vRS real MPG

Hello! 

Can anyone who has the new TFSI vRS tell me what they are getting in the way of realtime MPG? I'm seeing they are claiming 45 but how close to this could I actually get commuting on main roads and dual carrage ways? 

I really don't want a diesel (its a personnal thing) but I can't really justify the additional cost if the car really only runs at 25-30. 

Cheers,

Ali

Edited by alis

Depends on how you drive it - I bought mine more as a toy - didn't really need a car, could cycle to work and SWMBO has a car.. so I drive it spiritedly in Normal mode. and am getting 25-30. on very short, slow speed runs (less than 3 miles to work never above 30 MPH - Honest :giggle: ).

I suppose you could get 35+ in Eco mode on dual carriageways.  But where's the fun in that?

I've done about 2000 miles and my average is 45mpg.

The car's mpg counter is surprisingly accurate.

Your tag say's Tdi?  not Tsi?

Average commute and local 36 mpg. Recent 220 round trip 39 mpg at an average speed of 59 mph, mainly motorway

Best so far 41.5 mpg.

Hope that helps.

Depends on how you drive it - I bought mine more as a toy - didn't really need a car, could cycle to work and SWMBO has a car.. so I drive it spiritedly in Normal mode. and am getting 25-30. on very short, slow speed runs (less than 3 miles to work never above 30 MPH - Honest :giggle: ).

I suppose you could get 35+ in Eco mode on dual carriageways.  But where's the fun in that?

Your right there is no fun in economy (or diesel) but I dont own an oil company so will have to give it some consideration for our "family car".

Guest Cossiecol

Since the title of the thread didn't mention petrol or diesel, I'm just wondering what the real world MPG is for the diesel?

The real world efficiency of the petrol I would have thought will be nothing like 45mpg for all but the minority that hardly ever extract the performance from the car.

Id say you'd be doing well to get low to mid 30's out of one in mixed driving, suggestion on fuelly, the best performing TSi on there has averaged 29mpg across 4 fill-ups which IMO isnt great. I reckon a flogged car would see teens mpg.

Undoubtedly the petrol is the car to choose to best suit the vRS moniker but for most people the diesel (whilst far from hot hatch quick) offers a decent enough turn of pace and can be driven extracting the majority of its performance and still return mpg well in the 40's. Wont be as fun though.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 2

Just returned 40mpg on an motorway run from Birmingham to Loughborough at 70mph. Not too shabby.

Just to add, my average over some 4k is 36mpg and this is very much mixed driving. I never use the Eco setting nor am I easy on the right foot. I don't think this is too bad considering the performance available: a significant improvement on my MarkII

Edited by TonyD
  • Like 1

45mog on a diesel and it is a DSG so no clutch work. Note his tag.

Mine, manual TdI 4000 miles, lot of single carriageway, winding and hilly roads. Overall mpg 49.7

Edited by fireftrm
  • Like 1

Have you considered the 1.4tsi or 2.0tdi, both surprisingly pokey motors and you'll get better mpg especially in the 2.0tdi. Plus from posters comments on other threads the vrs tdi and 2.0 tdi aren't hugely different.

Obviously if its vrs you want please ignore the above.

Have you considered the 1.4tsi or 2.0tdi, both surprisingly pokey motors and you'll get better mpg especially in the 2.0tdi. Plus from posters comments on other threads the vrs tdi and 2.0 tdi aren't hugely different.

Obviously if its vrs you want please ignore the above.

If you want a vRS you want a vRS but I cannot emphasise the above point enough.

The 1.4 TSi and 2.0 TDi 150 cars there or there abouts have the same power to weight ratios as a Mk2 vRS TDi; they weigh well over 100kgs less so despite the power disadvantage there is little or nothing in it performance wise.

Ive traded my 2013 Blackline DSG estate for a 2.0 TDi 150 on the back of a test drive in a boggo SE spec car; was expecting disappointment but other than perhaps a reduction in cornering adhesion when pushing on it drove better and was without doubt punchier and quicker real world regardless of its power and torque output disadvantage.

The new 150 TDi engine really is a revelation, would expect the same of the 184 but the vRS TDi is a similar weight to the Mk2 so the diffence in performance (from an approx 10hp/tonne power to weight advantage) really is not that marked.

The 1.4 TSi is an immense little engine, though due to being as expensive as the TDi to PCP and a fear that in the real world it might not see anything like the 54-56mpg quoted combined figures stuck with the TDi.

The torsion beam rear end really wont make huge differences to how it drives on the road unless you drive beyond the realms of what is safe;also the regular cars do ahve a bit of sleeper appeal....nothing special to look at bit enough get up and go to surprise some lower end warm hatches if it took your fancy.

Going by delivery estimates for the vRS you'll end up with a regular car sooner. Ordered mine mid December, already assigned build week 4 and all being well will have it for 1st March which is quick for a Skoda factory order....perhaps ive just gotten lucky or am in for a bad surprise though who knows!

• Like 2

If we combine the results on Fuelly, 2013 petrol VRS' returns about 25mpg and diesel 36mpg. The problem with these figures is that most submissions are based upon single digit fill-ups, so the cars are new and owners are still in test pilot mode. The novelty of redlining it wears off after a few months.

Just to add, my average over some 4k is 36mpg and this is very much mixed driving. I never use the Eco setting nor am I easy on the right foot. I don't think this is too bad considering the performance available: a significant improvement on my MarkII

That's promising, a bit of education with the missus and maybe I can get her to top a number like that towards 40 - she's driving miss daisy. 

If you want a vRS you want a vRS but I cannot emphasise the above point enough.

The 1.4 TSi and 2.0 TDi 150 cars there or there abouts have the same power to weight ratios as a Mk2 vRS TDi; they weigh well over 100kgs less so despite the power disadvantage there is little or nothing in it performance wise.

Ive traded my 2013 Blackline DSG estate for a 2.0 TDi 150 on the back of a test drive in a boggo SE spec car; was expecting disappointment but other than perhaps a reduction in cornering adhesion when pushing on it drove better and was without doubt punchier and quicker real world regardless of its power and torque output disadvantage.

The new 150 TDi engine really is a revelation, would expect the same of the 184 but the vRS TDi is a similar weight to the Mk2 so the diffence in performance (from an approx 10hp/tonne power to weight advantage) really is not that marked.

The 1.4 TSi is an immense little engine, though due to being as expensive as the TDi to PCP and a fear that in the real world it might not see anything like the 54-56mpg quoted combined figures stuck with the TDi.

The torsion beam rear end really wont make huge differences to how it drives on the road unless you drive beyond the realms of what is safe;also the regular cars do ahve a bit of sleeper appeal....nothing special to look at bit enough get up and go to surprise some lower end warm hatches if it took your fancy.

Going by delivery estimates for the vRS you'll end up with a regular car sooner. Ordered mine mid December, already assigned build week 4 and all being well will have it for 1st March which is quick for a Skoda factory order....perhaps ive just gotten lucky or am in for a bad surprise though who knows!

Accepted, I've not had first hand experience with the diesel vRS but my thoughts are if I go for that over the pertol for economic reasons then really I should just go for a 2.0TDI 150... I'm just needing enough proof to justify the petrol model!

If we combine the results on Fuelly, 2013 petrol VRS' returns about 25mpg and diesel 36mpg. The problem with these figures is that most submissions are based upon single digit fill-ups, so the cars are new and owners are still in test pilot mode. The novelty of redlining it wears off after a few months.

That's a very good point re novelty. I wonder what the average ownership is in comparison to more 'regular' cars, do they sell quicker once the novitly has worn off? I was the 18th owner of my Mk 2 golf GTi when it was 16year old. 

Cheers, 

Ali

You can deal with the suspension issues with a set of these (http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=133064) should you wish to have a little fun whilst, wearing your tyres a little faster.  Yes, I'm told the Mk7 golf and Mk3 Octavia share the same suspension setup hence, these will fit nicely.

The 1.4 TSI doesn't look great on the PCP & is worth about a grand less after 3 years but, it costs £1,800 less than the diesel in the first place so, remember to look past the headlines and get to the bottom line, plus the refinement of the 1.4 TSI especially in DSG is what sold it to me, I just couldn't hear the engine till I ragged in sport mod & semi-auto.

Regards

T

Just to provide some perspective (hopefully), I'm waiting for my Octy vRS hatch TFSi but at the moment driving a Megane RS250 - and long term average in that is ~34mpg and at the moment (winter tyres, flooded/**** roads) I'm pushing 36...

I've ordered the Octy on the promise of that 45mpg out of a petrol, I drive like a (pretty quick) nun 90% of the time but want the performance for the rare occasions the red mist descends ;)

• Like 1

Just to provide some perspective (hopefully), I'm waiting for my Octy vRS hatch TFSi but at the moment driving a Megane RS250 - and long term average in that is ~34mpg and at the moment (winter tyres, flooded/**** roads) I'm pushing 36...

I've ordered the Octy on the promise of that 45mpg out of a petrol, I drive like a (pretty quick) nun 90% of the time but want the performance for the rare occasions the red mist descends ;)

You'll be lucky to get that 36 let alone the 45! My diesel returned 43.6 in the first 500 miles of relatively careful driving with a mixture of journeys and conditions. I know they get better with age but I'm expecting nothing like the claimed figures.