Monte Carlo pulls to the left when driving.

HotRod

I drove SWMBO's Monte Carlo tonight and whilst driving in a straight line it pulled to the left, I pumped the tyres up to equal pressure on both left and right and took it back out and it still pulls to the left.

I was thinking she'd smacked a kerb or something in it, but she has denied it and if the tracking was out, would that pull to the side?

I just want to be fore-armed before she takes it into the tyre place tomorrow.  I don't want someone thinking he can get some extra dosh out of SWMBO (that's my job) for something that doesn't need doing.

I don't know - will have to check tomorrow - SWMBO is working tonight..

Thanks - will do tomorrow when I know it's a Dunlop.

If this is the case, is there any comeback from the dealers - it's a brand new car (4 month old)

Here is some bed time reading,

1 of several threads.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/291863-pulling-to-one-side

If they changed Dunlops or Continentals for Pirellis, that is not a certainty, 

it hides the poorly built and aligned car from the factory in some cases.

"They do not all do that",  just the ones they put off the Production line doing it,

and that no Technician at the PDI noticed or bothered about while taking it to fuel it up.

I'm not sure if the following can be confirmed, but it certainly needs to be explored in case where no amount of tyre swapping or re-tracking cures the problem.

From thread 'My Monte Carlo is pulling to the left HELP!' (page 7): -

jrw, on 18 Jan 2014 - 12:07, said:

I have since found out that this is a known issue on this platform throughout the VAG range and the problem is in fact to do with the rear axle being the incorrect one.  Apparently there is a LHD and RHD version and if the LHD is fitted this problem becomes apparent, more so depending on the tyres.  SUK will not admit this though, nor will they come up with a solution besides changing the tyres.
Edited by Big Sheep

If it's Dunlop tyres then it needs new ones

I took mine back after 6 months and got it sorted after some effort.

PM me if you want my reg number to quote them.

• Like 1

& what about all the cars that are running on Dunlops without Issues, and those that have had Pirelli fitted and still have issues.

I am still trying to find the left hand drive and right hand drive rear axles that apparently according to a Skoda Tech exsist.

• Like 1

If it's Dunlop tyres then it needs new ones

I took mine back after 6 months and got it sorted after some effort.

PM me if you want my reg number to quote them.

Yes they are Dunlops. Should I try switching left to right on the front or just call the dealers?

& what about all the cars that are running on Dunlops without Issues, and those that have had Pirelli fitted and still have issues.

I am still trying to find the left hand drive and right hand drive rear axles that apparently according to a Skoda Tech exsist.

maybe they just put up with it? The other half did for 6months. Car above has for 4 months.

Who has had pirelli tyres and it still pulls to the left? I saw one on a thread that was cured after alignment was done properly.

Yes they are Dunlops. Should I try switching left to right on the front or just call the dealers?

they're directional. Go to dealers forearmed! It's even been in auto express.

My Monte did this and had Dunlops, got the same old 17 inch wheels and low profile tyres story from the dealership. Then my vRS did this as well. Dealer was very poor and together with some other small problems with the car that they failed to resolve I decided to jump ship.

Personally I think the overall dealer experience has dropped over the years, when I had my Vrs mk1 which had a few problems but all were fixed swifty.

But yes your car should not do this, get it back!

You can not switch left to right on Dunlop Sport Maxx with Directional tyres.

Not just switching the tyre & wheel from one side to the other.

jrw,

i have seen several Monte Carlos that have had the tyres changed without it actually sorting the underlying problem

only hiding it.

& personally with Twinchargers i have worn out 6 Dunlop Sports Maxx on cars that do not pull left with them fitted,

because the cars are properly aligned.

I have also driven a bit now with Pirelli Zero Nero on my Twincharger,

they are just not to my liking,

set at the correct pressure they are a wooly tyre that can quite easily hide issues with a cars alignment.

If they have worked for you or anyone else then great, but some want their car running correctly even if they put other brands of tyres on,

not only disguising and underlying  Alignement and tracking problem with a tyre with a narrower tread on the road

and a taller & different construction of sidewall.

Let the dealers do all the wheel changing and checking the tracking as you do not want any comebacks (you done this and that so warranty void) mine has had 3 tracking checks all spot on now had new tyres still pulling going in again next week if not sorted then i am going to reject the car.

I wish there was more concrete information regarding cars that have been cured without changing tyres.

That is,what changes have been made to the suspension geometry of the car because "tracking" is just a simple adjustment,there must be more to it than that,so what about front camber and castor angles?

And any adjustments to the front suspension angles will be ineffective if,as George has pointed out,something is wrong at the back end so the rear axle is trying to steer the car !!!

There is definitely more to it that changing tyres.

Mines had the tyres changed at it did make it a little better but after half a dozen 4-wheel alignments (including an independant one I did) it still pulls left.

I am now being ignored by my dealer on Skoda UK as it's becoming too difficult for them to sort.

There is definitely more to it that changing tyres.

Mines had the tyres changed at it did make it a little better but after half a dozen 4-wheel alignments (including an independant one I did) it still pulls left.

I am now being ignored by my dealer on Skoda UK as it's becoming too difficult for them to sort.

If you are having problems with your dealer & SUK, try taking it up with Auto Express, they have already help on Monte owner with the pulling to the left issue.

It's SWMBO's Monte - she has it booked in tomorrow for a road test.

I get the feeling I should be going with her..  But after she's driven mine over the weekend, she noticed it more.

If you are having problems with your dealer & SUK, try taking it up with Auto Express, they have already help on Monte owner with the pulling to the left issue.

This is what I am planning on doing, I just keep putting it off and giving the dealer one last chance...

I wish there was more concrete information regarding cars that have been cured without changing tyres.

That is,what changes have been made to the suspension geometry of the car because "tracking" is just a simple adjustment,there must be more to it than that,so what about front camber and castor angles?

And any adjustments to the front suspension angles will be ineffective if,as George has pointed out,something is wrong at the back end so the rear axle is trying to steer the car !!!

I don't believe much is done on the alignment other than what would normally be done if you took it in yourself, ie set it to be as central as possible.

After several "normal" alignments and a new st of Pirelli tyres the dealer aligned the car with as much right bias as they could that was still within the Skoda tolerances.

Like the change to Pirelli tyres this has made a small change for the better but it is clearly something else on th car that is not right.

I keep mentioning that the steering wheel is not central when driving in a straight line but nobody seems to be looking at that.

I think I read on here that someone had theres fixed with a change to the steering.

For info I had the car aligned indepently on a Hunter machine and it made no difference. Attached are the before and after results of that alignment. Only the Toe was changed

post-6573-0-53208400-1391504753_thumb.jpg

post-6573-0-46928700-1391504764_thumb.jpg

Edited by marky
  • Like 1

Please check what pressures they have put her car at,  and let us know.  

I would be interested just what they are set at.

Did they adjust tracking, tyre pressures, road test and thats that.??

Be sure tonight that you are totally happy the steering wheel is totally straight and correctly in when on the flat driving the car forward and back,

& then try your test drive from then, and see.

On a road, a cambered road,  also straddling the white line,  

and importantly in the likes of an Overtake, where you would cross the white line and be on the other Camber.

cheers.

Also note that the problem is more obvious at speed. Test the car above 40mph, Preferably on a motorway at 70mph. Motorways are also, usually, flatter and smoother than other roads so the problem shown is more likely to be with the car not the road.

I am sure most of the time the mechanics are test driving the car by just pottling around the block on heavily cambered roads at 30mph.

Actually a Qualified Motor Mechanic, or even an Unqualified one might have more idea,

. and look for the reason for the unsafe behaviour of new cars.

But these looking at the cars are often VW/Skoda Trained Technicians, Fitters and even Master Technicians, that are so used to Skoda/VAG and their 

'thats good or near enough', & 'they all do that.'

Even the line of, 'The Lady that works in Receptions car, does the same.' 

george

• Like 1

This is what I am planning on doing, I just keep putting it off and giving the dealer one last chance...

If you have given them 3 or more chances to fix the problem without success and SUK have been involved, then its time to see if others can help you.  :wall:

Good luck  :thumbup: