Columbus & the latest firmware

Is anyone running 4120 or 5xxx firmware on a 3T0...A Columbus?

I believe this is a Revision C unit, but I can't find a definitive answer as to whether either if these will work or not.

If you are, which version and where did you download it from?

I have this link to GPS Underground at present: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/volkswagen-seat-skoda/20308-all-available-firmware-rns510.html

Yes, as it happens, I am. I installed it two days ago and I`m sure I got it from mygti. I used the link in the excellent tutorial on this very forum. I`m sure you know the one I mean but in the meantime I`ll try and find it.

It installed without issues for me and has given me radio text, as promised, even though its not very good. The only other difference I can find is that now even though I select to show petrol stations and speed cams in my V9 7920 maps they do not appear. Don`t know why that should happen as in my previous 38** or 39** (can`t remember) they appeared as they should.

EDIT    I`ve found the link its here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/298284-guide-upgrading-columbus-firmware-and-maps/ and I`m 99% certain I used the rnsfirmware link in that thread after following the instructions to the letter. I even dug out an old ide drive from the loft as my new sata drives wouldn`t let me drop below 8x write speed and went and bought some Verbatim dvd+r discs

Thanks ashfan.

So a7788 has updated 3T0...A to 4120, but no mention of any issues with POI's.

You've updated your Columbus (please confirm it's a 3T0...A) to 4120 but do have issues.

Camberley_Chris has a 3T0...E unit and is now running 5270.

So 50:50 on the 4120 firmware and slim on the 5xxx firmware.

Yes mine is definitely 3T0.......A. I posted in another thread somewhere here the exact same details as a7788 that are on the sticker on my Columbus. At the time I had 27** as per a7788. I managed to put 38** or 39** on it, not too sure which and now 4120.

The POI problem is the only thing so far that I can find wrong but I've not had much time to have a play

I found the details on my sticker they are

HW H42

SW 2742

3TO 035 680A

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

I too am on 4120 with a HW: 3T0 035 680 E.

All was excellent under v.9 maps but since u/d to v.10 (8048) I'm having issue loading POI's (another story).

I was about to ask if 5238 or even 5269 works on the HW: 3T0 035 680 E.

Thanks. I'm trying to establish the latest firmware is that works with 3T0...A units. It's that borderline might / might not work at the moment.

I've seen reports that 5238 does work with 3T0...E and upgrades them to K units.

It was on GPS Underground I think.

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

Thanks KBPhoto, that's useful.  Sorry I couldn't help with your exact query.

I don't suppose you have a link to that GPS?

If not, I'll just search but a time saver would be handy.

Cheers.

PS -

Just been searching... Seems 5238 is mainly aimed at DAB. Mine's not, so is there any benefit to the u/d?

Edited by ProfesorDeBuceo

I've seen reference to 4120 not being advisable for the very old revision A units, but I think I recall Andy(vee) saying he was successful with 4120 on a rev B Columbus and I was talking to someone (can't recall who now) who has done the same with his older unit (not rev A), so Kb you should be ok with 4120 on your newer rev C (is it?) Columbus.

On the issue of v10 maps, does it work differently with POIs to v9 then?

Thanks

Adam

No thanks John.

I'm trying to see whether my early (HW wise) 'A' / Revision 'C' unit will take any firmware that gives radio text.

Not bothered whether that is 4xxx or 5xxx.

I'm now downloading this version of 4120 to try.

There is a comment below the download from someone who has the same HW version as mine (3T0...A HW06) and there was a pretty definitive 'Yes you can' to the same question.

Wish me luck.

Or do I go for the Factory Origin 4120 firmware from GPS Underground?

I'm still not sure there is a 5xxx firmware that I can use... Although I hear rumour of a 53xx firmware modified by Josi for older units. Just a rumour though as I have no link.

To see if I could get my POIs showing with 4120 and V9 7920 maps I reinstalled 7918 which gave me my POIs and then 7920 but alas I still don't have any POIs showing.

I think I'll go back if I can to 4020. I'd rather have POIs than the radio text as I think it's a pretty poor implementation of it. For example, I put radio 2 on and it told me I was listening to The Rolling Stones when in fact I was listening to something completely different.

I've just remembered that there should be a male voice for navigation. I couldn't find that anywhere, not that I'm bothered as I prefer a female voice anyway.

Is putting an older firmware back a simple case of inserting the disc?