My journey learning to ride a motorcycle. . .

XLBaconDoubleCheese

Quite a sensible bike though arent they.

Perhaps more of a crash risk on a gsxr 600 as far as statistics are concerned haha

Beemers are normally cheaper to insure that an equivalent jap bike because us old frats that buy them all get fully comp insurance so they are not as likely to get nicked by a couple of scroats in a white van then broken up for spares. I pteviously had Hondas but WHEN I get another bike the short list will be the r1200 variants...which one I don't know yet. R, RT, GS or the new RS due out this year will be the starting point.

Beemers are normally cheaper to insure that an equivalent jap bike because us old frats that buy them all get fully comp insurance so they are not as likely to get nicked by a couple of scroats in a white van then broken up for spares. I pteviously had Hondas but WHEN I get another bike the short list will be the r1200 variants...which one I don't know yet. R, RT, GS or the new RS due out this year will be the starting point.

Not sure its because you get fully comp. i just think its because sensible middle aged men ride em tbh.

I always have fully comp in my bikes too.

Big bmw's are actually stolen more than youd think.

My dads GS adventure was chained to his mates multistrada last year. Came back to it and scum had tried to take em but failed. The bikes were moved across the road. They twisted a pannier n broke a cover, but fortunately didnt manage to take it. Probably would have if it wasnt chained to another big bike.

The clocks are a big thing at the moment too. They come off far too easy (just a plastic clip) n are worth about £700. So the thieves are taking them.

Here's one:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-352933.html

Edit. Seems to ring a bell about them taking the back wheels too.

OMG nothings safe any more! Fortunatly I've still got my sold secure big thick chain and padlock..just about the only thing I still have left. Not even got a lid or gloves!

• Like 1

Just had an experiment on the insurance thing.

Put all values down at £10,000 to keep it fair.

Im 22. Riding 5 years. Fairly low risk postcode etc with 4 years no claims.

GSXR 1000 2014 - £2,000

R1200GSA 2014 - £1,000

VFR800 2014 - £800

Not bad goin is it. Sensible us vfr riders are ;). Haha

Just done a quote for me on my first bike Honda CG125 to see how much itd cost how. £112 cheapest but Mce second on the list at £228.

Thats exactly what i pay for my 2002 vfr800 VTEC now, with MCE.

Strange.

All quotes were fully comp with legal cover, 1 Yr NCD, "Refer" postcode:

I was quoted £182 for my Z750R but when I got to "checkout" to pay for it, it was £118. Don't know why but I was happy :D

My ZXR400 £111

Z750R £181

ER6N £131

Z1000SX £260

Speed or Street Tripple £172

Hyperstrada 821 £395

KTM 640 Duke £252

GSR750 £228

ZX6R 8PF £275

All quotes were fully comp with legal cover, 1 Yr NCD, "Refer" postcode:

I was quoted £182 for my Z750R but when I got to "checkout" to pay for it, it was £118. Don't know why but I was happy :D

My ZXR400 £111

Z750R £181

ER6N £131

Z1000SX £260

Speed or Street Tripple £172

Hyperstrada 821 £395

KTM 640 Duke £252

GSR750 £228

ZX6R 8PF £275

Not a bad list really that mate!

I need to get a few years on my age i think haha.

It doesnt bother me too much atm anyway. Im happy with the viffer n couldnt afford to buy a brand new bike just yet.

We're lucky that bikes arent like cars in a way. Bikes tend to be used as a hobby. So its not usual to find an immaculate 15 year old bike with about 15k miles on (my 2001 SV had 5k miles on when i bought it in 2012).

Try finding a car like that. Not easy is it aha

Just got my insurance renewal, and it's nearly cheaper to insure the bike than to tax it?? how does that work? for a car I can understand but a big bike?

I meant I can understand why the the insurance on a big car was less than the tax (due to the Co2) but the bike is stupid fast and easier to steal, so I thought a higher risk? but then I can remember my first insurance at 17 was £197 fully comp for a Cortina Savage.

Just got my insurance renewal, and it's nearly cheaper to insure the bike than to tax it?? how does that work? for a car I can understand but a big bike?

Simples...bikers represent very few voters so the government has repeatedly given them a carp deal on road tax for years despite the obvious advantages for the environment using a bike to commute. The bike is less to insure because you're old LOL plus the biggest risk an insurer faces is 3rd party claims especially injury related and as we all know bike vs car always ends in tears for the biker so bikers have relatively few 3rd party injury claims against them. Well that's what I reckon anyway. And I'm jealous even if you do have a trumpet....

Simples...bikers represent very few voters so the government has repeatedly given them a carp deal on road tax for years despite the obvious advantages for the environment using a bike to commute. The bike is less to insure because you're old LOL plus the biggest risk an insurer faces is 3rd party claims especially injury related and as we all know bike vs car always ends in tears for the biker so bikers have relatively few 3rd party injury claims against them. Well that's what I reckon anyway. And I'm jealous even if you do have a trumpet....

Actually. I looked into this and my bike produces much more co2 then my car. Although its not tested that way.

I don't doubt what you say regarding the actual emissions. The big thing at the moment is polution levels in cities caused by congestion. If taxation was less on bikes it would encourage more people to use them,reducing the number of cars making the same journey so relieving congestion and aiding traffic flow and bringing journey times for everyone down including for bikers themselves which would reduce overall pollution levels.

• Like 1

Why is my stomach doing cartwheels?

Why have I been up since silly o'clock?

Why am I going to post a pic of the widest grin ever later?

Coz I'm collecting the bike today!! :) :)

• Like 1

Why is my stomach doing cartwheels?

Why have I been up since silly o'clock?

Why am I going to post a pic of the widest grin ever later?

Coz I'm collecting the bike today!! :) :)

Woop! Look forward to seeing it!

I don't doubt what you say regarding the actual emissions. The big thing at the moment is polution levels in cities caused by congestion. If taxation was less on bikes it would encourage more people to use them,reducing the number of cars making the same journey so relieving congestion and aiding traffic flow and bringing journey times for everyone down including for bikers themselves which would reduce overall pollution levels.

True that!

To be fair, journeys on bikes are generally shorter so contribute less emissions per journey

Well not really lol.

I've got biker mates that dont even have a car, just use the bikes.

My dad rides around Europe once a year and a trip to holland too. He never does that in his car...

Its different for everybody i suppose.

I try to use the bike as much as possible in summer

To be fair, journeys on bikes are generally shorter so contribute less emissions per journey

BIke emissions are generally far dirtier than cars as most don't have catalytic converters and the wind resistance knackers the mpg too, if you compare like for like.  The mpg might slightly beat a car, but the car's emissions are cleaned up with the cat.

However, some bikes are mpg focussed and do decent mpg.

BIke emissions are generally far dirtier than cars as most don't have catalytic converters and the wind resistance knackers the mpg too, if you compare like for like. The mpg might slightly beat a car, but the car's emissions are cleaned up with the cat.

However, some bikes are mpg focussed and do decent mpg.

My HTP does far better on fuel than my VFR haha. VFR has got a cat too.

The SV used to do roughly the same as my car, that didnt have a cat but it was a smaller engine at a lower state of tune.

The joys of riding a bike outweigh the costs for me though.

Might have an SP1 or a Tuono next. They'll do some seriously **** MPG haha.

I get circa 35 mpg on the bike, better than my Octavia vRS by a bit, I'd be interested to see some emissions figures of the pair of them, my bike has a cat.

Vfr does about 35-40. Car does nearly 50 haha.

Emissions figures for bikes arent easy to come by :(. The only reason i found mine was because some group tested a few bikes.

http://www.righttoride.co.uk/virtuallibrary/technical/emmissionsbasedscheme070909.pdf

Not even sure what year it is on there. They changed abit depending on year, n i dno if its a vtec or not