Sat Nav in Elegance

Dancebluecat

Sat-Nav ready????

...it has a double-din hole currently occupied by a bolero which you can throw away and replace with a sat-nav?

TomTom's HD traffic is the most important part of a good satnav. I can not understand why car makers don't include their system in the cars because it is by far the best product. I don't like the feel of TomTom, but the traffic info is what it's about. I've been using it for about three years now and I reckon I must have saved days and days for not sitting in traffic.

Most of the time I need sat-nav (i.e., just the odd occasion), I just use the Google Maps app (free) on my Android phone, with directions Bluetoothed to the Bolero.  If streaming audio via Bluetooth, it even interrupts the audio for the next direction, then restarts it.

Just ordered a F/L to replace my 2011 110 Elegance. Looked at the reversing camera but required Amundsen unit too at £800 total. Already have a perfectly good Nuvi with lifetime European maps and US on micro SD. Travel to Europe and US on business regularly, currently working in Florida so Nuvi is ideal. So spent the money on Kessy instead.

Edited by Gizmo68
Please join Freedom if you wish to advertise on Briskoda
  • Like 1

Most of the time I need sat-nav (i.e., just the odd occasion), I just use the Google Maps app (free) on my Android phone, with directions Bluetoothed to the Bolero.  If streaming audio via Bluetooth, it even interrupts the audio for the next direction, then restarts it.

Yes it is perfect; and incorporates real-time traffic flows...

My 2010 yeti has had a tomtom XL fitted into the top dash box virtually from new. There was a thread at the time on how to do this and even how to wire it in discretely. I just pull out the charging wire and plug into the power socket as required. 

My TomTom has the older version of traffic done through an aerial which I have fixed under the window trim so it work great and is hidden.

This is hidden when not in use and I have added spacers into the lid hinges so it only opens just enough to tilt up the sat nav for use, hence the lid acts as a perfect sunshade in use and looks very neat even when open. 

Also it is near enough the same as mounting on the windscreen as in the drivers sightline, not too low down as it would be on the radio location.

Just ordered a new facelift and the TomTom XL will be fiited again into the dash box rather than hundreds of pounds on a bespoke insallation, as still works perfectly.

Not quite, this is a Garmin unit , but the idea is the same.

The TomTom xl sucker mount is strapped down to the bottom of the dash box with criss crossing plastic ties through 4 small holes.

The mount allows the tom tom to be laid flat, the power lead coiled up and put in the box and the lid closed.

I have never had an issu with temperature affecting the unit in the summer.

I took out the original mat lining the box and put it away safely so when the car is returned at the end of the lease with the sat nav removed and mat replaced there will be no evidence of any holes etc, made a temporary mat to go around the unit whilst it is fitted to the car. As it is a lease car it was also not practical to make a hidden power connection.

Unfortunately the current Tom Tom units have different mounts and are generally wider as well so probably can't be mounted like this

Picked up our FL Elegance yesterday. I have to say from what I'd read I was concerned that the Amundsen may be a bit rubbish but honestly I can say I'm really pleased with it.

It may be because it's a latest version unit but it has full postcode search, excellent 3D navigation, is really intuitive to use, integrates beautifully with the maxidot display - and has the bonus of sounding bloody excellent.

I have the MDI integration with my iPhone so can honestly say I would have no requirement for the hard disk of the Colorado unit - ok so that might have a bigger screen but the maxidot display is pretty much all you need anyway.

• Like 1