How harsh is the ride in a Fabia vRS?

vxh26

EDL only operates on a single brake if that wheel is detected to be spinning and if ASR is on the engine torque can also be limited.

XDS goes further, it uses steering angle data, throttle position, gear selection, speed and engine torque output. If the ecu determines you are powering through a corner demanding high torque it will brake the inside wheel. This pulls the front of the car in reducing understeer tendency and transfers torque to the outer wheel so reduces the chance of wheel spin. As discussed there are different options in VCDS.

And then ESP monitors most of the above but adds yaw sensors to determine understeer and oversteer and also brings in the brake biasing sub systems, any wheel can be braked to differing levels to try and keep the car on the intended path as well as engine torque controlled

VAG models do differ on how severe the intervention is, some have limited driver adjustment and when turning off ESP/ASR some leave some systems on and some don't.

Both my VW and Skoda leave on EDL even though ASR/ESP is off.

Would be nice if VAG offered variable systems like BMW. Even basic models get three modes, DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) gives full ESP/EDL/ASR in vag speak. Any wheelspin is killed by braking the spinning wheel and reducing power, ESP intervenes if any understeer or oversteer is detected.

A press of the TC button gives DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) this allows limited wheel spin, understeer and oversteer, enough to have some fun and a bit of a slide but not get out of control.

A long press of the TC button turns everything off but on cars without mechanical LSD gives ABD-Sport E-Diff which is similar to XDS but obviously works on the rear axle. Doesn't kill power though so gives the option of a nice Clarkson power slide.

And as you say how these operate is directly related to mechanical grip so tyres and road surface play a massive part.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

It seems that a harsh ride in a Fabia vRS may be far from the most significant issue.  I am astonished that Skoda consider oil consumption of ½ litre per 1,000 km to be perfectly acceptable.  Does anyone know whether this Is the case just with the 178 bhp Fabia vRS or does it apply to all the 1.4 TSI engines?

vxh, my first one (cave engine) used a litre in 10k , and nothing after that to 50k.... this one uses a little more, was 1.5 litre in frst 10k, and 0.5 litre 3,000 miles after service, thats all perfectly ok by me! there are MORE good engines than bad ones ;)

The 1.4 TSI Block is the same when fitted with just a Turbo 105 ps, 122 ps, 140 ps, 160ps, etc. or then fitted with a Supercharger & Turbo

The Twiincharger with 150ps has no issues that is know of. or the 160ps Twinchargers.

(other than any problem the odd engine can get.)

VAG give the same possible figure 0.5 litres per 1000km for all engines from 60 ps up and 3 cylinder or 4 cylinder petrol or diesel.

It is a figure given in their Owners Manuals for all cars.

Ones that use Oil at the rate VW suggest that might be OK, are faulty surely and in the minority.

It is a case with VAG that they sometimes get builds wrong or components and never admit it is their fault.

Decades of history of that.

They seem very low key about their new big thing, Cylinder Deactivating Engines at present, ACT, COD.

Maybe that is their next problem engines if they ignore the customers complaints and problems.

The 1.4 TSI, engine has had Awards for 4 years for the Technology,

it is just a pity that VAG seem to sweep problems some have under the carpet.

george

It seems that a harsh ride in a Fabia vRS may be far from the most significant issue.  I am astonished that Skoda consider oil consumption of ½ litre per 1,000 km to be perfectly acceptable.  Does anyone know whether this Is the case just with the 178 bhp Fabia vRS or does it apply to all the 1.4 TSI engines?

There are hundreds of threads on here about oil consumption so I fail to understand why you cannot add your comments to one of these rather than to this one...there are multiple aspects to any vehicle and it helps to discuss one topic at a time,thank you. 

Steering this thread back to ride comfort, would something like the Bilstein B8s with the Eibachs give a significant improvement on ride quality. I'd be willing to invest in a suspension upgrade if it did, I know it's not a fair comparison but a decent set of MeisterR coilovers on my MX5 transformed the ride comfort quality as well as the handling. I really like my VRS apart from the ride now I'm doing more mileage.

ETA Hmm as my car is financed, I'm guessing I can't touch it in any way regarding modification from standard?

Edited by TeebsVRS

I don't believe the changes you mention would bother the finance company.

As I've said several times,IMO a better shock absorber will improve both ride and handling,which is borne out by your experience with the MX5.

... Hmm as my car is financed, I'm guessing I can't touch it in any way regarding modification from standard?

This is something I have considered.  However, quite aside from any possible issues with the finance company, how would my insurance company react to a suspension upgrade?  I very much doubt that they have either the skills or the time to evaluate what impact such an upgrade would have on the safety of the car and as a result they would simply either decline to renew or load my premium.

Surely you Just road test a new demonstrator,

then road test a used sales car to see how they are with some miles on them , if you like go for that, if not then something else.

seems pretty simple and better than the opinions of what others like or dislike unless they actually happen to travel about with you or drive your car.

'Seats' drive quite nicely and some Leons have Multi Link Suspension, and better engine choices than with a 'Skoda'.

george

• 1 year later...

vxh26,

this thread might help with more research for your current work on a Sticky on Oil & the Twinchargers.

Starts off where you know nothing really about the cars and CAVE / CTHE just what you have heard,

post #10 as an example.

& maybe read post #55 among others. 

How many miles have you now covered driving a Twincharger since you started this thread, and what are your feelings on them now?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2