.

However I admit to being a touch wary of the box, hence taking out extended warranty which, hopefully, would cover unpleasant occurrences.

• Like 1

Re. my Yeti 1.2 7 speed DSG (April 2011).... Received letter from Skoda today requesting the local dealer check the oil.  If it's found to be synthetic they'll change it to mineral.

They will collect the car from home and return it.  Can't complain unduly...they think there might be a problem and they going to check and sort it if need be.

However I admit to being a touch wary of the box, hence taking out extended warranty which, hopefully, would cover unpleasant occurrences.

Shame that you have had to wait this long.

The service campaign, (Not a recall in VAG /Skoda thoughts) was raised back in early May.

There are other threads on the site relating to the oil change and any ECU updates required,mainly Fabia vRS owners.

Edited by vrskeith

Now you mention it I'm fairly sure I phoned my dealer after reading about this, it seems ages ago, I suppose it could have been around May. 

I wasn't asked to bring the car in and must have assumed I wasn't one of those affected.

But as it was more than a week ago it will have gone from my, extremely limited, powers of retention.  Shame really as it can only get worse :-(

• Like 1

Now you mention it I'm fairly sure I phoned my dealer after reading about this, it seems ages ago, I suppose it could have been around May. 

I wasn't asked to bring the car in and must have assumed I wasn't one of those affected.

But as it was more than a week ago it will have gone from my, extremely limited, powers of retention.  Shame really as it can only get worse :-(

There was also the vin No. check by dealer or the Skoda site found by some member on here. However , don't think it was conclusive as it was not a recall.

But the dealer should be able to use traceability relating to VIN  and oil used when assembled .

• 4 months later...

Recall or not recall, that is the question... Skoda branded Warranty refusing to pay out because it is a design fault / recall. Skoda themselves only offering to pay for parts, expecting me to pay £540 for labour. I've posted in an thread about extended warranty http://www.briskoda....ase/?p=4145624 

• 4 months later...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/transmissions-and-drivetrains/dsg

So my partner , a well experienced driver of DSG7 in Fabia vRS X2,her 1st real Brown Trouser / Knicker moments in the last 3 weeks.

She does 15000 miles a year in her cars with a varied commute which total uses the DSG to the full every day.

Her first car had the very odd hiccup with the DSG - WHICH imparts the element of uncertainty in the brain. However this car (CAVE) had the engine replaced at 43000.

Current car CTHE July 2013 - didn't require the Service Campaign ,as "Correct Oil " at build. Currently at approx. 26000 miles

So Tuesday MORNING we have the DSG issues arising FOR A 3RD TIME in 3 weeks - the most concerning of which TODAY, is travelling at 60 mph in a busy main A roads, which has 32 ton trucks up your ass regularly, the car decides to go into coasting mode,out of the blue, with D7 SPANNER ALARMS ,THEN AS SLOWING DOWN D3.

Last week we were away on holiday ,so left the car at the dealers for then to investigate the previous issues.

On return home last Monday the dealer had returned the car ,with a note saying ,Master Tech couldn't re-enact the fault described (Intermittent)(but might be a Mechatonic issue may need replacing)

So as aforementioned the week began as described.

I'm sorry VW,SKODA etc. has the BROWN TROUSER MOMENTS of the Unit ever been fully resolved and I would suggest it is a SAFTY ISSUE - RECALL not a low key Service Campaign.

I wonder how many Owners have TRULY had the brown trouser moment - near miss or whatever with this DSG7 BOX.

WHAT ACTUAL SKODA - VAG history record exists, with associated corrective actions/fault correction to resolve SUCH DANGEROUS MALFUNCTIONS.

Dealers comments, well we haven't experienced many with problems.

Mechatronic UNIT now ordered on Tuesday - prior to today's event, but dealer never suggested having the vehicle in and replacing with a SAFE LOANER until fixed.

Edited by vrskeith

So New Mechatronic Unit has arrived at the Service Dealership, for installation by the Master Tech in the coming week.The dealer issuing a loan car under warranty.

That being said ,the multi event "Brown Trouser Moments" over 3  consecutive days, plus 2 in the previous week, has some what bashed her confidence in the DSG.

• 2 weeks later...

Mechatronic now replaced (2 days), Partner tells me the car is now running well but she is now away for a few days, so I won't get a chance to see the paperwork or get a drive until Tuesday.

Need to enquire about actual warranty applying on the new unit, as she forgot to ask when picking the car up.

Any idea what should apply.

Edited by vrskeith

Mechatronic now replaced (2 days), Partner tells me the car is now running well but she is now away for a few days, so I won't get a chance to see the paperwork or get a drive until Tuesday.

Need to enquire about actual warranty applying on the new unit, as she forgot to ask when picking the car up.

Any idea what should apply.

Just had the mechatronic unit replaced on my Octavia (59 plate 1.4 TSi).

Drove 230 miles in it without a problem, then on a 1/4 mile trip to the local shop went faulty, fortunately not while driving, just refused to go into gear when trying to leave the shop.

Car was 'recovered' to the dealer, 10 days later we got it back. unfortunately I was at work so my wife decided to go for a trip out to collect it. She was told there was no paperwork for us, it was kept on computer by the dealer, but she also forgot to ask about warranty on the new part. Being an older car it only had 12 month warranty so I'm expecting them to tell me it's only covered til the end of the 12 months from when we bought the car, but surely it should have it's own stand alone warranty of 12 months from the repair date.

Will have to phone them to check, but not been too impressed by the after sales customer service from Simpsons Skoda in Preston so who knows what they'll tell me.

• Like 1

Just had the mechatronic unit replaced on my Octavia (59 plate 1.4 TSi).

Drove 230 miles in it without a problem, then on a 1/4 mile trip to the local shop went faulty, fortunately not while driving, just refused to go into gear when trying to leave the shop.

Car was 'recovered' to the dealer, 10 days later we got it back. unfortunately I was at work so my wife decided to go for a trip out to collect it. She was told there was no paperwork for us, it was kept on computer by the dealer, but she also forgot to ask about warranty on the new part. Being an older car it only had 12 month warranty so I'm expecting them to tell me it's only covered til the end of the 12 months from when we bought the car, but surely it should have it's own stand alone warranty of 12 months from the repair date.

Will have to phone them to check, but not been too impressed by the after sales customer service from Simpsons Skoda in Preston so who knows what they'll tell me.

Let me know how you get on and I'll keep you up to speed with our situation. Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Found this on VW site 

Replacement parts warranty

All Volkswagen Original replacement parts carry a parts warranty for a period of 2 years/unlimited mileage, from the date of purchase. Items with warranties in excess of 2 years will be advised to you at the time of purchase. The 2 year parts warranty does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty, which are warranted for the remaining period of the vehicle warranty.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/plans-and-policies/factory/terms-and-conditions

• Like 2

Cheers for that DadWagon, had a quick read and it also says this a bit earlier on

'Any part which is replaced becomes the property of Volkswagen. Any replaced parts are covered for the unexpired period of the vehicle warranty'

So basically if the car is out of warranty and you pay for the repair yourself you get a 2 year warranty on the part, if it's done under warranty you only get the remainder of the warranty.

Seems a bit unfair, if they are confident enough to warranty the part for 2 years when the customer is paying for repairs, why do they penalise you because your car is still under warranty.

I shall be phoning the dealer tomorrow (if I remember) to ask them about it.

• Like 1

I guess Sale of Goods Act and merchantable quality still apply...and you'd reasonably expect a part to last longer than 2 years anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

All  well understood on the VW Warranty and replacement parts,  & Replacement parts purchased. .

But with the DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch Gearbox,  the Volkswagen Group had to do a World Wide Recall which only covered some World Regions & not Europe.

& some World Regions had a proper Service Campaign / Recall where Registered Keeper were contacted & some had an Extended Warranty Period awarded.  Where the threat to the VWG financially and legally was serious enough.

In New Zealand a proper Service Campaign was carried out.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

In the UK Skoda got around to a 'Service Campaign'  from May 2014.

Changing Synthetic Oil for Mineral, doing a Software Update and applying a Sticker to the Boot.

But it is a Game Changer for the Volkswagen Group who know there are Design, Manufacturing, or Component Quality Control 

Issues with a number of DQ200 DSG from 2009 to 2014.

So Warranty Expiring with the Original Manufacturers Warranty is something that they might need to revisit.

It is a shame the Motoring Media are just part of the 3 Monkeys as usual.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.  Shhsss

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-audi-skoda-dsg-recalled-australia-and-new-zealand

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/vw-uk-no-dsg-recall-required

Extended Warranties & Used Car Warranties will have the Warranty Underwriter paying for Parts Purchased.

So where an Extended Warranty Provider or a Private Customer Pays for the Parts,

then those parts should have the 2 Year Warranty covering them.

That means the 'Original Manufacturers Warranty Terms & Conditions' as far as only covered for the length of the original warranty is not relevant.

• 1 month later...