vRS standard seat damage

Hi,

Just a question regarding my seats, now the car is just 3 months old. I already have a pull in the rear seat which is to be covered under warranty however currently been waiting 8 weeks for a new seat cover to come.

Today iv noticed on the drivers seat that the "leather" is flaking off, now my major concern is that whats the seat going to be like in 2 years time?

Do I take it to the dealer or get it sorted myself?

Sorry the photo not brilliant and the damage not massive:

Posted Image

Thanks

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is synthetic leather ,so does this have totally different wear characteristics to the Natural product.

Is it a scuffing near the side seam, adjacent to the main part of the back?

• Like 1

Guest Cossiecol

If the dealer will sort it then take it there.

There's no harm in asking, they may say its natural wear...however I would question this as you've not had the car for long.

Ill pop in tomorrow I think cause got a list for them, as radio keep turning off and wont come back on until car is turned off and keys removed

If the dealer will sort it then take it there.

There's no harm in asking, they may say its natural wear...

If they say it's natural wear I would get in writing that it is natural wear and it won't affect the final value of the car when handing it back (if you do after the finance period) etc otherwise you might find them saying the complete opposite in 3 years time.

• Like 2

Could it be from clothing with studs or similar on them.

Still whatever , it's not good enough.

I wonder if similar happens on Non Leather seats.

If they say it's natural wear I would get in writing that it is natural wear and it won't affect the final value of the car when handing it back (if you do after the finance period) etc otherwise you might find them saying the complete opposite in 3 years time.

Yes i will, thankyou, i don't think 3 months and 4000miles is sufficient

Thats the thing i am very careful since my corsa having half fleather a a few years ago and wearing. And my seat is far back (i sit like a gangster) so not my jeans dont catch it

Robfab

Just to make you feel better (or worse) mine has done exactly the same in the same place??  I'm positive I haven,t scuffed it while getting in and out either. Car is same spec white vrs tdi delivered september tho it has the full "leather" seats 

Its at dealers next week for a sticky right maxidot switch on steering wheel so will see what they say about the seat?

• Like 2

Robfab

Just to make you feel better (or worse) mine has done exactly the same in the same place?? I'm positive I haven,t scuffed it while getting in and out either. Car is same spec white vrs tdi delivered september tho it has the full "leather" seats

Its at dealers next week for a sticky right maxidot switch on steering wheel so will see what they say about the seat?

In a way I'm glad it has if you know what I mean cause at least we both can go back saying we know of others have done it.

Heres my list:

- Pull in rear seat

- Front seat flaking

- Rattle from sunglasses compartment/ sound actuator

- Radio keeps turning off and not been able to turn back on until car turned off and key taken out

- drivers headlight wobbles over bumps

Going in tomorrow will report back.

Rob

Crikey, considering you said your new car was way ahead of your mkII in terms of quality, and you've got the list of faults above plus the oil leak at the start, your mkII must have been some shed!

Saying that though, the wear on the leather seat bolster is not uncommon. Look at other cars with leather/leatherette and you'll see wear, creases, sagging and stretching. That's why there's companies out there that repair that kind of wear.

I would be extremely surprised if the dealer were to replace that FOC. It's like going to them complaining your tyres and/or brakes need replacing when the car's been driven enthusiastically. Wear and tear, they'd say.

If its less than 6months old,you should get it done under warranty,as wear items such as brake disc/pads and tyres and bulbs are covered for 6months,let us know how you get on,as this can affect a lot of other cars

If they didn't replace it after such a short time I think they would be on a hiding to nothing.

We all know things will get worn over time BUT no way should a seat be wearing that easily (unless it's getting used for deliveries and you're out the car every 2 minutes) and as such the material is obviously not fit for purpose.

We got a few Mercedes sprinter based motors at work as we aren't careful getting in and out and they have fake leather/vinyl stuff and they haven't worn at all - after constant 24/7 use and 80000 odd miles in 9 months.

If its less than 6months old,you should get it done under warranty,as wear items such as brake disc/pads and tyres and bulbs are covered for 6months,let us know how you get on,as this can affect a lot of other cars

Where does it say this? Are you literally saying you could drive like a hooligan and take your less-than-six-month-old car to the odd track day and rag the life out of it, knowing that Skoda will happily replace the tyres and brakes? I think not!

The mk3 is way ahead of the mk2, iv said on a number of occasions the seats are rubbish, also my mk2 was a basic vrs so for equipment wise the mk3 is better. I still much prefer the mk3 however as it gets older if the faults keep coming.

This will be my last škoda.

As for the oil leak, it was a crushed washer so I don't see how that can be compared with the mk2, but i suppose for the clever people on here i shouldnt expect any less :).

Rob, you are right to be hacked off about that seat, it is definitely unacceptable to have that wear in such a short time. I hope you get the other bits sorted and enjoy your car mate.

Hi,

It is a bit annoying, however the dealer are great so will see. Ill be open minded about the wear and we'll see what they say. They know about the sound actuator rattle which iv narrowed down to the sunglasses holder unit, but was waiting until the car goes in for a new rear seat which is on back order. But think ill let it go in twice.

Thanks

Rob

Spoke to service manager who is spot on.

Car going in friday for the following:

- Radio - thinks may need updating

- Sound Actuator rattling the trim (some how)

- Drivers headlight shaking - not sure on a solution for that as doesn't do it all the time so may be just how it is

- headlight washes - going to try turn them off but also going to adjust the motor so it sits back in the bumper (only happened once though)

As for the seats, he says they will replace however no idea when the new seat cover will come so thats on going, he said it shouldn't wear that fast though.

Rob

• Like 1

Rob,

I don't think you'll be able to turn the washers off as they're legally required due to having xenon lights.

I had a quick look at my seat and after nearly 3500 miles of use it shows no signs of wear at all.

And that includes getting in and out with my uniform (big stiff belt with radio clip etc).

• Like 1

Rob,

I don't think you'll be able to turn the washers off as they're legally required due to having xenon lights.

I had a quick look at my seat and after nearly 3500 miles of use it shows no signs of wear at all.

And that includes getting in and out with my uniform (big stiff belt with radio clip etc).

Do you know why they are legal requirement for xenon? I did wonder earlier and meant to ask but forgot. They use all my screenwash haha.

Yes its strange as seems way too soon especially compared to my old one that lasted 18,000miles that I had it.

Rob

I've no idea, you need to ask whoever made it law!

Joking aside I believe it's due to having mucky lenses causing bad glare for on coming traffic as the lights are brighter than halogen ones.

• Like 3