Vacuum Hoses and Crankcase Breather Pipe

Hi Guys,

I think I may have a brake issues caused by a leak in the vacuum hoses somewhere, so I was having a look today at the hoses and noticed this.

post-60860-0-41525100-1386249800_thumb.jpg

post-60860-0-81204700-1386249818_thumb.jpg

I understand this to be the breather hose from the crank case and that some of the oil from here helps to lubricate the turbo. As you can see from the pics the hose is knackered. Not sure it'll actualy do a great deal, but at least it'll stop oil coming out onto the top of the engine.

I was looking to just replace all the vacuum hoses with new silicone ones to see if that clears up the brake assist issue. Is there a guide anywhere? I can see me getting the wrong sized hose or missing a section that might have a leak.

I've seen this on Ebay and it's listed as being correct for the model and year, any thought?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Hose-Pipe-Red-Vacuum-Kit-Silicon-Skoda-Fabia-ID15584-/310729002242?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4858e44d02

All help and advice appreciated.

• Like 1

Dependant on how bad the split was you should see some improvements in performance as the MAF is receiving a specified amount of air just after the airbox and due to the intake pressure of the turbo sucking in all that air you'll be getting excess air from that split, so it will be running ever so lean = loss of power.  

Worth while upgrade is to do the elephant mod whilst you're at that stage! Haven't heard anything about the oil being used as a lubricant for the turbo though. Should have sufficient lubrication from the oil feed?

There is a hose which is prone to splitting which does affect the brakes. I don't know too much about it though, or which hose it is, so hopefully someone who does know will be along soon to help you with that.

There is a hose which is prone to splitting which does affect the brakes. I don't know too much about it though, or which hose it is, so hopefully someone who does know will be along soon to help you with that.

mine split, it comes off the back of the engine on the right hand side, can't just buy the bit that's split either you have to buy the full brake servo hose which goes from the picture right back round into the servo. Ball ache and it's about £25

Posted Image

Okay, have done the Elephant mod as I had some washing machine hose kicking about and a rubber ferrule to bung the EGR inlet pipe. Not been for a drive yet to see if there's a noticable difference, but might pop out to get some food.

I'll have a look at the hose in question tomorrow now if I get chance, but I won't have the car for too long. Thanks for the reply and the pictures though, helpful to know. Is there a link somewhere to doing a basic servo/vac test? do I need some kit to do it?

It's actually going into the garage to get a quote to repair my bent suspension where some old lady tried to ram me off the road in a 4x4 forcing me to hit the Kurb. We replaced the wishbone on one side, but it looks like the offside's damaged too as my tyres wearing on the inside edge and the console bush is knackered.

• 2 months later...

Car seems to have been working fine with the elephant mod, although I think maybe the MAF sensor has failed again.

Does anyone have a how to or Is there a link somewhere to doing a basic servo/vac test? do I need some kit to do it?

Ah, i unplugged the MAF and it made no difference, complete lack of power with it plugged in or unplugged. I thought last time with it unplugged there was an improvement in perfomance.

I have now put a diode in, as per the diode delete, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference either though, which is a bit of a worry. I was expecting that to sort it out. I also cleaned the EGR valve as it was a little coked up, but nothing major.

Will try and get my Vag Com lead working on this laptop and see if there's any new codes. Somewhat concerned as I need to get to Ipswich next Friday morning and I don't think I'll get there in this.

Ran VCDS Lite with my aftermarket lead and go this:

17964 -  Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation ( I have recently done the 'Elephant Mod' I also disconnected the vacuum hose to the EDR valve and plugged the tube when trying the diode delete mod on the MAF today)

17552 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs ( I assume that's this VAG Error Code: 17552 EOBD II Error Code: P1144 Fault Location:Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70), bank 1 - open circuit/short to earth Possible Cause: Wiring open circuit/short to earth.Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70). I have put a diode in the MAF connectors to see if that would work, maybe that's why I have the code? or this may have been there prior and the MAF's shot

00849 -  S-contact at Ignition/Starter Switch (D)         25-00 -  Unknown Switch Condition - Not seen this one before, i guess this is just a dodgy connection somewhere on the starter switch and nothing to do with the limp mode.

00898 -  Control Circuit A/C compressor        30-10 -  Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent - I did have a really wierd noise using the Aircon last summer, anyone remember summer? Not bothered doing anything about this as, let's face it, summer is such a rare occurance here I didn't see the point.

Very tempted to give up on this car, get something else and push this one into the local canal. :wall:

Wanted to get this back into shape and sell it, but I haven't the foggiest what I need to do to sort this out. Is it just the MAF or has some hose let go and where do I find the hoses and leaks? I don't have any vacuum tools.

Right,

Replaced the MAF with one from Volksmania, £20. Still no power through the gears, nothing above 3,000 rpm in 4th and nothing in 5th. Struggling more under load or uphill.

Anyone know a good canal I can push it into, alternativley anyone in Bristol that might be able to fault find?