First time new car buyer - what to do on collection...

Hi guys,

My Monte Carlo tech is due for delivery this week, and I was wondering what sort of things I should be looking/asking for when collecting my car?

Also, does anybody have any recommendations for what VCDS codes to get them to install?

At the minute I'm thinking -

Polo gti steering weight

Coming home lights

Needle sweep

Anti hijack

Many thanks!

Check the mileage, anything over 20 and it is a used car rather than a new one.

Check every inch of the body, wheels and interior.

Check for spare wheel or sealing kit and wheel nut key if relevant.

Check all the paperwork.

Check for rust on brake discs.

Make sure every option you ordered is present.

Ensure service book, pre-delivery inspection report, owner's manual and any other documents are present and filled in/stamped correctly.

Make sure you've got both keys and that they work.

Enjoy it, new cars are one of life's pleasures.

Pies.

Also ask them if they have PDI 'd the car properly.

Have they checked the headlamp alignment? (some on here have reported bad alignment issues)

Have they checked the Wheel alignment.  (again many issues here)

Also before you take it home.....Check that it does not PULL to the left.

If it has Dunlop tyres fitted Reject the car.

Ps...

Don't say I didn't tell you.

Good luck with your new toy.

Drive safe and Enjoy.

pps. Fit as soon as pos Dash cam corder.

A PDI is what it is,

it does not include Light Alignment or Wheel Alignment.

If you did not want Dunlop Tyres that is something you would have needed to state when ordering,

but tyre brand/type is not an option.

(some dealers might swap new tyres/wheels from one car to another, to get the customer the tyres they want,

but thats not usual practice.)

If the car did not drive correctly at hand over obviously you could say you are not accepting it,

you could also ask them to check the Headlights for the setting, which is a simple thing for them to do,

15 minutes max.

Pies.

Also ask them if they have PDI 'd the car properly.

Have they checked the headlamp alignment? (some on here have reported bad alignment issues)

Have they checked the Wheel alignment.  (again many issues here)

Also before you take it home.....Check that it does not PULL to the left.

If it has Dunlop tyres fitted Reject the car.

Ps...

Don't say I didn't tell you.

Good luck with your new toy.

Drive safe and Enjoy.

pps. Fit as soon as pos Dash cam corder.

Reject the car if it has dunlops? Good luck with that one lol.

Whilst your at it make sure they have lovingly washed the bodywork with unicorn tears tho.....!

• Like 1

Yes.  Some cars with Dunlops have been wrongly set up at the Factory, also some cars fitted with Continentals.

Somehow Skoda have now given permission to change tyres to Pirellis on problem cars,

somehow there seems to be nothing said as to why and what is wrong with the Dunlops or the Continentals.

Odd that a huge tyre company can be having products put down as the cause of problems by a huge car manufacturer.

• Like 1

Have you driven one yet and thought it had too much Assistance on the Steering.?

It just reduces the Assistance and is not to every ones liking.

george

I personally think it assists a little too much, and would prefer a bit more feel :) I work in developing steering columns, so im a bit picky when it comes to steering weight/feel hehe

"If it has Dunlop tyres fitted Reject the car."

Ok maybe a little over the top?? Perhaps suggest to your Skoda dealer, would they please change the tyres to another make.

Owing to the problems others have had here, it might not be a bad idea..

But still keep in mind others and there are a lot of others who have had this problem, and certainly wish they had not experienced it.

Just ask 

Vicky

Woody

Plumber

Rachel

Aussie

Myself.

etc. etc.

So as Pies asked..."Monte Carlo tech is due for delivery this week, and I was wondering what sort of things I should be looking/asking for when collecting my car?"

It will be for him to take this on board, as after all he did ask. And like others have said there little piece about their findings.

Just check what the PDI is meant to check and then check it again - my Octavia had been PDI'd and the stereo didn't work on collection.  I had to drive around for a few weeks, thanks to collecting from a non-local dealer and needing to book into the local one.

I think (but haven't followed too closely) the tyre issue is where they may have fitted asymetric Dunlops the wrong way round. (interestingly though for those it has affected, but slightly off topic, my Dad's previous Fabia Mk2 had issues with this and they said nothing they can do - it has fixed rear tracking and that was out - I only found that out this weekend.)

All the other points above are valid - I'm not sure about the 20 miles business - delivery mileage should be "reasonable", rather than a fixed figure making it a "used" car.

No idea on the VCDS stuff - I wish I'd have known when I collected mine!

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Regarding the 'pulling to the left' I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens, if I notice it pulling I will be going back and telling them to sort it out. Hopefully it will be trouble free though.

The biggest problem I have at the minute is trying to sell my current car...

Well.. Skoda rang me today letting me know that my car has been delivered. They succesfully programmed the steering weight, and the anti-hijack, but were unable to program needle sweep and coming home lights as these are on the Octavias only apparently.

They also adjusted the headlights for me :) 

Regarding new car mileage at collection, I understood that the car mileage was reset/initialised (once only) at the supplying garage after all the delivery messing about.

The mileage you get at collection is probably PDI drive/check, or other random use.

Would anyone who really knows care to confirm or deny this?

I can confirm that a car that has been delivered by road should show the true mileage covered.

Be that 30 miles or hundred of miles.

If they want to Zero, the Factory, Transporter, Ferry, Transporter, Dealership Pound,

then fine. Not a problem with Transportation Mileage Pre PDI..

But if a Dealer gets it dropped off at a depot or Dealership,

and drives it 45 miles to the Dealer where it is being collected,

i want to see the 45 miles or more.

It will be a new car to me if i am the first Registered and it is only Delivery Mileage. Be that long or Short mileage.