Drivers footwell wet

Today i thought i would treat my car to a wash as it looked very dirty but being lazy i went to the car wash, I got out of the car have found the drivers floor is now soaking wet :sweat:  it has never been noticeably wet before does anyone have any ideas why ? and what i should do to stop it other than not go to the car wash again but i am concerned it may happen in the rain now !

No.1 - Have you opened the wheel arch liners and cleaned out the scuttle drains from the windscren?

No.2 - Have the speakers or any electrical work on the drivers door been done, which may have damaged the membranes?

if your not sure, pop off the door card and check the membrane.

Mine suffered from this and it was the scuttle drains. Take the windscreen scuttle off and in the top corner have a poke around in some leaf gunk. Eventually you'll poke the drain hole that is blocked and all the water should fall out onto the floor by your wheel.

Have fun poking :rofl:

ps. when my car was peeing itself they had to re-seal the bulk head panel as it had been wet for a long time and messed all the seal up. No problems since. Good luck

There seems to be lots of us having to deal with this in the last month!

I am not the most mechanically minded but as stated you need to clear out the area under the drivers side scuttle panel and the wheel arch liner so water can drain out. In my case I had recently had the pollen filter changed so the passenger side scuttle panel was clear.

Other posts have mentioned removing wiper arms I found it wasn't needed really, it was literally open the bonnet, remove the rubber strip parallel to the windscreen, unclip the scuttle panel (I seem to remember it clips together to the passenger side scuttle panel near the centre of the windscreen) and from there you should be able to lift up the drivers scuttle panel enough to get a very long flat blade screw driver in if needed and reach in and get rid of all the compost/leaves in there.

The wheel arch liners are easy to remove even for me using a scissor jack and a spare wheel underneath as a backup. The most time consuming part of this jacking the car up each side and in my case removing wheels for easy access.

I cleared everything out and have now had no water ingress.

I found the best way to clear out existing water is long drives with the climate on high, rear windows slightly open so you don't cook and keep whacking kitchen roll down in the footwells.

There seems to be lots of us having to deal with this in the last month!

I found the best way to clear out existing water is long drives with the climate on high, rear windows slightly open so you don't cook and keep whacking kitchen roll down in the footwells.

Its easy know its winter and the rains have come upon us....

seem to recall this time last year there being quite a few Wet Octy Posts too!

Any particular brand of Kitchen Roll you'd recommend :giggle:

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for your replys, I took the 2 bottom screws out of the front arch liners and i got a field out of the drivers side and half a field out of the passenger side :think:  !

I put my hand under the scuttle on the drivers side and there was a lot of muck in there, I got what i can out without removing the scuttle as i dont know how to remove the scuttle ( i want to do my pollen filter ) also i am concerned about refitting as the scuttle pannels used to be terrible for leaking on my old focus !

These threads are very common this time of year and a good search on forum will reveal this....

You will find the most common to do first is the wheel arch liners and clean out the scuttle drain channel/holes either side of inner wings under plastic scuttle panel.

other very common areas are these if the above don't work: 

- Door inner panel plastic membrane(these can be damaged from speaker installs) and if broken allow water that runs down into cabin floor

- Door rubbers( weak door rubbers will not seal over the metal door frame/lip)

- Door drainage blocked

Or a combination of all 3

Hi 

Had this problem myself and have got loads of great advice especially from Bowders 1...thanks mate!  

Did the area clean out around the pollen filter and bonnet release cable.  I found to get in properly I did have to remove both wipers and the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen.  Once removed the driver side trim had load of mud on the rubber seal that sits against the windscreen so cleaned that up.  Cleaned the compost out of the rear part of the front wheel arches then poured loads of water in the pollen filter and bonnet release cable areas which then ran freely out down behind the wheel arches.

Removed the drivers door card to reveal no membrane at all.  Some was remaining around the speaker which was almost deflecting the water running outside the car into the car!  So get this...got the dining table plastic covering (stops the kids ruining the wooden table) and cut it to size stuck it down with waterproof evo stick glue and waterproof Duct tape.  Getting the door card back on was a nightmare!

Checked the rear drivers side door today everything okay there.

Oh yes one more thing, heaters on full blast and my mechanic friend while checking for another problem pulled the drain bung out (rear one) loads of water came out.  I am leaving it out till after summer (if we get one hopefully will dry out).  

I am using those heavy duty Blue paper towels and leaving them in both footwells and the mats are drying (hopefully) in the garage!  What a nightmare!  My Mechanic friend mentioned about getting the carpets up as the soundproofing/underlay/sponge! will be soaked through.  Had a look at what might be involved in that...a mans got to know his limitations.  It will be like the door cards easy to get off...nightmare to get back on.

BRISKODA rocks there is no way I would have had a clue without the great advice on here.  Skoda would have charged an arm and a leg and would have taken me for a real ride!

• Like 1

Hi 

Had this problem myself and have got loads of great advice especially from Bowders 1...thanks mate!  

Did the area clean out around the pollen filter and bonnet release cable.  I found to get in properly I did have to remove both wipers and the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen.  Once removed the driver side trim had load of mud on the rubber seal that sits against the windscreen so cleaned that up.  Cleaned the compost out of the rear part of the front wheel arches then poured loads of water in the pollen filter and bonnet release cable areas which then ran freely out down behind the wheel arches.

Removed the drivers door card to reveal no membrane at all.  Some was remaining around the speaker which was almost deflecting the water running outside the car into the car!  So get this...got the dining table plastic covering (stops the kids ruining the wooden table) and cut it to size stuck it down with waterproof evo stick glue and waterproof Duct tape.  Getting the door card back on was a nightmare!

Checked the rear drivers side door today everything okay there.

Oh yes one more thing, heaters on full blast and my mechanic friend while checking for another problem pulled the drain bung out (rear one) loads of water came out.  I am leaving it out till after summer (if we get one hopefully will dry out).  

I am using those heavy duty Blue paper towels and leaving them in both footwells and the mats are drying (hopefully) in the garage!  What a nightmare!  My Mechanic friend mentioned about getting the carpets up as the soundproofing/underlay/sponge! will be soaked through.  Had a look at what might be involved in that...a mans got to know his limitations.  It will be like the door cards easy to get off...nightmare to get back on.

BRISKODA rocks there is no way I would have had a clue without the great advice on here.  Skoda would have charged an arm and a leg and would have taken me for a real ride!

Nice one dude...

i did a thread on how to remove carpet if you ever feel up to it as not that bad actually. I replaced mine for a Black carpet from a VW Bora as got too fed up with cleaning the light one 

Had the same problem. Managed to clean out the drain hole in the scuttle without removing the cover but still concerned about that stupid bonnet cable grommet. I will silicone that asap. No leaks so far. I found the best to mop up were cheap absorbent nappies which contain the water unlike sponges etc.I packed them in and left overnight with a weight on they soaked up a great deal of the water.Then a fan heater set on low for a few days seemed to do the trick.The whole thing is badly designed and should have been altered in manufacture years ago.

• Groan 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem as well, if I do remove the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen as I,m going to do the pollen filter at the same time, do you have to re seal the plastic trim or does it just slot it place. Or can you get the pollen filter out without removing the plastic trim??

Cheers