Oops!

Somehow the bloody chrome surround survived! there goes my plan to upgrade to the black pack!

Absolutely gutted.

I have a good experience with Plastidip for  the chrome surround and cheaper as a whole chrome frame

See Plastidip at youtube select the Fonzie movies

Edited by blokart

The grills on the mark 2 are pretty cheap - I had a side grill stolen (!) and it was only £3 +pp for a enw one, they are fairly brittle.

The bumpers (again I have mk2) are wonderful, I was reversed into by a bloke in a warrior with a tow bar and completly mashed my bumper, licence plate in two halves.   The chap at the repair house said he was full and would I be wanting it insurence or cash - I said cash,  he trollied under the car game it a single whump with his hand and the entire thing sprung out - only the tiniest of marks above the licence plate to show there was even an issue - which has since been repaired the same way you would a stone chip.  Full marks for bumper and paintwork resilience.  Chap said no cash needed, but if I had a real prang to come back to him and if he saw me in a pub would expect a pint.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Gluck.

Thanks for the kind comments all.

Took the car for a quick visit to Skoda this morning. From what they could see they estimated between £1-1.5k. That's not taking into consideration anything hidden that's also damaged. So through the insurance it'll go unfortunately.

On a side note it's been booked into Fix Auto in Cardiff on Whittal Road who are VW approved; spoken to my dealer who confirmed this would not invalidate any warranties etc. So just have to wait for it to go in and the repairs to be carried out.

Guest Cossiecol

That seems really high for a 5 mph shunt, have you bent anything else on the bumper?

Maybe worth taking it to a separate dealer/garage/bodywork shop for a second opinion.

Bumper is gone, lower grill, possible headlight damage (bracketry) possible intercooler damage and anything that could be bent. Add to that skoda labour and paint then I could see where they were coming from. To be honest it's going to easier and faster to just get the insurance to deal with it.

I wrote off an MX-5 at a similar speed.  It depends on what you hit and the height of it; this was a 44 tonne lorry and the rubber buffer on the back was just the right height to roll up my bonnet.  Not a scratch on the lorry, obviously!

I paid £600 with 3 NCD, it looks like it'll go up to about £900 with this claim come renewal time.

Ouch! It's a shame SUK didn't give you what they promised in their brochures, front assist! I guess you'll be better off paying rather than claiming? It makes a mockery of the insurance industry. I feel for you amigo.

Ouch! It's a shame SUK didn't give you what they promised in their brochures, front assist!

Front assist has never been standard on the vRS nor has the brochure said it has.....  :think: 

Had FA been added to the car would it have made a difference to the outcome?

FA would have either avoided the accident or caused a bigger repair bill.

I personally think it would have avoided the incident.

Rather than link to Skoda here is a link to Euro Ncap about Skoda FA, http://www.euroncap.com/rewards/skoda_front_assist.aspx

But this is all theory, these crumple zones should be renamed cash zones.