SD card - whats the maximum size?

I'm sure I read in the manual for our Admundsen that a 128gb sdxc (?) can be used.

Maybe its the same for the Bolero.

Btw we've got a 32gb card and have put 6,241 songs on it. Haven't even reached halfway through our music collection yet. I think the car will be changed before we get to the end of the music already installed. Lol.

You'll need an SDXC card for capacities above 32GB.

The 128GB SDXC cards don't really make much financial sense at the moment either (£70-£150 spec dependant), buy 2x 64GB SDXC if you must have that amount of music within the car :)

• Like 1

I'm waiting for my car so can some one tell me - is there a "random" option when playing music from SD cards?

I don't know if the new system is different or not, but in my MK2 you need to place one song outside of the folders (if you use a folder structure) and then you can have random play.

The Bolero's in both my old 2010 FL Octavia and 2009 Yeti would only deal with up to 32 Gb SDHC cards. The Amundsen+ in my current Yeti (2012) will only read the full capacity of an SDXC card, once it is formatted as FAT32, rather than the cards native file format (exFAT).

The first Bolero I encountered in a 2008 pre FL Octavia would read up to a 32Gb SDHC card, but re-indexed the card every time time it was switched on/off, leading to very slow operation. This was cured by a firmware flash by my local main dealer.

The newer Bolero / Amundsen, as fitted to the MkIII Octavia, may well offer different compatibility and therefore maximum card size.

As for Random play - all the Amundsen+ / Bolero's I have encountered, barring the one in the 2008 pre FL Octavia, managed this fine and didn't require a special file structure (a single MP3 outside the other folders).

The Mk3 headunits have better compatibility, and hopefully better file management and data efficiency!

I believe these units will support 128GB SDXC cards. Possibly bigger, once they arrive!

Nope, it doesn't make any difference.

The old problem with shuffle still exists.

I can just about fit my music collection on a 32gb card and the system won't do a truly random shuffle like my ipod or my phone can.

I have therefore dropped the idea of using an sd card and just use the bluetooth streaming function and use the music player on the phone. Easier and less faffing about.