Funny little quirks/ questions

Yety

After two years almost exactly, I've noticed a few "odd" things.

The rear wiper rests at different positions on alternate wipes. If the wiper is turned off when it stops at a high position,when the engine is re-started the rear wiper does one cycle and then stops in the lower position - very logical and German.

When alone in the car and very still (I've slept in the car recently for a few nights), there is a noise like a team of mice with boots on somewhere in the dash - maybe the radio/cd player, maybe the stepper motors in the heating/ventilation system, or even indeed mice.

Then there is the lurch when moving off slowly on full lock - is it the Haldex kicking in/out, is it software amending throttle response for this situation, or something else.

When the heater motor is off,and I guess associated climate control, and the car moving along, does the restricted airflow still give the temperature indicated on the knob to the cabin.

The sharp engine cut-off when breasting a hill on gentle throttle opening.

There are more things, but at risk of appearing more quirky than Graham (sorry Graham, we Welsh have to stick together, I'll stop there.

I think the different wiper rest positions is to preserve the wiper blades. Alternating which way the rubber flexes seems to be good for them?

My front wipers (Skoda Superb) do the same.

The lurch on full-lock is as you mention, Haldex related. A few Octavia owners have observed this on the 4x4 and Scout models.

As too has the loss of power as you crest a hill. I can't remember what the reasoning was, someone mentioned fuel starvation, but it seemed to be on the petrol vRS only?

1) I think the different wiper rest positions is to preserve the wiper blades. Alternating which way the rubber flexes seems to be good for them?

The lurch on full-lock is as you mention, Haldex related. A few Octavia owners have observed this on the 4x4 and Scout models.

2) As too has the loss of power as you crest a hill. I can't remember what the reasoning was, someone mentioned fuel starvation, but it seemed to be on the petrol vRS only?

1) Yes, I know that, but that is not what I said or on about!!

2) It can't be fuel starvation, It must be an ECU fuel induced cut-off to save fuel in those conditions- just very noticeable.

The "cough" or "lurch" is caused by the fuel shut-off on the overrun not being quick enough to "re-connect" when you first stick your foot down, and is a characturistic of all VAG diesels.

Can be cured by a gentle "tap" on the loud pedal just before you reach the bottom of the hill.

"When alone in the car and very still (I've slept in the car recently for a few nights), there is a noise like a team of mice with boots on somewhere in the dash - maybe the radio/cd player, maybe the stepper motors in the heating/ventilation system, or even indeed mice."

I can answer this one! It will only happen if you leave a CD in the Bolero. I only ever listen to MP3s on a SD card but the odd time SWMBO has left a CD in the Bolero, this noise is the result even with the engine and Bolero switched off. Why it does it is a total mystery!!?

Edited by Horacecoker

The scratching sounds are from your next door neighbours hamsters....................their daughter lost them last week, and they have taken refuge in your Yeti :giggle:

"When alone in the car and very still (I've slept in the car recently for a few nights), there is a noise like a team of mice with boots on somewhere in the dash - maybe the radio/cd player, maybe the stepper motors in the heating/ventilation system, or even indeed mice."

I can answer this one! It will only happen if you leave a CD in the Bolero. I only ever listen to MP3s on a SD card but the odd time SWMBO has left a CD in the Bolero, this noise is the result even with the engine and Bolero switched off. Why it does it is a total mystery!!?

Nope!

I haven't put a CD in the Bolero on mine for over a year, but it stills makes the noise.

Nope!

I haven't put a CD in the Bolero on mine for over a year, but it stills makes the noise.

My Mondeo does a similar thing. Good to know my newly ordered Yeti will be similar :)

My Mondeo does a similar thing. Good to know my newly ordered Yeti will be similar :)

Our Mondeo (2008, Mk4) does too. I thought it was the satnav DVD being read (that's permanently in there, inserted/removed via a hidden panel, I had to google how to find it!). Either that or some ventilation motors changing position.