How harsh is the ride in a Fabia vRS?

vxh26

My Abarth 500 had waaaaay firmer suspension than the Fabia but also felt much less crashy at the same time. Weird. Poor surfaces just didn't jiggle and vibrate like they do in the Furby, just felt solidly planted.

My Abarth 500 had waaaaay firmer suspension than the Fabia but also felt much less crashy at the same time. Weird. Poor surfaces just didn't jiggle and vibrate like they do in the Furby, just felt solidly planted.

Do you think that there is any validity in the various suggestions that this is a function of the silly 18" wheels and resulting low profile tyres?

Do you think that there is any validity in the various suggestions that this is a function of the silly 18" wheels and resulting low profile tyres?

It's actually 17" wheels on the vRS but yeah I defo reckon a lot if it is down to the tyres. 205/40 gives a very slim sidewall!

Both of them are on 17" wheels, the Abarth seemed to have both a 16" and 18" option though?

The wheel size, and in turn, low profile tyres certainly doesn't help matters. Have a test drive, only you can tell what you feel is acceptable.

Both of them are on 17" wheels, the Abarth seemed to have both a 16" and 18" option though?

The wheel size, and in turn, low profile tyres certainly doesn't help matters. Have a test drive, only you can tell what you feel is acceptable.

The Abarth has 16" wheels as standard (on the car I had) although a lot are specced with 17" optional wheels. The 595. Special editions come with 17" as standard. Not seen any with 18" tho.

My Abarth 500 had waaaaay firmer suspension than the Fabia but also felt much less crashy at the same time. Weird. Poor surfaces just didn't jiggle and vibrate like they do in the Furby, just felt solidly planted.[/quote

Read what I said earlier...firm springs call for firm shocks to control the spring movement and enhance comfort.

So I would conclude that your Abarth has firm shocks correctly matched to its springs whereas the Fabia has not.

The fabia vRS and Monte pick up road imperfections badly though and that's more to do with the thickness of the tyre wall cushion than damping in my opinion.

Spring rates and damping are always a compromise and the 14 year old PQ24 Chassis isn't known for it's stiffness. 

But the OP is concerned about ride quality, we wanted a vRS and the main reason we didn't get one was because of the ride quality. If ride quality is a priority to you I doubt you will find a vRS or Monte to your taste.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

The fabia vRS and Monte pick up road imperfections badly though and that's more to do with the thickness of the tyre wall cushion than damping in my opinion.

Spring rates and damping are always a compromise and the 14 year old PQ24 Chassis isn't known for it's stiffness. 

But the OP is concerned about ride quality, we wanted a vRS and the main reason we didn't get one was because of the ride quality. If ride quality is a priority to you I doubt you will find a vRS or Monte to your taste.

Cheers

Lee[/quote

So why is it that with mine now on 195/50/16 winter tyres the ride is no better?

Read what I said earlier...firm springs call for firm shocks to control the spring movement and enhance comfort.

So I would conclude that your Abarth has firm shocks correctly matched to its springs whereas the Fabia has not.

Yeah that sounds about right. I suspect the Fabia ride issue comes from a combination of sources - the low sidewall, ageing chassis and sub-optimal suspension setup. :-)

I'm on 16" Seat Leon wheels for my winter tyres atm and no improvement in ride whatsoever.

I did notice that both the Leon wheels and the Gigaro's feel pretty weighty as alloys go.  Can't imagine a mismatch of unsprung/sprung weight will help the vRS at all.  Maybe those who did better with smaller wheels managed to lose some unsprung weight at the same time.

Think better damping is also needed.

With that said although the crashiness can at times be jarring I would say that on a whole if you compare it with sporty versions of Honda Civic, Renault Clio et al the Ride quality on the vRS is still a touch more compliant/livable day to day.   I think noise transmission to the cabin and the odd cringey moment with a pothole reduces driver confidence that you aren't killing your car.  With stereo on full blast the ride seems to improve as you hear less from the suspension noise.

If you run a standard vRS Hatch like many other cars including other Fabias, without a 19kg Spare wheel carried, 

Then in addition remove the 25kg weights bolted to the rear crash bar, the ride changes a bit.

Some may think for the better.

(that is 44 kg less weight in the rear most 36" of the car.)

Yes you might fill the boot and the Tank, and carry passengers, but you still start at a point 44 kg less.

The car kerb weight is actually quite light compared to other ones when running that way.

Much the same as a Monte Carlo diesel weighs

The vRS estate has the Spare wheel in as standard, but not the weights fixed on, and has a bit longer overhang,

also comes with different Springs as standard from the factory.

Rides a bit nicer for that i believe, same 205/40 R 17 tyres and wheels fitted.

george

My Monte estate is definitely more comfy than my vrs hatch was, but not sure if it's the same kit as a vrs estate. Seems too soft to me to be suitable for use in a vrs but it might just be the CDs that makes the difference in a vrs??

CDs? XDS... Silly autocorrect.

XDS makes no difference to ride.

It's an electronic system that applies the inside front brake when cornering during applications of high engine torque. This helps prevent wheelspin and helps reduce understeer.

Cheers

Lee

XDS makes no difference to ride.

It's an electronic system that applies the inside front brake when cornering during applications of high engine torque. This helps prevent wheelspin and helps reduce understeer.

Cheers

Lee

I was referring to the handling difference between my VRS Fabia hatch and my Monte Fabia estate. Various folk on here have said at some stage or other than the suspension is basically the same, yet my estate handles worse than my VRS (even accounting for its large rear end).

So my suspicion is that the Monte estate has softer suspension than my VRS hatch, though it's possible that the VRS estate is also softer.

Agree, makes no difference whatsoever to the ride. Just wondered if the XDS had more of a part to play in handling than I thought (as apart from the suspension, that's the other big difference).

I thought it was a well established fact that the hatches handle the best.

Also on timed laps around the Nurburgring it has been shown that Green ones are several seconds faster per lap :yes:

Handles best,

but the estates feel smother while doing its thing, (actual)

and in Brochures are 5 kg lighter 1 mph higher top speed more, quicker 0-62.

But then in VAG Brochures,

Each VAG car with the same engine but which is more expensive to buy,

gets faster top speeds the more they cost, and take less seconds to do the 0-62,

have lower CO/2 emissions & yet oddly are heavier and have wider tyres.

Handles best,

but the estates feel smother while doing its thing, (actual)

and in Brochures are 5 kg lighter 1 mph higher top speed more, quicker 0-62.

But then in VAG Brochures,

Each VAG car with the same engine but which is more expensive to buy,

gets faster top speeds the more they cost, and take less seconds to do the 0-62,

have lower CO/2 emissions & yet oddly are heavier and have wider tyres.

..and we all know that the Fabia is quicker than the book says...

Just my 2 pence worth on the 3 test drives I had in the 3 different Monte's one thing I did notice is that it's very smooth on the M way I also drove it on lots of different roads to evaluate them before ordering a Monte TDi and did find the car's suspension very complaint on all surfaces :) can't wait to pick my car up at the end of Jan......:)

I was referring to the handling difference between my VRS Fabia hatch and my Monte Fabia estate. Various folk on here have said at some stage or other than the suspension is basically the same, yet my estate handles worse than my VRS (even accounting for its large rear end).

So my suspicion is that the Monte estate has softer suspension than my VRS hatch, though it's possible that the VRS estate is also softer.

Agree, makes no difference whatsoever to the ride. Just wondered if the XDS had more of a part to play in handling than I thought (as apart from the suspension, that's the other big difference).

XDS only operates when really pushing on unless someone has been playing in VCDS. If you are feeding the car down a twisty B road at high speed but medium throttle inputs you won't be getting XDS inputs. The differences will be down to spring and damper rates and a very slight difference in weight distribution. The Monte has different spring and damper rates depending on engine fitment.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Lee,

you comment quite a lot on XDS, which some do change the setting on,

you have EDL as VAG used to call it,, and a further advancement XDS. Is it any different?

We know Open Difs feed the wheel of least resistance.

So EDL, XDS, 'Compares the RPM of the drive wheels & identifies the difference , individual wheel spinning etc'

Using the hydraulic from 5-15% braking drive wheel without the level of grip, & that is the spinning wheel allowing the power to the wheel with drive.

Until both wheels have uniform RPM etc etc

(some do change the setting of the XDS, because that can be done. it can unsettle things quite dramatically, tyres, and grip having a lot to do with it, then what brake pads are fitted.)

It is very little brake pressure actually required to stop the un weighted wheel from spinning.

ASR, Anti Slip Regulation Traction,  "Traction Control"

Engine Torque is automatically cut, if the power or torque to the wheels is to great on slippery surfaces,

Reduced untill optimum road holding is restored, etc 

Where you have ESP, which is designed to stabilise the dynamic handling  etc etc 

ESP constantly compares the actual movement of the vehicle within predetermined values etc etc 

and according to the situation ESP reacts by braking each wheel according to direction of slip,  blah blah blah.

*Automatically adjusting the engine's output.*

Long Story short, different tyres, different road surfaces and the XDS can quite easily be felt operating,

& ESP can be there unsettling things, not always much speed needing to be involved just cornering and the surface..

Same car, same tyres, same road. down it with TC on, and then again with TC off and,

then off the line, if you are going up hill or not on a straight or level camber,

its amazing how it can feel like different suspension when actually it is just less Electronic and braking interference.

Good tyres and good surface and Grip and its amazing the different feeling of ESP or XDS.

PS,

Estate given as 5 kg lighter than Hatch,  that will be 2 standard with no options fitted maybe, once upon a time in Skoda Land.

then remove the sandbagging weights done to have it like that and the hatch is 20 kg lighter.

Then sit a fatty like me in and its maybe 100 kg heavier.

I think the Estate is just better balanced and the rear springs suit the wheelbase and body length/overhang

Remove the rear weights from the Hatch, i think the Balance is better.

george