Octavia vRS: noisy brakes when reversing - who suffers from it?

Hi Guys,

As some of you may have seen, my Jan 2005 registered Octavia vRS has a problem with noisy brakes. The problem is a very loud growning noise that occurs when using the brakes when reversing. And it is especially bad if there is more weight on the rear of the car - i.e. reversing down a slope. The problem seems to be with the rear brake setup.

The car has been back to the dealership 3 times now for this problem.

1st time - they cleaned out the brakes (I knew that would do nothing :rolleyes: )

2nd time - they replaced the nearside rear brake caliper (had one in stock)

3rd time - they replaced the driver side rear brake caliper (this part was on back order at the factory and took 3 months to be delivered :eek: )

... and the problem is still exactly the same 6 months into ownership.

I have had Skoda UK customer services involved for some time now and the next move is for the 'area technical manager' to get involved with the problem.

My question is - how many other people on here suffer with the same problem? I have a feeling that this issue is only occuring on late Octavia vRS's e.g. less than 12 months old. I am trying to develop a case for Skoda UK that there is a problem and get them to bring out a fix (like they did for the Fabia vRS similar problem).

Let me know.

Cheers

Wayne

My car did this too - especially around the 2500 mile mark. It has now gone past 6000 miles and it doesn't seem to be doing it as much anymore. Sometimes there is a slight squeaking noise but the low metallic groaning has gone :D

I think it is a common problem :(

By the way mine is a 2004 '54' plate... :)

I think this is actually a VAG wide problem but I've heard about this

I've been told a remedy could be to get a rubber damper kit which fits the rear brakes which this stops the noise, I have the same problem on my 51 plate VRS Octavia.

too.

Alternatively, that copper grease stuff on the back of the pads may cure it.

Hi Guys' date='

As some of you may have seen, my Jan 2005 registered Octavia vRS has a problem with noisy brakes. The problem is a very loud growning noise that occurs when using the brakes when reversing. And it is especially bad if there is more weight on the rear of the car - i.e. reversing down a slope. The problem seems to be with the rear brake setup.

The car has been back to the dealership 3 times now for this problem.

1st time - they cleaned out the brakes (I knew that would do nothing :rolleyes: )

2nd time - they replaced the nearside rear brake caliper (had one in stock)

3rd time - they replaced the driver side rear brake caliper (this part was on back order at the factory and took 3 months to be delivered :eek: )

... and the problem is still exactly the same 6 months into ownership.

I have had Skoda UK customer services involved for some time now and the next move is for the 'area technical manager' to get involved with the problem.

My question is - how many other people on here suffer with the same problem? I have a feeling that this issue is only occuring on late Octavia vRS's e.g. less than 12 months old. I am trying to develop a case for Skoda UK that there is a problem and get them to bring out a fix (like they did for the Fabia vRS similar problem).

Let me know.

Cheers

Wayne[/quote']

Check out this thread. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t32420-squeeling-brakes.html

I have this problem, It seems worst if washed day before or after a dewing morning.

I think its because the disc get that thin layer of water corrosion and the first few times of reversing to clear it up.

Hence in the summer hot dry not that noisy.

I have this problem' date=' It seems worst if washed day before or after a dewing morning.

I think its because the disc get that thin layer of water corrosion and the first few times of reversing to clear it up.

Hence in the summer hot dry not that noisy.[/quote']

Kitsch, I don't think you have this problem. The noise that we are all experiencing is regardless of whether the brakes have got damp. Mine are as bad in this weather as they have ever been. I know the noise that you are referring to but this is 100 times worse. It's so bad that some of us resort to using the handbrake to stop the car when moving backwards :eek:

That said, looking at the other thread it looks like a fix could be in the pipeline :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone missed my post in the other thread :thumbup:

Well customer services called me yesterday to say that the fix has a part number and is now available. So I've called the dealer and the car's booked in on the 20th Sept

According to the customer services girl the fix does not completely get rid of the noise but it is much quieter. Sounds good to me

• 2 weeks later...

I phoned three dealers in Central Scotland today, my local dealer who said they had contacted Skoda but no fix, the other one had never encountered the problem(p*sh), and the third had no one available to answer my query.

Phoned Skoda customer service and the girl spoke to tech department who suggested replacement handbrake links. She phoned my local garage with the part numbers and the car is booked in for next Saturday.

She did say it got rid of 90% of the noise, did not cure it completely.

Should bring it down to about 85dB!!!!!