vRS real MPG

My ex-demonstrator has done a total of 5k miles, of which I've done only the last 500. Overall since new the data says it's given just over 33 mpg, and I've had exactly the same out of it since I took it on. I do very little M-way stuff, nor would it have done during its life as a demonstrator. I drive at least one gear lower than the nasty Advisory tells me, so reckon with others here that in typical usage you need to think in terms of low to mid 30s. No doubt with a light foot and good eco style folk can manage much more.

Just to provide some perspective (hopefully), I'm waiting for my Octy vRS hatch TFSi but at the moment driving a Megane RS250 - and long term average in that is ~34mpg and at the moment (winter tyres, flooded/**** roads) I'm pushing 36...

I've ordered the Octy on the promise of that 45mpg out of a petrol, I drive like a (pretty quick) nun 90% of the time but want the performance for the rare occasions the red mist descends ;)

You will probably get that on a run down a motorway, not in everyday use. So if you want 45 mpg then you'd need to change it to a TDi rather than a TSi.

The only way that you might get 45 mpg from a TSi, is with a DSG-7 or DSG-8 gearbox or manual box.

You will probably get that on a run down a motorway, not in everyday use. So if you want 45 mpg then you'd need to change it to a TDi rather than a TSi.

The only way that you might get 45 mpg from a TSi, is with a DSG-7 or DSG-8 gearbox or manual box.

There is no way you will get 45 from a vRS TSI - I get 26 - 28, I drive it spiritedly. Driving in eco all the way with the air-con, radio, headlights, etc, off - You might get 36.

I was lucky to get 45 out of my 1.6 TDI Octavia on mainly high speed roads.

My Sprint Yellow Estate has now clocked up just over 800 miles and constantly says I'm only getting 22.5 to the gallon and when I fill it to the brim with unleaded my range indicator says 280 mile. Its all mostly stop start commute journeys and nearly always in eco mode so I'm not too happy with economy of the TSI but I'm stuck with it now for three years so I guess I'll just have to get on with it

The trip one and if it offers you other options reset them to zero too. That way it'll have to do its calculations from scratch.

I always zero everything that way I get the correct information per tank full, I also enter it into my phone's fuel log.

So far with my vrs im getting 26mpg around the doors on 6 to 8 mile runs and on a run I find its better at 70mph for fuel and it returns 44mpg. Looking at some of the reports on the diesel versions I would be disappointed in that, My zetec s Mondeo with a rolling road remap returned 46mpg around the doors and 68 on a run around the 70 to 80 mph mark even at 100mph on a private road of course it never dropped below 50.

No I've mollycoddled it from new. How do you explain then why my range indicator says I'm only going to get 280 miles on a full tank ??

I believe the expected range doesn't reset when you re-fill, it will probably still judge the range depending on your driving style, so if your doing a lot of town driving, the new range on a fill up is the range it expects in town driving, not for instance a motorway run? 

• Like 1

Average commute and local 36 mpg. Recent 220 round trip 39 mpg at an average speed of 59 mph, mainly motorway

Best so far 41.5 mpg.

Hope that helps.

All done so far on 95 RON.

I will be doing a short term test with  a couple of tanks of 97/98 RON during February 2014.

Car mileage currently 4400 -95 % in Normal mode & 5% in Sport mode, too clear out the system of cobwebs.

At 100 km/h (62 mph) I'm getting 6.2 l/100km (45.5 mpg). At 140 km/h (87 mph) I'm getting 8.2 l/100km (34.4 mpg). I'm driving now in Individual with everything in Normal, except the xenons and ACC in Sport, with ~1100 miles on the clock.

What you need to look out for with the TSI is avoiding short trips (this is true for any engine basically). I'm getting extremely high consumption figures with 2-3 mile trips (bit of an unusual situation with no proper alternatives for me) at around 15-20 l/100km (14-18 mpg). If my trips would be at least 5-6 miles long, then my consumption would be around 11-13 l/100km (21-25 mpg). This is in city heavy rush hour traffic with plenty of stop lights, so basically the worst of the worst case scenario. You'd be hard pressed to get any lower mpg on this engine. But I knew this beforehand, so I was OK with choosing the TSI.

On open motorway or two lane roads I'm averaging around 8-9 l/100km (31-35 mpg). And I'm no slouch behind the wheel...  :giggle:

PS: It's called the TSI now. The TFSI are the older generation engines.

PPS: I love this engine!

Edited by TudorM
  • Like 3

It's funny how much the driver influences fuel consumption. As I had to hand my company car back last November both my wife and I are sharing her Megane DCI 130 until the VRS TSI arrives. On similar trips she gets 30mpg whilst I average closer to 40mpg. I think the difference is due to me coasting a lot more and changing up sooner. I also tend to look at the consumption figures whilst driving, hence deliberately feathering the throttle rather than mashing it into the ground at 40mph within 5th/6th. Most people can achieve better fuel economy if they try.

Sure, engine sizw, fuel type, weight and where you drive have the most influence on mpg, but right and left feet can also make a huge difference. I am hoping for mid to late twenties around town and mid to late thirties on the motorway. If I average low to mid 30's I''ll be happy.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

So far the only disappointment with the Mk 3 has been the fuel consumption. 

My Mk2 FL was regularly averaging 33mpg unless I really had the foot down.  And that with the air con runnning full time.  Last summer my morning 35 mile commute in motorway traffic would regularly see 42mpg.  Those figures represented at least a 3mpg improvement over my 2006 Mk2.

So far over 2500 miles the Mk 3 is only averaging 30mpg with no better than 37mpg on the morning commute.  And I've turned the air con off but it is winter!

Both my last vRS improved the consumption with the miles on the clock.  I'm just hoping that this one does too.

So far the only disappointment with the Mk 3 has been the fuel consumption. 

My Mk2 FL was regularly averaging 33mpg unless I really had the foot down.  And that with the air con runnning full time.  Last summer my morning 35 mile commute in motorway traffic would regularly see 42mpg.  Those figures represented at least a 3mpg improvement over my 2006 Mk2.

So far over 2500 miles the Mk 3 is only averaging 30mpg with no better than 37mpg on the morning commute.  And I've turned the air con off but it is winter!

Both my last vRS improved the consumption with the miles on the clock.  I'm just hoping that this one does too.

I have to agree with the disappointing figures.  As you say, I'm sure it'll get better with mileage but in my case, I've no doubt it will still be worse than the car it replaced despite the big increase in stated mpg according to manufacturers specs.  Oops, and I told the wife that getting a new, efficient car would save us fuel. 

• Like 1

It's funny how much the driver influences fuel consumption. As I had to hand my company car back last November both my wife and I are sharing her Megane DCI 130 until the VRS TSI arrives. On similar trips she gets 30mpg whilst I average closer to 40mpg. I think the difference is due to me coasting a lot more and changing up sooner. I also tend to look at the consumption figures whilst driving, hence deliberately feathering the throttle rather than mashing it into the ground at 40mph within 5th/6th. Most people can achieve better fuel economy if they try.

Sure, engine sizw, fuel type, weight and where you drive have the most influence on mpg, but right and left feet can also make a huge difference. I am hoping for mid to late twenties around town and mid to late thirties on the motorway. If I average low to mid 30's I''ll be happy.

Also, believe or not your footware.Light weight shoes make a marked difference

Thanks for all the replies, initially it was to get ammunition for justifying a TSI vRS. However I know have the diesel available with such a generous discount it is hard going on impossible to ignore.

Cheers all, 

2500 miles in and my figures are as follows

Around town mixed with duel carriageway - 26mpg

Motorway driving - 35mpg

Far worse than I had expected but I think the wife's heavy right foot has something to do with it

Lewjo (Joseph)

• Like 1