New tech and engines for Fabia3.

Those toyota iq's are tiny though. Supermarket trolley type thing.

Why would anybody buy a rebadged one for £32,000, for its doors to get smashed in like every other car in the carpark.

Maybe if they designed a massively awesome hot hatch theyd sell more?!

Everyone should drive an iQ at least once, and make that the 1.0,  3 cylinder Multidrive. (CVT)  Revs like a M/Cycle engine.

Full sized car in the front with more space than in a Fabia, and as much as in an Octavia.

Super handling, The nearest you will ever get to an Original Mini but better, and quicker and with proper brakes,

drives like a full size car on the motorway and a turning circle like you would not believe.

*One downsize when parking is how wide it is in parking spaces and the room you need to get the door open.*

I would buy a used Cygnet due to the finish and cheap price you can get them,

But have not because they are the 4 cylinder 1.3,  which is not as much fun as a 1.0. 

what about the diesel option, bit confusing there

The two diesels will be a pair of 1.4-litre units, with 74bhp and 89bhp. The 1.2-litre Bluemotion model will no longer be offered in the UK, with the Bluemotion badge going on a 1.2-litre, three-cylinder unit that is due to join the range at the end of 2014. It is expected to average around 69mpg and emit 89g/km of CO2.

89g/km is the figure of the 1.2tdi in the fabia GLII? so what gives?

• Like 1

The fact it's an old tech oil burner is the reason for it being dropped, it's probably not cost effective to develop it further to meet tighter emissions regs.

All manufacturers are making smaller and lighter, some sub 1000cc, petrol engines now instead of dirtier, heavier Diesel engines.

The 1.2 diesel is hardly a goer so why would you want a diesel with more expensive fuel when you can get a petrol engine that's almost as efficient and cleaner and probably a bit quicker and definitely quieter.

One reason Diesel Engines are not to go for ever with Euro 6 Emissions is that Car Manufactures

will have as much money invested in Oil & Gas Companies as any other huge corporations.

Small diesels are being developed to power cars that are also going to run Electric Motors.

Just as petrols are.

Why Audi developed the Diesel Cars for the likes of Endurance Racing,

& Electric Harvesting in F1.

Diesel is a cheaper fuel to Refine, only Taxes make it more expensive to buy, 

it did not use to be in the days of Diesel Engines getting OIl & Filter changes at 3,000 miles, then we advanced to 6,000 then 12,000.

Diesel cars cost a bit more, diesel cost a bit less, insuring diesel cars cost less, and oil changes were more often.

VAG will have the choices through the different brands they own  to suit various price points, just as they usually do.

the 1.2tdi in the GLII is relatively new, only been out a couple of years, it is EU V compliant with the DPF, and just needs AD-Blue to clean up NOx to make it EU6 compliant I believe, the 89g/km  is the same as the GLII so it appears it may be the same

Having coming from a 1.6 HDI 110 Pug to a 105bhp petrol I would rather have a smaller lighter petrol than a 1.2 TDI.

I know that people won't agree with that as there's quite a few GLII owners on here but it's the way of the world.

I would never buy a small slow diesel just to get a few more mpg, but that's just me, so it would seem that's the view of the wider buying public, sales of small capacity diesels are down and sales of small turbo petrols are up.

Blame the lobbyists or whoever are shouting for tighter emissions and lighter weight but it looks like the future is downsized petrols, hybrids and electric motors rather than little diesel water pump engines.

• Like 2

The 1.2tdi in the current fabia is not physically compatible with MQB. MQB needs engines designed in a fixed configuration, exhaust at the rear, tilted back at 22 degrees, with standardised engine/gearbox mounts throughout the range. 

Octavia greenline III has just launched with a revised 110ps 1.6 diesel and is down to 85g/km. The fabia greenline III, when launched, will probably be < 79g/km with the same 1.6 engine.

Edited by xman

According to VW, the 1.2 diesel will not be available in the UK, the Bluemotion will be a 1.2 petrol.

If this is the case then the Fabia Greenline looks like it will get the same 1.2 petrol engine rather than the bigger and heavier 1.6 diesel from the Octavia.

Peugeot, Fiat, BMW/Mini and many others are developing small 3 cylinder petrol engines as they are lighter and produce torque figures closer to that of diesels, this makes them ideal for small to medium sized cars.

Larger diesels will always be available but only in larger models.

VW aren't going to offer the 1.6 diesel in the Polo, just a pair of 1.4s so this is likely to be carried over to the Fabia 3.

But the facelift Polo is just that, a facelift on the existing PQ25 platform. It therefore bears no resemblance to MQB. Fabia will be first, then probably Ibiza followed by Polo last on this new platform. There lots of talk about a new 1.5 litre diesel currently in development in VW.

Edited by xman

You're right about the platform and it's just a facelift but the engines will almost certainly be carried over having been tried and tested in the Polo

They're not going to develop new engines just for the Fabia, they'll inherit the smaller units that are going to be used in the Polo which should work even better on the newer, lighter platform on the Fabia 3.

The 1.6 diesel will be overkill in VAG's eyes in the Fabia when they've got all the smaller engines in the range to use. They'll probably still be used in the Rapid and above as these are marketed as larger models.

I think you can discount that as having no truth behind it.

Highly unlikely they will Face lift again an already facelifted facelift.

It is a vehicle to be in Production for at least 7 years, a new Type Approved vehicle,

& to have Euro 6 Emission engines even before the new requirements in September 2015 for pertol and diesel engines.

They have mentioned a different/longer wheel base and the Platform code 'NVQ', the shorter version of the MBQ

We will soon find out from the Horses mouths. 

It can not be long until we get Press Releases in Europe other than the leaks that VAG seem to give out in India first.

http://www.carwale.com/news/11938-third-generation-skoda-fabia-to-use-the-mqb-platform.html

(as i have been saying for the past 18 months this image has been kicking around, if a Mk3 Fabia actually looked like that,

i would be more than happy.)

It won't be the current platform or a facelift, that's for sure.

Skoda have been a little unclear as to what it will be, having said it is both MQB and not MQB. Worst case scenario is that it will be on the current Polo platform (which is newer than the current Fabia platform)

My guess is that it could be on a bigified version of the Citigo platform, I think this is the new 'small car platform' they refer to as NVQ which takes some of the newer engines e.t.c. but is not fully MQB.

It won't be the current platform or a facelift, that's for sure.

Skoda have been a little unclear as to what it will be, having said it is both MQB and not MQB. Worst case scenario is that it will be on the current Polo platform (which is newer than the current Fabia platform)

My guess is that it could be on a bigified version of the Citigo platform, I think this is the new 'small car platform' they refer to as NVQ which takes some of the newer engines e.t.c. but is not fully MQB.

I thought the Fabia II changed to PQ25 with the 2010 engine updates/facelift? It seems to imply that here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A0_platform#A04_.28PQ24.29

• Like 1

I think it changed as well as the wheelbase is different between the pre and facelift models.plus don't think the new engines currently in the fabia fitted the old front end which is why it got changed to be same as current polo. 

They did change it to the pq25 same as polo in 2010 when they did the facelift in 2010.

So quite possible that it could stay the same, and not be MQB then?

The Polo is only getting a facelift, and there's no way the Fabia will get a better platform before VW do.

Yeah could do.

But then where does the engine line up leave us? Did somebody say the engines arent compatible between the two platforms due to lean angle and exhaust manifold position?

So we'd perhaps have a new looking fabia with the current pq25 platform and engine layout, then perhaps in another 3 years we'll see that one being facelifted and maybe then it will have the mqb and latest engines?

Really does anyone care what the 'Platform is',  as long as they fit good Suspension Components to them.

Go around corners nicely, then get good brakes ect.

Lets hope if they fit Drum Brakes they are coated to not rust externally, in the first winter or before.

If Discs all round, ones that work well,

Doors that have seals that seal,  engines that keep water and oil in.

They just have to build a choice of nice reliable and economic cars, that go and stop and go around corners.

Good Service intervals and nice to look at and be inside.

Hardly Rocket science.

You might wonder why Skoda get it wrong quite so much.

You might think that VAG like to say how well Skoda are doing, while they have a laugh at their customers expense.

• Like 3

When the Fabia 3 was first announced, backed up by some artist impressions in Auto Express, it was stated that it would use a brand new platform that would then be used on new model Ibiza and Polo.

Its the next generation small hatch as they say.  Euro 6 emission up to the time Euro 7 comes in after 2020,

so low weight, so that they can have low emissions

Some will need to have Stop/Start.

Must have as standard ESP, must have DRLs. must have TPMS as that legislation is now all relevant for a new vehicle getting Type Approval.

The Chassis/Platform might well be ahead of the VW's present Platform, untill they are due to be redesigned for a 7 year production run or more.

Its how it happens usually.

I knew I had read it somewhere, it's good they're going to make the Fabia more youthful and embrace connectivity and technology.

Looking to forward to see what's coming with regards to the new Fabia, I'll have had my Monte about 2 years when the new one comes out so should be ready to trade in if all looks good.