Audi S1 BRIEF REVIEW in Autocar and Autoexpress today.

vrskeith

I have been following this thread over the months as I am interested in the S1.... basically looking for a new car, don't really need the space of the Octy anymore so looking at supermini class but it needed 5 doors, so some cars are counted out (i.e. ST etc). 

I had always in mind the new Fabia in vRS version however, we all know that ain't going to happen! Having driven the mk11 vRS when it was first released I was put off by the DSG, plus the general reviews for it weren't that favourable.. so always hoped the new one would meet my requirements. My daughter has the Monte and I like that even though the 1.6 tdi is a bit sluggish..

So when the S1 was brought out, this was sort of what I was after with a bit extra, albeit with a big price tag!

As its been mentioned its not really a surprise that its not selling well at the price, the same with the old polo GTI too was not a seller...? This sort of puts me off, not sure if its a good thing or not for the residuals??

Anyway, I am still totally undecided with what I'd like but waiting on the new Polo GTI to be released to look at... noticed that DTD has this listed already with £3K+ discount already... no prices on VW website though?

For me the new 2015 Face Lift A1 Sportback 5 door 1.8TFSI with DSG (S-tronic) ticks all the boxes

not needing or wanting part time AWD,

&  because i like the seating & interior in the A1 over that in the Polo.

So if they also sell poorly (like the few hundred A1 185ps Twinchargers that were sold new,

well First Registered to Dealers or Audi)

once launched, the Demonstrators might be a bit of a bargain when Audi Dealers have to say they 

can not drop the selling price,

*But we can maybe do something with your Trade In, 'Price to Change'.*

http://autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a1/89441/audi-a1-facelift-revealed

Edited by goneoffSKi

I dont see the 1.8 now on the Audi website for the facelift?

just 1.4 S Line

For me the new 2015 Face Lift A1 Sportback 5 door 1.8TFSI with DSG (S-tronic) ticks all the boxes

not needing or wanting part time AWD,

• 2 weeks later...

have to say the Audi S1 ticks every box for me part from two.  Price is the first one as the Fabia has been such hoon for me and quite possibly the last fast hatch i will be able to buy that was under 11k for an 11 month old example.  I mean seriously i paid 10800 for my little fab VRS from a man dealer, will that ever happen again, i don;t think so.

Second is the S1 not having DSG, Since driving a DSG car i can honestly say for my daily driver i will never ever have a non DSG car.  I love it so much.  Sure i have a manual for track but that's not for pottering to the shops etc.

But one thing i keep seeing but i have yet to see any figures for is the REVO figures from a remap, 320bhp for £500 in the Audi S1, with AWD thats madness, and there's no twin charger reliability issues there to cause issue.

Interested in the Polo R as that is opposed to have a DSG transmission,

Will they, wont they?  

Is there need to build & sell to the public when the price would be so near a Golf R ?

http://autoblog.com/2014/12/10/volkswagen-rules-out-polo-r-report

S1 sales have been poor in the first 6 months so not sure what they will need to do within VAG to boost this limited market.

Brings back memories of 1.4TSI Twincharger market- Fabia vRS , Seat Ibiza Cupra,Polo GTI and Audi A1 VERSION.

Skoda Fabia vRS took the bulk of the sales with 5 dr and Estate options giving better VFM PURCHASE.

VAG are confused, not really a clear plan in the product "Small HOT Hatch sector.

Very painful experience with warranty costs and reputation of Twincharger "Prize winning Powerplant"? bolted to the DSG

Edited by vrskeith

Current design of the various DSG availabile for power outputs and small hatches seems to be an issue for the Volkswagen Group.

?

Is it DSG size, weight, reliability in handling power that they are struggling with?

I have not really looked closely at why the 2015 Polo GTI 1.8tsi has been designed and is being produced with less power output with the DSG compared to the manual.

• Like 1

I agree George that MANUAL -DSG power / performance conundrum seemed strange to me .

Think I read an explanation somewhere but have forgotten the reasoning.

have to say the Audi S1 ticks every box for me part from two. Price is the first one as the Fabia has been such hoon for me and quite possibly the last fast hatch i will be able to buy that was under 11k for an 11 month old example. I mean seriously i paid 10800 for my little fab VRS from a man dealer, will that ever happen again, i don;t think so.

Second is the S1 not having DSG, Since driving a DSG car i can honestly say for my daily driver i will never ever have a non DSG car. I love it so much. Sure i have a manual for track but that's not for pottering to the shops etc.

But one thing i keep seeing but i have yet to see any figures for is the REVO figures from a remap, 320bhp for £500 in the Audi S1, with AWD thats madness, and there's no twin charger reliability issues there to cause issue.

Interested in the Polo R as that is opposed to have a DSG transmission,

VW have binned the Polo R :(

I agree George that MANUAL -DSG power / performance conundrum seemed strange to me .

Think I read an explanation somewhere but have forgotten the reasoning.

I think I read that the power was the same between auto and manual but the auto had the torque reduced to protect the gearbox?

• Like 1

Maybe not then haha.

Realistically though. 0.2 seconds isnt really anything is it lol.

For some it's EGO! it's that yours is bigger than mine syndrome.

Somebody on here will convert that to parts of a car length I feel sure-so watch this space!

• Like 1

For some it's EGO! it's that yours is bigger than mine syndrome.

Somebody on here will convert that to parts of a car length I feel sure-so watch this space!

Yeah you're probably right there haha.

I bet the dsg gives a much more consistent time though.

Getting a manual off the line as fast as possible is abit more down to the driver isnt it

• Like 2

So we get this A1 1.4 TSI - 148 bhp with 0-62 in 7.9sec.http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a1/89879/new-audi-a1-2015-facelift-review

S1 228 bhp with 0-62 in 5.7 sec.http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/s1/86891/new-audi-s1-review

So where will the A1 ( Polo GTI 189 bhp) sit,  not yet published, hence not competing  with The Polo GTI sales. Starting March 2015 spec and orders being taken now. 

Polo GTI 189bhp with 6.7 /6.9 sec. manual /DSG.http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/polo/89664/vw-polo-gti-2015-review

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/polo/89869/vw-polo-gti-dsg-review

Interesting price breaks also.

Edited by vrskeith

They have not announced the demise of the 'Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI' CTHE 180 ps DSG yet have they.?

Same performance as the newly announced 1.8TSI manual i believe, (or is it the DSG one!!)

but then they might just try to let its passing go un-noticed as they did with the Polo GTI & A1 185ps Twinchargers.

(never mention the poor sales of them, or any issues with reliability or Warranty issues, because VWG never have.)

http://hothatchstats.com

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

They have not announced the demise of the 'Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI' CTHE 180 ps DSG yet have they.?

Same performance as the newly announced 1.8TSI manual i believe, (or is it the DSG one!!)

but then they might just try to let its passing go un-noticed as they did with the Polo GTI & A1 185ps Twinchargers.

(never mention the poor sales of them, or any issues with reliability or Warranty issues, because VWG never have.)

http://hothatchstats.com

George,

It is still on the SEAT Configurator,1.4 TSI DSG-auto 180PS – 139 g/km CO2

http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/models/ibiza-sc/discover.html

Priced at £17480 that's -£1500 off normally £ 18980. 

Was there, I just checked again and it appears to have disappeared now.

Edited by vrskeith

That is the Seat Configurator, usually a PITA,  but works eventually, usually after totally losing the car you are creating.

Just built one on there.

Must ask this week if they can still be ordered from the factory,

but there are loads of them up for sale used (Demos), bargains could be had.

• Like 1

That is the Seat Configurator, usually a PITA,  but works eventually, usually after totally losing the car you are creating.

Just built one on there.

Must ask this week if they can still be ordered from the factory,

but there are loads of them up for sale used (Demos), bargains could be had.

Not sure much bargains, even when compared to Skoda vRS or PoloGTI Twinchargers at dealers.http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/models/ibiza-sc/discover.html

Edited by vrskeith

I spotted this the other day and did a double take.

You buy a little 4wd car, spend £500 on it and wham, it's going to be bonkers.

Amazing.  Great when they put an engine in that's more highly tuned in other applications.

• Like 1