Dump valve question

Right just need a bit of info on this the guy I got the car from says that the dv on the car is a forge one but I have been looking at forge 007 and 008 and they don't look like the one that's on it and I have been told that my car should really have 007 or 008 but wat I want to know is will the DV that's on my car damage the engine in anyway and if I do buy a forge one is it jut a matter of taking the old DV off and replacing it with a 007 or is there more To it than that? I have attached a pic of it so you can see for urselfs post-110147-0-17863800-1385228695_thumb.jpg

That looks like an atmospheric dv, similar to baileys. General concensus is that the 1.8t doesn't like any atmospheric dv so would better be removed. Standard recirc valve is fine but if you want to upgrade then the forge items you mentioned are very popular. I have a turbosmart dv on mine.

Nothing wrong with the OEM DV.

Ive had Forge 007's & Turbosmart DV's on Vag 1.8T's, & they do not improve peformance at all, but do offer more reliabilty. However an OEM DV is about £25 so you can buy 4 for the price of one Forge or Turbosmart. Unless you are planning on running big boost I can see no point of using anything other than the OEM DV.

I don't have the oem one just the current DV that's on the car reson I am asking is that ok to use and will it do damage? Also if I get a recirculating DV they don't make noise I quite like the sound of a DV or Turbo chatter so say I was to get a recirculating DV how could I get some noise cone filter maybe?

Currently have a spliter valve fitted running at 1.3 bar no probs only a little dump to atmosphere I think it's sett 15 clicks back from full recirc. Works ok no EML on. Gives a bit of waste gate dump noise but I'm led to believe these cars don't dump loud like a subaru or mitsubishi.

Edited by chrisw4266

Currently have a spliter valve fitted running at 1.3 bar no probs only a little dump to atmosphere I think it's sett 15 clicks back from full recirc. Works ok no EML on. Gives a bit of waste gate dump noise but I'm led to believe these cars don't dump loud like a subaru or mitsubishi.

It is not the car doing that noise but the DV so you could make these cars dump loud like the scoobys and evo's but they are not meant to. The scoobys and evo typically can have wide open atmospheric dv's wheras the VAG group 1.8 turbo cars are close loop dv running meaning they are designed to run with recirculating dv's which are quiter. The forge split r type dv's for the vag 1.8t kinda give a half way of both and work well. The fitting of CAI makes a huge difference to the dv sound if folks are after more noise

Sent from my Samsung S3

I agree with both what I was trying to say is if you want DV noise and want the car to run properly you can't, but if you want a bit of DV noise then you have a choice splitter DV set correctly, CAI or open filter. I'm happy with a little whoosh from my splitter and standard air box.

• 1 year later...

I have stage 1 remap on my vrs mk1 , so it does for a short while 1.5 bar , and keeps about 1 bar ,i'm running on stock DV.

My question is that do i need to change to an athmospheric BOV and which diameter ? or need to change the spring tension in my stock dv , or can i leave like it is ???

Maybe a CAI do the sound job than ...
:)

Thanx in advance ...

It is not the car doing that noise but the DV so you could make these cars dump loud like the scoobys and evo's but they are not meant to. The scoobys and evo typically can have wide open atmospheric dv's wheras the VAG group 1.8 turbo cars are close loop dv running meaning they are designed to run with recirculating dv's which are quiter. The forge split r type dv's for the vag 1.8t kinda give a half way of both and work well. The fitting of CAI makes a huge difference to the dv sound if folks are after more noise

Sent from my Samsung S3

Scooby's have a recirc. You need to remap them in order to run an atmospheric dv, other wise the engine runs like crap and will overfuel as it's mapped in to have the air recirced. Any Scooby that has a really loud DV is either driven by a knobber/chav/boy racer-choose your stereo type-without the proper mapping to make it run safe, or has been mapped accordingly. Either way most owners that are not any of the above chose the recirc option if on stage 1-2. Evo's are the same, from the factory they are recirc. It's most likely they've changed the intake to a cone...

So , it seems to have a situation when its better to have a recirc dv even if im on stage 1 , and maybe fit a CAI for raising dv sound ...

Do the tension of dv spring affect my boost as sometimes its waveing between 1 - 0.6 - 1 - 0.6 bar ???

Edited by gjenck