Columbus for Dummies

Now, I know this has been covered in a hundred and one previous threads, but having read most of them, they all seem to fall into techspk very quickly and I got lost. So, for the sake of one new Superb owner without a clue, could someone please explain in simple terms how I can go about updating the Columbus sat nav?

- How do I find out which version (firmware/maps?) I currently have? (And if the answer is 'VCDS' can you please tell me what that is and how I can access it?!)

- How do I update the firmware to the latest / a more current version?

- How do I update the maps to the latest / a more current version?

- Would it just be easier to use my TomTom with Live traffic services???!

Thanks for your patience and for any information that might help! :-)

First step is to press and hold setup for several seconds, enter the version information screen, and report back the 4 digit map number and 4 digit sw number please.

To answer your last question: yes, it probably would.

But where's the fun in that?

As Adam says, if you can access the menu (there is a possibility that holding it down may only get as far as the 'radio' menu) then we can advise further from there.

Your second question has an official answer: go ask your dealer (VW or Skoda) but they may charge big bucks. There is also no point doing this until you've sorted the firmware as you may have to put the maps back after a firmware update.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Pressing setup just gives me FM/AM.

A dealer is kindly lending us a map update disc, but obviously we're going to have to update the firmware first.

What next? :-)

Well it sounds like its quite an old firmware if no secret menu is popping up, and the chances are it has never been updated.  Do you have 5 or 7 digit postcode searching?  Given the car is 2010, in all likelihood you can go up to 4120 at least, but to be sure, we need to know the part number.

To get the part number you can remove the unit and look at the sticker on the side of the box (remove trim and then its 4 torx screws and the unit slides out).  It is also accessible via VCDS which is a diagnostic tool that allows access to the control modules in the car and to read or adjust the parameters.  A local member may be able to help (see the map in the VCDS section).

Regards

Adam

I agree with Adam and would suggest a 4xxx firmware will be no issue but would suggest 4020 until we know exactly what part number your Columbus is.

I'd bet that it starts 3T0 and ends in A.

Well, for the time being, I can tell you that it only has 5 digit postcode searching, which resulted in us ending up down a cul de sac rather than outside the Skoda dealership when we went to pick up a disc with a more current version of the maps! (FOC, albeit v9, and we didn't even buy the car from them)

Well, for the time being, I can tell you that it only has 5 digit postcode searching, which resulted in us ending up down a cul de sac rather than outside the Skoda dealership when we went to pick up a disc with a more current version of the maps! (FOC, albeit v9, and we didn't even buy the car from them)

As you have a disc of maps I'd put that in and update them first. You might get 7-digit postcodes (but I doubt it).

If you don't, I'd go to 4020 firmware (this will wipe everything on your Columbus: music, POI's & maps).

Then run the map disc again to restore the default POI's as well. Then put your music back on.

The only thing you won't have with 4020 is radio text.

You must have a very friendly dealer to give you a map disc FOC...

We only bought the car on Tuesday so haven't put any music or POIs on yet anyway. Probably unlikely to. Radio text is no big loss - you don't miss what you've never had...

So, we need to update the firmware. How exactly do I go about that? I did say this would need to be Columbus for Dummies...!

Have you got the part number yet? If not its a bit of a gamble, but you can probably go straight to the 4120 for European units from here: www.rnsfirmware.com.

I still recommend getting the part number first but if you want to take the gamble, start by downloading the file and burning it to cd as slowly as possible. Burn it by creating a disc from the downloaded image using something like Imgburn, which is free software (Google Imgburn if you dont have it).

Adam

You won't get much simpler than this:

PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of 4020 that I know works (I used it on mine).

I will want it back when you are finished with it please.

I agree with Adam though. Knowing the part number will make us all happier knowing that we are suggesting the right firmware.

If we install 4020 is there any risk? I understand from the rns site that installing 4120 may damage the radio board if it is an older unit.

Will 4020 install the hidden menu which will then allow me to see which unit it is without having to take it out?

Do you know which I may need: 4020 for RNS510 or 4020 for HDD ratios 60/35/5?

Also, any idea how big the file is to d/l? We live in the back end of beyond, our internet speed is laugable and I'm using my iPad so can't tell.

Ta, muchly :-)

4120 will only damage the radio board in a revision A unit. It is unlikely you have one in a 2010 car as revision A units were made in 2008 and 2009, but worth checking. And even if you go to 4020 you need to use the right one dependent on the revision.

You are looking at around 700 mb which is a lot for a slow internet connection so KBs offer is a very kind one I'd say!

I would check the part number first, but my Columbus is also a 2010 unit from a Superb and is 3T0...A (which makes it a revision C) so I woudl expect yours to be at leas the same.

I am running 4020 without issue on this and am about to (fingers crossed) upgrade to 4120 as I would like radio text.

afternoon all,

I only have 5 digit postcode navigation from my Columbus, I don't know the serial number for the unit but the car was registered in July 2010 (I only get the FM menu when holding Setup, I'll take the unit out and check the model number shortly).

All I really want is 7 digit postcodes, does anyone know if that is that a map upgrade, a firmware upgrade, or both?

Cheers

May well need both as maps are usually wiped when installing firmware. That is unless you can find older firmware beginning 2xxx but newer than 2660 I believe.

FWs which do not format HDD do not necessarily wipe maps either. Burned FW 2 times lately (4024 -> 5238 -> 5269 mod) - maps remained intact. Have to note that both FWs were modified - might be the reason why no adaptation required and why maps remained inplace.

Edited by ste2000

The problem is moving from something less than 3xxx to 3xxx or higher. The firmwares repartition the drive from 2 to 3 partitions between those two versions.

From 2012, but perhaps worth me posting again:

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:28

I have an 09 Superb with the very early part number 3T0035680 (not even an A, B, C or D), running SW/FW 1164. After spending hours and hours on forums trying to work out how to upgrade the firmware and to what version, I just took the plunge and shoved in a 4204 disc which I had acquired.

One tense but happy hour later: a Columbus unit with 4204 firmware successfully loaded and all functions working. Another hour saw my V8 maps disc loaded. 7-digit post-coding here I come!

Message: even early units can be upgraded directly to 4204 without faff, shenanigans or trauma. 
  • Like 1

I don't know if this helps, My pre owned car did not have full postcode recognition my local dealer did a update for £45 pounds and will be checked when serviced if a update is required will be done for free. I don't need to know all the technical stuff to keep mine up to date. I have no knowledge of what the dealer did, it has full postcodes now is working fine.

Edited by mellyboy