Found a car - that will be a no then!

Short list then:-

fa1b06e32edd0012855bac53b4d803c3_zps4e98

82k, 2008, manual, ex-taxi, 18" luna, towbar - needs 2 tyres, timing belt & water pump £6200 - no trade in.

Or

4be35d5b0f681804e4128abd27f673ac_zps1d10

128k, 2009, manual, full skoda history - needs 4 tyres & a good clean - £6000 - £4500 trade in on my Jetta (back to std)

If it was your choice which one?

On balance I'd go for the 09 in Rosso.   Four tyres and a clean is cheaper than water pump and cam and two tyres.  Although the 09 has higher mileage it has a FSH. The 08 was a taxi so probably has wear on places that others might not.  I'd be worried about the clutch on the 08 too. 

Personally I'd avoid the very early models in any range as there are always a few tweaks made on later models and this would have happened between 08 and 09 MY.  Some things but as an example, aerial on 08 versus fin on 09, sat navs were not up to spec on some earlier models etc.

The mods on your Jetta will always make a trade in more difficult so you'll get it exchanged with the 09 model and you won't have lost a huge amount (IIRC).  One downside is 18s versus 17s but  if those Trifids are decent enough you might be able to sell them on and get something for them or you really want to go 18s or more?  A bit of a drive to get the dealer with the 08 as well. Anyway just my thoughts after following your thread.....hope that helps. BTW I had a Rosso before so probably a bit biased towards that colour :happy: .  Good luck with the decision!

I had the last three letters on a company car and as I am not the smallest person it was quite appropriate.

FFB. Effing fat (non fathered person) if you get my drift!

Both cars are nice though and I would personally go for the grey one.

On balance they are both the same model, so I'm not missing out on spec on either of them. Towbar would be useful, but not essential. I'd love the Russo one on 18" Luna's and a slight drop. Which is easily do-able as it needs tyres anyway!! Plus no finance, just save up a bit more ££££ and trade it for a newer one in a few years.

It has heated, but not electric adjustment.

Russo is a great colour & lowered on 18" Luna's will look amazing!! (Once I've stripped my jetta and sold a few things then I'll have plenty of £££ to do wheels & tyres, remap, new oil feed & return pipes)

Has to be Luna's - plus I found a place selling them new for £140ea!!! If I go with that one!!!

• Like 1

Its a tricky one. Both have there pros and cons, but I think the Brunello Russo wins in the end. I've never been a fan of that colour before but with two (one twindoor and one combi) driving around Carlisle I've come to like it along with the Regency Green.

Saying that I'd love to pop out to Carwhinley and clean the car for them. The silver comes up really nice.

I'd have to see both, and a test drive before making a call. Too difficult to do it from photos and sales info alone.

Are they both running a PD motor?

Looks ok from the pictures I can see.

Suspect the '58 plate was sold by the local Skoda dealers as they couldn't sell and it had been on stock for too long.

I'd have to see both, and a test drive before making a call. Too difficult to do it from photos and sales info alone.

Are they both running a PD motor?

Yes they are both PD.

I can see chrome round the windows on the 58-plate Leon? Is that what you mean? 

No on the door strips. I looked through an 2008 brochure and they were standard on all models? Might not mean anything but it could be something to check incase it's been fixed from being a taxi? 

• Like 1

Good point!

Svend did me a favour and went to look at the silver one. I've been and seen the Russo one (i'm going back to look at it again on Saturday too)

The mileage doesnt put me off & then also the distance to view the silver one doesnt bother me either.

So we will see where I end up now! But it looking like i'll have a new car in a few weeks! :)

• Like 2

Looking closely, the 58 plate one doesn't have chrome trims on the doors why were they removed? 

The local Skoda dealer doesn't keep anything over three or four year old depending on the model. Superbs don't sit on the forecourt long and are generally only up to two year old. 

The info from the dealer said the silver one went in for a service, advisory on 2 tyres and waterpump & timing belt. The car was traded in against another Superb and this came to the dealers directly from Skoda.

Both of them are PD140's - so an engine I know well (easy boosted with a remap and eventually bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler etc)

Which engine code though? And presume it'll have a DPF?

That's the only thing that would put me off, given the original PD design didn't have one.

Me too! :)  (old Fabia VRS ended up around 186bhp - Jetta ended up at 184bhp, but more torque than the Fabia - straight through exhaust sounds amazing!)

Cant wait to make the Superb move a bit quicker - but also show me 50-55mpg

My BKD has a bit more :)

In fact, if you reckoned a tweaked Octy was big enough for your needs, you could have bought that as my Yeti is on the way.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/307466-for-sale-wardys-octavia-mk2-elegance-20tdi-pd140-uprated/

And yes, a straight-through with de-cat is much more preferable :thumbup:

• Like 1