columbus sat nav issues...

Nicki85

My year and a bit old Yeti's Columbus sat nav system has stopped working :(

When I turn it on it asks for the navigation disc... which I don't have... I can't get into the media section or phone section...

I tried to insert a random music cd to see what would happen and now it won't eject it. 

Any ideas?  I'm taking it back to the dealer later this week but they are clueless as ever so I'd like to go with a bit of knowledge lol!  During the phone discussion they weren't sure if it needed a disk or an SD card and they thought I should already have one... they also said I can purchase a new disk if needed which I don't want to do as I never had one in the first place.  So far I've read the warranty and it says accessories are covered if fitted before delivery, which it was, so I guess that is something. 

Would be useful to know if I need a disk or a SD Card and if you usually get one with the car when you purchase it? 

Thanks all in advance :)

I didn't get anything with my May'13 L&K, so would also be interested to hear from others as to whether I should have.

I find this reassuring lol.  If it helps my mum bought her Yeti with Columbus system last year (brand new) and didn't receive a disk either.  But it was from the same dealership as mine so wondered if it was a dealership issue...

The chap I spoke to today was clueless which has me some what worried for taking it in later this week!!

Assuming the process is still the same as it was in April 2010, you should have got the maps installtion disc when you bought the car, AFTER the dealer had used it to set up the system. Back then, the SD slot was for your use, not for loading the program.

It's worth having alook at the ICE section on this site to see if there have been any recent changes to what the dealer is supposed to do.

My Columbus sytem has locked up twice now, with none of the controls working. I did a quick reset by removing the fuse (under-bonnet fusebox adjacent to battery)  & putting it back in after 30 seconds. Hey presto, problem solved! It's worth trying that first before your dealer gets his hands on it, nothing ventured, nothing gained etc!

The map installation disks are no longer provided, since the maps now come preloaded from the factory and the dealer no longer needs to do this at PDI.

OP, it sounds like the internal HDD has failed and a dealer visit will be needed to replace the Columbus.

Try rebooting it as a first step.

Allow Columbus to start fully (about 20-30 seconds). Press <, > and i at the same time. Screen will go blank, Columbus will restart and (hopefully) you'll be OK.

Try rebooting it as a first step.

Allow Columbus to start fully (about 20-30 seconds). Press <, > and i at the same time. Screen will go blank, Columbus will restart and (hopefully) you'll be OK.

I tried this and it still doesn't work :( I'm worried about convincing them that they never gave me the disk in the first place..

I tried this and it still doesn't work :( I'm worried about convincing them that they never gave me the disk in the first place..

See Mannyo's post #6 about "no disc" first!

• Like 1

See Mannyo's post #6 about "no disc" first!

Unfortunately I'm not sure the dealership are aware that's how it works though. They were adamant I should have a disc somewhere and if I didn't have one that I'd need to buy one! But then they also weren't sure if I'd need a disk or an sd card...

Thank you for all the help so far, at least I know why I don't have a disk!

I've had two Columbi in two TIBETs and never seen a disc so I don't think you should have had one. 

Allams have updated the Columbus if an update was available when the Yeti(s) was in for servicing - or me for coffee...

Will it play music that you have put on the hard drive?

If it does then the drive is working but somethings amiss with the navigation partition.

If your dealer is saying he hasn't got a disk to reload it then possibly try a friendly VW or Seat dealer as I'm pretty sure it's all the same disk.

The fact it won't eject a CD isn't good though.

Just to update this... it went to the garage today (awaiting to see if they cleaned it for me as well cause it was horrible ;)  ) and it's broke.  So, they are ordering a new radio which will be in next week.  No real reason just an internal failure or something.  They've also ordered a new navigation disk on back order what ever that means... got a bit confused here as I thought they came with maps pre-installed.

I did ask whether there was a chance it could be upgraded to the DAB radio but the chappy had no idea really and wasn't interested in discussing it.  Nor was he interested in discussing the navigation disk. 

Same old service lol.

....I did ask whether there was a chance it could be upgraded to the DAB radio but the chappy had no idea really and wasn't interested in discussing it.  Nor was he interested in discussing the navigation disk. 

Same old service lol.

You're not going to tell us who?

City Skoda in Basingstoke!!

When I bought the car they told me it would take an hour to get it ready and finish the paper work.  It took about 3hrs... because they hadn't cleaned it or sorted out the paperwork before I arrived.  They forgot to charge me for the initial purchase price as well... so rang up a couple of days later and had to do it over the phone.  The car wasn't pristine clean which you expect when purchasing a new car.... and all in all the service was sooooo poor... considering the amount of money I'd spent.

It then went into be serviced late last year, was told it would take an hour so took a book and waited.  Well, they had an emergency staff meeting so I was there again for near on 3hrs... waiting... and waiting....again customer service rubbish!  I was also told to bring the car in any time on a certain day within opening hours... I had a phone call early on in the day it was due to go in for servicing asking where the car was so had to rearrange...

Lastly, this experience... When I rang up initially the chap said to come in, no need for an appointment, so they could see it.  I turned up and was promptly told they couldn't do anything with out an appointment... the chap was really (really really) narky going on about how expensive the units are so they have to get approval from Skoda to replace under warranty  (yup, I know I bought one!) and that it would take ages for me to get my disk in the unit back (something to look forward to!) .  I mentioned maybe he should let his staff know not to just tell customers to come in but the response was it was too difficult if as I didn't have the name of the person I was talking too... I mentioned a notice on a notice board might help :)

And then today, no real explanation, didn't really want to talk about the problem.... anyhow i'll ask the same questions when I go to pick it up later!

Hi Nicki85.

I would say you need to speak to their General Manager. Give him/her a chance to comment, then contact Skoda UK.

The service you have had is not acceptable.

• Like 2

They forgot to charge me for the initial purchase price as well... so rang up a couple of days later and had to do it over the phone.  

Are you saying that they let you take delivery without paying anything, or the incorrect amount. If  wrong amount, and considering your experiences, I am surprised you rang them to pay the balance.

Also, how can a main dealer (or any dealer come to that), not have a car prepared and pristine for handover.

Most strange!

It was a part exchange so they took the old car but forgot to charge me for the remaining balance. 

They rang me a few days later I suspect after looking at their accounts! They still got it a bit wrong but as it was in my favour I did not complain!

Apparently the sales person was on holiday the day before and had asked a colleague to get the car ready but he'd got the wrong car ready (head-desk!).

I also have my suspicions that the narky chap I spoke to last time is the general manager!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm thought i'd update on this.

I contacted Skoda UK who (I thought to start with anyhow) were very helpful.  They confirmed that a disk was not needed as the maps would be installed on the hard drive.  They also discussed the columbus replacement as I had specifically asked if it would be DAB, or not (with the view of updating it (depending on cost) if it was not DAB) with City Skoda.  I was assured that the new unit would have DAB.

Well, low and behold today the system has been replaced and it does not have DAB!!  It is a newer model but no DAB option, just AM or FM.  And, get this… City Skoda had ordered my disk for the maps which hadn't arrived.  Then an hour after getting home I get another phone call- they got it wrong!  They need to install the maps/ software from their master disk!!  But, instead of taking it back in (I live a way away) a chap is going to drop in on his way home and install the software on so that's something.

I've gone back to Skoda UK to see why I was misinformed about not getting a replacement system with DAB.  I also said i'd be interested in updating it (and paying the associated costs) if it wasn't going to be replaced with a DAB system so annoyed about that as obviously now it's been replaced with a non-DAB compatible system.  Feeling a bit frustrated with the whole thing, I like the columbus system and the only thing it's missing is DAB which I know is available now- there really was a simple solution but it seems so complicated.

I'll let you know how I get on with Skoda Uk…. 

There is more to a DAB Columbus than just the headunit, you need a totally different and separate aerial. I am surprised they advised you the replacement would have DAB, since I would expect the opposite.

• Like 1