Front end damage repair costs or write off?

Hit a deer a few days ago. Car goes to the insurer tomorrow or Tuesday.

Just wondered what the view on the cost of repair would be or if it's a likely uneconomical repair write off.

I've spent £1,300 on the car this year so would prefer it to be repaired. Car is perfectly drivable and got me 340 miles from Scotland yesterday, 

SKODA OCTAVIA ELEGANCE TDI PD. Octavia II. Sept 2005. 102,000miles. Silver. Good condition generally

Estimated damage is: Bonnet and grill etc. Bumper. Number Plate, Both headlights. Air con radiator. Possibly radiator behind air con (inter-cooler?), main radiator is probably ok. Maybe some other structural bits to hold bumper etc.

Can supply photo's of general damage if it helps.

Many thanks for any advice/opinions re repair costs/value etc and dealing with insurance company.

Andy

Edited by Discusb

Remember, it's up to you where it gets repaired if it's not written off.

You don't have to use the place that quotes cheap to the insurance company and is therefore their "approved" repairer.

If you know somewhere you trust that is VAT registered you can use them.

I'd estimate off the top of my head that a 2005 TDI Elegance Octy is worth maybe £3,000 or so.

It's not going to take much to write that off.

To be honest I can't see anyone repairing the damage you state for under £1,500.

When my Citigo Elegance got a light shunt up the rear (no lights or tailgate damage) including the VAT it was £2,200.

Thanks Richard. I wouldn't mind if I hadn't spent so much on it this year. Also if I had to buy a new one I'd have to get a tow bar fitted.

I've attached some picture's for more information.

Regards

Andy

post-47099-0-78959700-1388955290_thumb.jpg

post-47099-0-64962100-1388955311_thumb.jpg

post-47099-0-61936400-1388955333_thumb.jpg

After spending £1,300 on a £3K car recently I'd want to make sure I got it back.

As above there is every chance it'll be written-off and you'll never see it again, especially using an insurance-approved repairer. I had a new rear door on my Superb the other month and that was £1,400 just for a door skin and paint.

On a car of this value I'd be tempted to leave the insurers out of the picture. There are plenty of scrapped MkII's around allowing you to source the bits yourself cheaply and have a local bodyshop do the repair. You may even be lucky and find someone breaking a silver one.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Sad times.

I really think you'll be lucky to avoid a write off.

While your car may be a nice one, the issue is it's value in the motor industry.

Price up the lights, grille, bumper, bonnet, air-con rad, extra bits and bobs, then add labour on and I can't see it being under £1,500 if I am honest which is probably about the write off cost for the vehicle.

As said above, you'd be better to get the parts from a breakers (bonus if silver) and get it done yourself on the cheap using second hand bits.

My wife had an accident in her old ford focus a couple of years ago and it needed only the front bumper and bonnet replaced plus a new number plate and then painting and the total cost was £1600 which the insurance paid out and we sold the car 7 months later for £1650 as it was 8 years old and I was surprised the insurance did not write the car off as it only cost £8000 when I bought it brand new.

Edited by themul

I would of just sourced the parts myself from a breakers yard, that does not look to bad to DIY repair. With the insurance, I would say write off as well. Cancel the insurance assesor and scour ebay for parts. They maybe the wrong colour, but it does not matter.

the bumper, although damaged does still look serviceable and not in urgent  need of replacement.

I'd get, slam panel, bonnet, crash bar, AC radiator as a start and then dismantle the broken bits from the car and see how it shapes up. Headlights maybe ok, perhaps the brackets are broken but there is a repair kit available (at least there are for Audi lights). You could most likely source all these bits for slightly more than your insurance excess.

Similar tale of "enthusiastic" repair prices and an expectation of the result you don't want.

I had headlamp and wing and a few brackets straightening + paint = £1000.  Bonnet, bumper, headlight, few brackets, maybe n/s wing? +paint = nearer two? 

Maybe we'll all be proved wrong. 

I didn't claim in the end, loss of NCB over the next 5 years, just not worth it.  Plus not dealing with insco's, priceless.

If considered write off, buy it back and fix it

Totally agree. Would say it will cost you max £800 to buy it back after its been written off (and you had had your value payout). You know the car and the history of money spent so win win for you. Looking at about £300 for parts (a little more if the aircon rad and intercooler have had it) if you shop well on ebay. I wouldnt bother with getting a different colour bonnet as cost of painting it just isnt worth it. Wait for a silver one as plenty about and pay maybe £40 more then  a random coloured one. Bumper could easily be repaired but same again when considering cost of repair and repaint. Gimme a PM if you need any little front end bits as have some stuff lying about after my rebuild or if u want any info. Also if the aircon rad is ok then dont disconnect it and will save you the re-gasing charge.

Looking at those photos i would repair it myself and avoid insurance company.Theres lots of Octavias breaking on  ebay and could be lucky to get Silver panels too as its a popular colour.

Good luck and hope all goes well :)