Sam's Mk2 Blue VRS Estate

mrburdon123

After a few months of browsing Briskoda and making a few posts, I've decided to put together a log of me n my VRS.

As the Topic states, its a 2011 CAVE Race Blue VRS Estate.

I've owned it now since September 2013. The cars done around 23k miles of which 6k with me (one previous owner before me). 

The fabia is the first "expensive" car iv owned. previous cars have been (in order):

Corsa 1.2  L reg 5 door

Corsa 1.0  X reg 3 door

Rover 1.4 N reg 5 door (first car with a rev counter but what a shocking car)

Ibiza 1.2 53 reg 3 door

leon 1.9 56 reg 5 door

The only car I got on with was the Leon. I bought it as a high miler on the cheep (£2700 with 150k on otc but all the BAW) as a car that I could start playing with.

I learnt a lot about cars with the Leon as I faffed with most of it.

If it was up to me I would have kept the Leon but when this (below pic) happened on the way to the MotoGP at Silverstone, the Mrs said she could no longer trust the car so we had to get rid.

The night before the GP I fixed a small boost leak and took the car out for a drive and it was driving perfectly for the first time since owning it.

DSC_0148_zps3zl7ijnb.jpg

The hydraulic tappet decided it needed a hole adding to it.

Rang a garage for a fix returning with a quote of £1457 - replacement for water pump, cambelt, crankshaft, tappets, seals, carrier stretch bolts and labour.

Decided that I was going to have a bash at doing it myself. Managed to do it for £47 which was the cost of a new set of tappets from Ebay and reuse everything else (the car is still running today which still surprises me)

Very happy that I didn't get a garage to fix it as I only got £1500 p/x when getting the Fabia!

So 2 days after repairing the Leon, we went on the search for a new motor. As we had just got a dog, often biking at Cannok Chase and Camping weekends, the Mrs decided we needed an estate.

First place we went was Available Car CD. This was were I spotted the Fabia VRS, which in all honesty, I had never noticed before.

Took it for a test drive and was loving the poke and the new car newness and the looks. The Mrs also loved it because she thought that as it was sporty, I wouldnt be out the in garage tinkering with it. ;)

3 days later, and the Fabia was mine.

(first pic of the car on the first night)

mms_20130912_zpsji9kcr6z-1.jpg

• Like 1

First time in the Fabia and the first problem dripped on me.

Rolling down the windows just outside the forecourt and was annoyed to find the water on the roof drips all down the door cards and over the electric window switch. Being a smoker, this for me would become a real PITA. So first thing on order from flee bay was wind deflectors from Heko.

Here they are fitted

DSC_0179_zps3c75395a.jpg

This stopped the water coming in and I think look great.

• Like 1

I also, had sat nav head unit fitted in the Leon which happily fitted straight into the Fabia.

It was £249 from Ebay and allowed for phone Bluetooth music and calls. SD card etc. I cannot say how useful touch screen sat nav units are. Phone connects on its own and no wires or suction holders are needed.

Stereo fitted is an Erisin 7"

DSC_0245_zps6p4xypjn.jpg

DSC_0264_zpsrtya5bq3-1.jpg

Unfortunately, no postcode search feature.

With it being an auto, I thought It should be even more boaty so added an arm rest.

Not an OEM one, and don't think it fits as securely as the OEM one would but its so relaxed when cruising.

DSC_0261_zps247c8c0d.jpg

I may one day replace it with an OEM rest but at 130 odd quid its a lot for what it is.

Edited by mrburdon123

Next mod to the car was the addition of a HID kit.

I started off with H7 5000K but thought that it looked to blue with the DRLs and far too showey. Fitted now are 4300k and imo are perfect. look cool and light up more of the road than either the OEM bulbs or the 5000k HIDs.

I never got a picture with the 5000k bulbs but will get a pic tonight of the ones iv got fitted now.

• Like 2

Decided to try and make it a bit 'meaner' by adding a fly eyes kit to it. Took it off after a few days coz it looked tacky imo on a car like this.

DSC_0277_zpsb851b443.jpg

IMG_20131011_125159_zps552003f0.jpg

Done the same to my front and rear lights and removed the tints after 5 days...Unfortuntely all money I spent went to the bin...

Very nice looking car...!!!

• Like 1

After, a few months of owning the VRS, the road noise started to really pee me off so had a go at sound proofing the car. I have a thread on here showing what I did.

Since then I have done a bit more, lined the roof, new foam on the floor pan but its more than quiet enough now and not a drag when on a long drive.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/289809-skoda-fabia-mk2-vrs-soundproofing-guide/?hl=sound

I also had the tyres changed from the standard Dunlops to Pirelli P ZN which didn't make it any quieter but far better to drive. Will be changing tyre makes again to see what others are like. maybe the vredestein ultracs?

• Like 2

Next was a 'whim' mod. Forge BOV adapter. Still got it but took it of the car after about a week. Didn't mind the noise but the way the VRS operates the BOV, it would woosh like mad on the motorway until you either blipped the throttle or took the foot off the gas. It was also a PITA to fit the adapter as it pushed the BOV unit into the CCV pipe.

Probly the best things iv had to shift with any car is a 5m double set of roofing ladders.

I had to make a last minute.com roof rack and end up with this.

DSC_0295_zps66ae7458.jpg

DSC_0294_zpsd0649651.jpg

Here are the ladders on the car but it was dark and only had time to get the phone out.

People faces where a picture when they saw me coming down the road in rush hour traffic with theses things strapped to the roof.

DSC_0292_zps0npnwjtk.jpg

The ladders hung way past the end off the bonnet and about 2 meters behind the car.

• Like 1

And as can be seen above Iv fitted Puddle lights in the same manner as shown on a thread here.

The LEDs are from Osram who posted them to me in 5 days and where wanting me to send them pictures of what id used the LED for. Great company to do service with.

There not actually blue but bright white and do a really good job of eliminating the whole sides of the car. This is of particular value for me as I park in a busy car park with little room either side of the car so when opening the doors I can see how far I have to open it. These are linked to the main interior.

Again ill try and get some clearer pictures up tonight.

While I was fitting these puddle lights, I decided to upgraded all the internal lights to LEDS and also add foot well lights to the front. IMO it looks cracking.

I also want to wine in an LED to light up the cup holder area under the stereo as I can never find things in the dark. Not sure how to go about doing that yet as I want it to be on all the when the lights are on and not just when the interior lights are switched on but not to be so bright its dazzling.

DSC_0289_zpsc29a8a96.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The front bumper looks very good works very well with the race blue

Thanks!

Have itchy fingers with the horrible weather so have to find something to do.

Flappy paddle extenders. Work Ok, do make finding em a bit easier but only keeping them on because they look good IMO.

IMG_20140202_230736_zpsvdesyijm.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks!

Have itchy fingers with the horrible weather so have to find something to do.

Flappy paddle extenders. Work Ok, do make finding em a bit easier but only keeping them on because they look good IMO.

IMG_20140202_230736_zpsvdesyijm.JPG

I have those, I really rate them, mine stuck on very solid with the supplied high end 3m Tape and for me really improved the finger reach/ease of access to the paddles.  They make me feel more in control and more inclined to used manual.

The main problem I found with them is when using the windscreen wash, the stalk hits the paddle. The wheel needs to be dead straight for it to miss it.

On a better note, eibach springs ordered!

The Mrs was not pleased when I told her as we're saving up for our wedding. I just had to remind her how much she pays in gym membership a month! We're equal now lol

• Like 1

The main problem I found with them is when using the windscreen wash, the stalk hits the paddle. The wheel needs to be dead straight for it to miss it.

On a better note, eibach springs ordered!

The Mrs was not pleased when I told her as we're saving up for our wedding. I just had to remind her how much she pays in gym membership a month! We're equal now lol

I have the same problem with my Mrs...Never happy when I order something for my car even tho I never complain about her clothes and shoe collection...and obviusly the money she spent on it...!!