getting at the fusebox Octavia 3

Hello folks, if Mr moderator thinks that this topic is in the wrong place then please move / remove it with my apologies,

I need to get to the fusebox in my Octavia estate, I read  the instructions in the handbook but can't see what the first step is, I appreciate that you have to pry something with a flat blade screwdriver but can't make out exactly what is shown in the picture, I have read the topic  in the forums but it is for a VW and does not seem to be the same as the Skoda fitting, any help would be appreciated, I am not a novice with spanners but my knowledge is more fitting to a car built pre- 1950 when cars were metal and screwed together, It may appear to be a silly question to the initiated but I m experienced in asking daft questions and never blush, so am looking forward to any help

Best regards to all

George

• Like 1

As macaaron has mentioned you need to have the side panel out for RHD verisions.  Then you can unclick a small plastic rod.  Then you will need to mainpulate the the glovebox past its end stops.  Then the real fun starts, as an unrealistic amount of heaving and pulling (particularly in this cold weather) to free the glovebox as it is clipped to the pivot of the hinge.

All in all not the sort of job that you want to be doing at the side of a road, late at night in the pooring rain, because your lights don't work anymore, especially if you have not had the glovebox out before and know the procedure.

• 6 months later...

Hi all and I can see this is an older thread but I cannot suss it out. I have removed the side panel and I can see a sort of "I" shaped plastic clip that appears to need turning before it will allow anything to be freed . I have tried turning, pushing and pulling but don't want to break it. What do I need to do? This appears to be an absolutely mad system and wonder what was wrong with the fuse box on the MK2 for them to want to change it :-(

Thanks for any advise, sorry for being dim but the user manual is very unclear how to do it too!

Hi all and I can see this is an older thread but I cannot suss it out. I have removed the side panel and I can see a sort of "I" shaped plastic clip that appears to need turning before it will allow anything to be freed . I have tried turning, pushing and pulling but don't want to break it. What do I need to do? This appears to be an absolutely mad system and wonder what was wrong with the fuse box on the MK2 for them to want to change it :-(

Thanks for any advise, sorry for being dim but the user manual is very unclear how to do it too!

No you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Once the side panel is off just put a screw driver under the plastic bar the 'screw'/I slot shape is connected to and push up. This then detaches the slow release mechanism of sorts from the car. You then need to give the thing a firm tug to then release the clamps on the hinge. Do one side at a time. Mine didn't need too much force.

The fun is getting it back in and then putting that damn bar back on without the thing spinning and popping out of the hole!

Edited by Schodoodles

• 1 year later...

Hi

I'm trying to get at the fuse for the 12V socket on the centre console. I believe, from the manual, that it's behind the driver's side storage compartment. I cannot understand the diagram or instructions in the user manual (Page 233). Here's a photo of my storage compartment that I can't seem to get behind. Any advice?

PS. Looking past the sides, it doesn't seem there are any fuses back there. Maybe they're attached to the back of the storage compartment?

Hi

I'm trying to get at the fuse for the 12V socket on the centre console. I believe, from the manual, that it's behind the driver's side storage compartment. I cannot understand the diagram or instructions in the user manual (Page 233). Here's a photo of my storage compartment that I can't seem to get behind. Any advice?

PS. Looking past the sides, it doesn't seem there are any fuses back there. Maybe they're attached to the back of the storage compartment?

Assuming your car is right hand drive then the fuses are behind the glovebox. See page 231 of the manual you linked to

I found this video helpful in clarifying the process:

Edited by timmys
  • Like 4

Thanks guys. I'll have a look later or tomorrow. What a job to replace a fuse. Seems silly to "hide" them away like that. Whoever thought that was a good idea??

The cynic in me says this is so they can charge little old ladies a pretty penny for what ought to be a user maintenance job.

As it so happens, I thought I better check the socket before going to such lengths. Turns out my multimeter shows a steady 12V supply in the socket.  :clap:

I guess the USB adaptor is what's at fault here. Maybe I blew it??  :peek:

• 1 year later...

Thanks TimmyS, very clear.
  Anyone know if the 2017 model is the same (the damper and the side panel?)
From appearances, the side panel seems not to extend upwards as far as this?

Also looking for a suitable fuse to double up on (for dashcam).
So far picked

45 Electrically adjustable seats  (not fitted)

or 

46 - 240v.

I'm finding the 'dual' fuse fitting on the dashcam positive hasn't room for
the fuse taken out? 

Do I have to go buy some slim ones?

I'm assuming the fuse taken out slips into the dashcam lead fitting ? Is that right?