What fuel are people using in theie vRS TSI- 95 OR 98 etc.

Well it seems unanimous for me now. Super is better.

80mile route on the M1 using Esso unleaded = 33mpg.

Same route using Esso Super = 38mpg.

This was after 5 fill ups of Esso Super unleaded in my vRS to rid regular out of the car. Adaptive cruise was used and set at 73mpg. M1 was quiet both times will little traffic.

Question is, is the price difference worth it? My local Esso garage charges:

Unleaded = £1.25

Super unleaded = £1.35

=£5 extra for my 50l tank

50 litres = 13.2 gallons

5mpg extra *13.2 gallons = 66miles extra range with Super Unleaded.

There are flaws in my maths but it's approx 15% extra range for 7% uplift in price.

Thanks for the feedback .

Hopefully I can verify your figures, with my own test ,having filled up my 1st tank of 98 RON this weekend.

Going for a 1 month period , approximately 1000 miles .

So will get back then.

Cheers Farsider,hope your motor is going well.

Well it seems unanimous for me now. Super is better.

80mile route on the M1 using Esso unleaded = 33mpg.

Same route using Esso Super = 38mpg.

This was after 5 fill ups of Esso Super unleaded in my vRS to rid regular out of the car. Adaptive cruise was used and set at 73mpg. M1 was quiet both times will little traffic.

Question is, is the price difference worth it? My local Esso garage charges:

Unleaded = £1.25

Super unleaded = £1.35

=£5 extra for my 50l tank

50 litres = 13.2 gallons

5mpg extra *13.2 gallons = 66miles extra range with Super Unleaded.

There are flaws in my maths but it's approx 15% extra range for 7% uplift in price.

Great work there, I gotta bet there's a performance difference too.

Regards

T

that is a clear difference farsider.  Has the car done enough miles to have loosened up though, or could the ongoing loosening have contributed to the improvement too?

Just went over 1000 miles today

12159498313_f86d288e75_c.jpg

Hopefully I can verify your figures, with my own test ,having filled up my 1st tank of 98 RON this weekend.

So will get back then.

Thanks Keith. I love the car in everyway. Hope you have a great time! Looking forward to seeing your findings too.

So, its 12% further for 7% more cost, other than a small error (F it, we're all human & most of the time in a rush) its still worth it.

Still a very worthy exercise, true I'll be doing the same when my albeit smaller petrol engine arrives, 2 tanks run in on 95 Ron, 2 tanks on 99 Ron, then fit the DTUK tuning box, then **** the fuel effiency by driving it, like I stole it.

Regards

T

• Like 1

Farsider, have you not got a Tesco's near you, I've got one on my way to work.

Two things, Tesco's sell 99 Ron fuel and my local Tesco's only has a 5p increase in price over 95 Ron unleaded or only £2.50 more expensive per tankfull, ok, ok slightly less for the pedantic's amounst us, as you'll never get 50l in a fillup but, Every little helps.

Regards

T

That is a good price. I do have a Tescos about 6 miles away but it's out of the way so I'm sure the round trip would remove the value.

Will try it though to see if 99ron fuel adds even more fuel efficiency.

So will get back then.

Look forward to seeing your results

• Like 1

Its called information exchange, welcome to the 21st century, this is how it works, if you don't wanna give a little, you don't get back a lot.

But, I agree its not for everyone.

Regards

T

It's just that I don't want spam junk mail and anonymous sales phone calls etc.

You also don't know what they're doing with your personal information.

• Like 1

It's just that I don't want spam junk mail and anonymous sales phone calls etc.

You also don't know what they're doing with your personal information.

I hate to tell you this Wanderer but, if they want you info, they'll get it.  If a bunch of dumbass Americans can hack countries leaders phones, the likes of your and my personal info is easy pickings.  I'm a postman and I could tell you whom everyone of my 550 customers bank with, whos in trouble financially as well as whos playing around, info is everywhere for the taking and if a criminal takes a liking to yours yu had it.  Get with a good bank with a no quibble refund/new cards policy and just be vigilant with your finances, its the best you can do my friend.

Regards

T

BTW. Even if you don't want one, setup an account with every social media site, its the only way to stop someone else setting one up in your name and pretending to be you. Also secondary e-mail accounts are great.

Edited by themanwithnoaim

I don't want a ****ter or farcebook account.

They cause too much trouble and as someone who nearly lost his job thanks to some ass posting stuff on the Web in a style similar to mine and they never believe me even when stuff appeared when I was being interviewed.

Just went over 1000 miles today

12159498313_f86d288e75_c.jpg

Thanks Keith. I love the car in everyway. Hope you have a great time! Looking forward to seeing your findings too.

Question: How did you manage to test a tank of unleaded and fill up five times with super but hit just 1000 miles in the process?

33mpg (unleaded) vs 38mpg (super) appears to be far too large a difference for the same motorway cruise cycle. Higher RON should only really make a noticeable difference if the engine is retarding the ignition due to knock, but this is extremely unlikely during cruising at ~2.5K rpm. Could it just be that your 33mpg reading was taken when the car was brand new and not at all worn-in, and possibly aided by the need to see what the car could do under bursts of acceleration? 5mpg difference is just too wide.

Indeed, 5 fills up weren't full tanks....just 5 top ups using Super from anywhere between 25%-75% full.

I agree that all of this is an inexact science. I just attempted to create some constant variables as best I could. These included:

Same journey

Same time of day (ie quiet)

A quiet time of day allows for a constant-ish speed

Adaptive cruise was used to maintain that constant

These is as scientific as I'm willing to go - just a casual exercise.

My (flawed in certain areas) approach does appear to demonstrate a cost saving using Super Unleaded if driven "normally" but I agree that all things are not equal here.

If your methodology was scientific enough, it would of course be shotdown in flames as not a real world test so, I don't think your gonna stop the knockers but, who would want to ? especially not if you are in a strip joint.

Regards

T

Edited by themanwithnoaim

The only exact science is manufactures testing and quoted figures, but we all know how accurate they are within the real-world:).

Any test mpg figures that people give here are probably FAR more realistic, but of course far less scientific. Cars driven by different people will return far different results, even given similar journeys and speeds. Fact is that the same journeys traveled by the same person using the same fuel can give far different results, dependent upon the mood of the driver at the time. I have returned anywhere between mid-40's to late 50's driving exactly the route, the only difference being that I was feeling more or less stressed after a day at work.

It would be interesting if Farsider attempted another standard unleaded run, now that his VRS has bedded in a little, and now that the car is not new and asking for the loud pedal to be tested.

Edited by Orville

I'll give it another go on the same journey with Sans Plumb when I get a chance. I only do about 300 miles a month at the moment so it'll take a bit of time to get the Super unleaded out.

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed my first tank of 98 RON.

Indicated 342 miles completed with 50 miles left ,so indicated 392 for tank(?)

Re-filled( top of neck) with 45.49 litres  of Sainsbury's Super Unleaded , so calculated  consumption at 34.5 mpg.

Mileage covered mainly in the last two weeks, at average speed approx. 33 mph on local A and B, minimal motorway mileage in this period.

General overview : No real noticeable change in consumption level or for that matter any degree of improved engine smoothness or sharper delivery of power in all running modes. 

So currently the only unknown to me, is whether the engine is running internally cleaner and as a consequence better longevity expectations.

Now progressing with 2nd tank of Super Unleaded, with some longer motorway mileage planned and hence a better measured comparison with my previous mixed driving experience.  This having returned approx. 36.5 mpg.

Hope that this is helpful .

Keith.

PS. CAR NOW COVERED 5300, LOVE IT TO BITS -SMOOTH, YET QUICK AND A FUN COMFORTABLE DRIVE.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just filled up again with Sainsbury's Super Unleaded (98RON)

Can't believe this ,regarding the consistency. 34.2 mpg. (within 1%) pretty good me thinks.

However , this was still local motoring on mainly A &B roads- work commute and local shopping trip.

Will venture on to M4 this weekend ,with a trip of 200 miles plus, so hopefully more representative. 

This will be using my 3rd tank full of higher octane fuel.

My gut experience, is  that there may be a slight improvement in ummph but not  much and that overall economy is not changed or indeed could be 5% worse .(see above last report)

Will see after this weekend.

So initial conclusion, is that the engine may be running cleaner and hence improved longevity, but if you change your car, at say 3-4 YEARS (PCP ends) THEN YOUR POCKET /BANK ACCOUNT IS LIGHTER. So the only persons too benefit will be the up coming owners.