Thinking of chopping the VRS in

grapo

I must admit I loved the DSG, im now in a manual again now, but in all honesty the only time i have missed the DSG is when stuck in traffic.

Would i have it again..not the 7Spd as i dont rate it, but the 6 Spd DSG is much more sporty in its GTI/R guises.

I drove the Ibiza 2.0tdi FR before I bought the Fabia. Would have had it over the vRS truth be told but the wife was adamant she wanted DSG so that was that.

Interior of the Ibiza looks cheaper to me but the ride and handling were far superior. The 2.0 Tdi 140 in a small car is quite punchy although not quite as quick as the vRS outright.

MSN Cars have just reviewed the Ibiza Cupra with the vRS engine and DSG, £18225 against £16999 for a Fiesta ST, it's a no brainer for me, ST any day and with £1200 spare to play with.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/seat-ibiza-cupra-review-2013-onwards-1

Not sure this has anything to do with a used FR 2.0 tdi...

It hasn't really but it shows that there's better cars out there than Ibizas and quite a bit cheaper as well.

I know FR 2.0 TDIs are a different beast but wouldn't having a heavy Diesel engine up front spoil the handling a bit.

I had the Fabia VRS for 18 months but exactly like you I could never get on with the DSG.

It is a remarkable bit of kit but I just missed the ultimate control of driving a manual.

The VRS was extremely fast for the money but I could never fully unleash its potential on my daily commute and between shift work and home life I would never have time to go out 'just for a drive' or consider track days.

I traded it in for the Ibiza 2.0 CR143 last year.

I've had the Ibiza for 15 months now and overall I am pleased with it. The quality of materials is about the same as the VRS although I still haven't had a rattle in the Ibiza (had one in the VRS from day 1) but the seats are better in the VRS.

Couple of things I miss are the Maxidot and the sound system in the VRS (8 speakers compared to 4 in the FR).

The ride feels better in the Ibiza as is the MPG (45 compared to 32) although I know that's not what you buy a VRS for!

I did miss the performance of the VRS after a few months and as such I have been running a TDI-Tuning box for the last year (170bhp, 290lbs)  on the Ibiza and although this has made a big difference I still miss the Twin charge of the VRS some days.

I am looking at other cars at the moment as I feel I need a change again (even though i'm £1500 in negative equity) but that's more to do with the fact that i'm never happy with a car and end up changing them after less than 2 years (my wife hates me!!)

Hope this helps a bit. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and i'll give you an honest reply/comparison as ive owned both vehicles.

Cheers.

Thanks Fox. That's really interesting about the stereo. The one in my vrs is awful, can't turn the bass up at all as everything vibrates. This is in contrast to my girlfriends mk5 ibiza sport which has fantastic bassy speakers. From what your saying I'm beginning to think the speakers in my girlfriends ibiza have been upgraded.

How is the ibizas handling compared to the vrs?

*edit*

Just looked back at your thread about your ibiza. I'm looking at the pre facelift so my sure if speakers changed at all? Also the one I'm looking at has 17" wheels.

Edited by grapo

I have found it to be much 'sportier'.

The standard vrs seems to sit much higher and certainly rolled more under hard cornering.

I've heard others comment (on seatcupra.net) that they find the FR ride harsh but in my opinion it rides better than the vrs.

In regards to the stereo when i changed cars it was on a bit of a whim (as I tend to do) and as such I traded it for a standard 'stock' FR which unfortunately (having looked into the matter since) was in the 6 month period where Seat changed the 'standard' sound system to 4 speakers instead of 6 (which they have now returned to). So this may explain why mine is crap and your mrs' is better.

looking at Suzuki Swift Sport at the moment for some old school N/A fun!

I'm an idiot!!!

Absolutely.

I can handle the embarrassment its the couple of grand each time to balance out the negative equity that's the problem!

Think i'll have to try and be sensible this time and wait until August time where i'll owe it less.

I've even looked at a new vrs (estate) as i miss the sound of the supercharger, trying to convince myself that i would get on with the DSG this time!

Perhaps we should just swap for a few months at a time!!!!

Problem is there are always aspect you miss from old cars and there will always be things you don't like about any new purchase so you'll never be truly happy and look for the next 'fix' convincing yourself it will be 'the one'.

Sorry just realised how 'mental' i sound when talking about cars. Don't tell my Mrs!!!

• Like 1

Don't blame you Graham - I am having fun in the Rapid being a manual and six speed - may be down on power but handles just as well and it's 200kg lighter.

Have you looked at a new rapid spaceback with the sporty pack and manual box?

Don't blame you Graham - I am having fun in the Rapid being a manual and six speed - may be down on power but handles just as well and it's 200kg lighter.

Have you looked at a new rapid spaceback with the sporty pack and manual box?

Yeah like the look of the spaceback but it's out of my price range unfortunately.

Seen your other post £10k trade in is silly!

Space back is expensive but then so was the Rapid I have - same list price for my elegance as a vrs fabia!

Didn't pay list though, Russel did me a good deal.

I think you'd be quite surprised by a 1.2T 105 Rapid, good torquey engine with decent mpg.

I have driven the SEAT Ibiza 140 CR manual.

It's more fun than the VRS.

Before everyone gets excited I didn't say quicker, I said more fun.

It doesn't have linear performance so you can feel something happening and it doesn't have the DSG so if you like to feel more connected to the car and hussle it along with old fashioned controls (like me) then it ticks that box too.

A bit of heal and toe, slotting through the gears and blipping on a down change as you sweep into a bend.  Lovely.

Obviously it's got a heavy lump in the front, but it's not a racing car is it?

It's more fun and more frugal.  But it's a SEAT unfortunately, I'd prefer a Skoda.

It's probably going to be more reliable too.  They don't use hardly any oil for a start and the 2.0 CR engines are workhorses IMO.

Shame Skoda didn't make a version.  Would have been lovely as a mk1 VRS follow on.  Twits.

Only thing I preferred in the VRS were the seats.

• Like 2

I have driven the SEAT Ibiza 140 CR manual.

It's more fun than the VRS.

Before everyone gets excited I didn't say quicker, I said more fun. 

In your opinion, of course. It's not a given otherwise.

Edited by OzFabia

If anyone has a chance check out the 5th gear video of the Ibiza FR 2.0CR v Mini Cooper D. The test is in the wet and the Ibiza comes out on top, maybe a different story in the dry but quite impressive that tiff liked the handling so much compared to the "drivers car" Mini.

Edited by grapo

In your opinion, of course. It's not a given otherwise.

Oh my, I may have said something not 100% positive about a Fabia...

Yes, of course it's in my opinion, it's me writing it.

Do you think I need to write "in my opinion" before absolutely every post I make on this forum or is it possible to understand that if I write it, it's probably my opinion?

<sigh>

• Like 1

Don't forget that if you want something a bit frisky the 140 maps to about 175 too, with a nice torque boost that'll give you a shove in the back.

That's a lot of performance and fun in a small hatch with good economy.

I'd still rather it was a Skoda though. :)

• Like 1

Don't forget that if you want something a bit frisky the 140 maps to about 175 too.

That's a lot of performance and fun in a small hatch with good economy.

I'd still rather it was a Skoda though. :)

The badge on the front of the car doesn't worry me a bit, it's the overall package I'm interested in. I bought a Skoda after all so no one can call me a badge snob!

Oh my, I may have said something not 100% positive about a Fabia...

Yes, of course it's in my opinion, it's me writing it.

Do you think I need to write "in my opinion" before absolutely every post I make on this forum or is it possible to understand that if I write it, it's probably my opinion?

<sigh>

Well, I apologise. I just get tired of the constant presumption that a manual is a "real" transmission or the only "fun" transmission. Not from you, I admit, but on every motoring or car site. It gets a bit wearing, especially when people from a Skoda site make the same statements that sound like they are unarguable facts. The same goes for the old diesel is better routine.

Anyway, carry on. Grapo has his reasons, and input from people with experience of the alternatives must be welcome. :happy:

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 1

Well, I apologise. I just get tired of the constant presumption that a manual is a "real" transmission or the only "fun" transmission. Not from you, I admit, but on every motoring or car site. It gets a bit wearing, especially when people from a Skoda site make the same statements that sound like they are unarguable facts. The same goes for the old diesel is better routine.

Anyway, carry on. Grapo has his reasons, and input from people with experience of the alternatives must be welcome. :happy:

It's equally tiring when people constantly claim DSG is the perfect transmission capable of doing everything perfectly, including making a cup of tea suited to each driver without asking them if they want sugR, or how they take their milk...

Horses for courses OzFabia. :)

As per my earlier post.

It doesn't have linear performance so you can feel something happening and it doesn't have the DSG so if you like to feel more connected to the car and hussle it along with old fashioned controls (like me) then it ticks that box too.

A bit of heal and toe, slotting through the gears and blipping on a down change as you sweep into a bend.  Lovely.

I just prefer a manual.

I actually had a mk2 Fabia VRS for 4 days, but then got a bit bored of it and traded it.

But I do understand some people like to play with the paddles and just go quickly.

There is no denying that for a 1.4 small car it is quite rapid.

But I think people sometimes confuse speed and fun.

Quite often the faster car isn't more fun because it has do certain things to achieve the speed, such as a swift changing DSG box which removes the driver's ability to compromise it.

I've had just as much fun on track in my Yeti as I have in my GT-R.  Because you have to drive the knackers off the former and the latter is too easy to go quickly.

A car you have to work more can be more fun, more of the time within the speed limit too.

Well that's my take anyway. :)

• Like 1