More trouble at Uni for my cub.

Mr Ree

As if she isn't finding things difficult enough at the moment with her studies with its associated traumas, she and the rest of her occupant friends on her floor in the hall of ., are now having to endure and suffer what can only be described as moronic young teenage boys secondary school in trouble yob type behaviour.  :devil:

Gang of several living directly on the floor above, and they think it fun to make the most almighty racket waking up the whole block at 03:00 with crazy loud parties and music.

Then, while we're drunk ey lads, let's go down and take the toilet door off its hinges, that'll be hilarious, and we can block the bog with toilet paper whilst at it to help flood the floor...hilarious.

What about going back to smear the bog seat with washing up liquid, oh, and when they've cleaned that mess up, we'll go back and cover it in cling film?

A *******ing ensued of the house manager, but alas, it didn't work.

The breath wasting idiots then decide to see who can smash as many bottles onto the road below  as possible, causing some tyre damage apparently.

They denied such wrong doing, and blamed the girls.

Next? Two nights ago, they crept back down and somehow managed to lock all the toilet doors from the inside, oh, and we'll nick all the shower heads too.

There have been other instances over the last few weeks too apparently.

Absolutely hilarious ey? :@

The whole block has been put on a final warning now, and occupants will be fined en mass if this seemingly almost acceptable high jinx behaviour continues.

What in the name of all things holy are we actually dealing with here?  :wall:

I thought all this stopped after leaving school.

They need lobbing off their courses...no refunds imo.

Think I need to get over there  and start preaching a bit of PROPER disipline.  :devil:

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 1

You don't stop being an idiot just because you leave school.

I can only suggest your daughter and the other residents that are suffering march on mass to the relevant authorities. At the moment they're passing the buck by fining everyone. Those oiks just won't pay.

Your daughter (and you I suppose) are customers. The contract works both ways.

• Like 1

You don't stop being an idiot just because you leave school.

I can only suggest your daughter and the other residents that are suffering march on mass to the relevant authorities. At the moment they're passing the buck by fining everyone. Those oiks just won't pay.

Your daughter (and you I suppose) are customers. The contract works both ways.

But I thought...mistakenly it now seems, that Uni students were generally bright and intelligent citizens that are there to better themselves, unless this shower are studying for a masters in total buffoonery p'raps?

I know she's got to learn to stand on her own two feet, but I'm feeling almost obliged to go over there to try and sort this out with the appropriate authorities, as they're seemingly just brushing this nonsense under the carpet.

School and it would be bad enough, but this course is costing all of us an absolute fortune for the next 3 years minimum, and I don't want to seeit being wasted due to morons that should know better and start showing some respect.

I'm SO tempted to go over there and deal with them directly myself

Never a dull moment in my life. :think:

Edited by Mr Ree

Sounds like my first year at Uni when doing my foundation year at Sheffield. Lived in an awful dump of a halls and this sort of stuff happened nightly.

I ended up getting super down about it and quit Uni early because it affected my studying. I should have really just moved halls.

Ended up going to a much better Uni in the end though.

Sounds like my first year at Uni when doing my foundation year at Sheffield. Lived in an awful dump of a halls and this sort of stuff happened nightly.

I ended up getting super down about it and quit Uni early because it affected my studying. I should have really just moved halls.

Ended up going to a much better Uni in the end though.

I'm staggered.

Think I must have been wearing blinkers all these years.

I really believed (foolishly) that Uni life was/is generally a harmonious experience, and to be treasured for life.

You can tell I never went obviously.  :wall:

In my opinion it totally depends on what uni she's at.

At Sheff Hallam where I was at, people seemed like they were only there because they saw it as the next stage after Sixth Form and only went for the partying and didn't actually really care about putting the effort in and getting a good grade. And that's why people were blasting music at stupid aclock, playing pranks on one another as they simply didn't really care. 

Comparing this to where my gf is up at Newcastle Uni, the one prank someone did was put my gf's student ID in the freezer. Hectic eh? haha. And there are strict rules about music being too loud, and over a certain volume and if you break these rules you get kicked out. 

• Like 1

The student's union in the uni would probably be able to sort something,or else it's the accommodations office,tell her go in there and explain whats happening,most colleges would take it up if you drop the "bullying" card. A friend of mine had to go up in front of a board because he was going out with a girl,and then decided he liked her housemate better,so boned her instead. original girlfriend said that his presence in the house was "upsetting and intimidating" towards her to the student union and they brought him up in front of a board and grilled him,and that is off the word of one person,if a few get together with a coordinated complaint it will probably work. Though apparently jealous ex girlfriends are very good at using this route and they get a bit sick of it!

Them pranks suck too,the subtle ones are the best,like the bisto in the shower head.

As someone else sort of implied, Miss Rees needs to get herself (and as many mates as she can get to come with) round the Students' Representative Council about his.

Edited by KenONeill

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :rofl:

The majority of Uni students I've met / known are complete oxygen thieves. Many are just there to waste time because they can't be arsed to go out and find a job. Of course, there are students who are decent and have gone to learn... but over the last decade they've been letting in any old riff raff.

If you lived closer I'd happily help you to re-educate them and "fill them in on the good news." CBRN suits were always good for that sort of thing... not that I'd know... just rumours I've heard :bandit:

I know, I know.....now.  :blush:

Not quite so sure about 'the majority' however', only I do appreciate from what I hear from Miss r, that many on her fellow students come from very rich families where money is no object it seems, which then indicates that some are indeed there just for the fun of it, and to hell with the grades.

Just text me back.

"Going to speak to the residential adviser"....whatever/whoever that means.  :think:

Probably just a third year student being paid a tenner a week and extra dissy at the SU bar for a fancy name. :wall:

Not good ebnough.

She'd better sort this or I will be getting in touch with someone with a bit of clout.  :devil:

NOT a happy bear about this.

I'd give her time to sort it out first before you do anything.

Being at Uni she must be of an age when it's time to start learning to stand on her own two feet.

Living away from home should make her more independant.

I see so many parents still sorting out all their children's problems, big, small and financial.  Sometimes when they are nearly 30 years old!

At some stage you have to teach them that adults can take responsibility and work out their own problems.

It's a good life lesson.  They are adults after all.

(IMO)

Bob on.

Exactly why she's there and not commuting home every day

I know, and am resisting the temptation to go over there or even pick up the blower.

I said up there ^^^ somewhere, that she's got to learn to stand on her own two feet, and I mean that, but there comes a time ...later perhaps...where I feel i may need to step in to rectify the situation with a bit of 'drum banging' aimed at those in power who don't really seem to give a jot from what i can gather so far . :devil:

I'm carefully monitoring the situation though, as this disruptive nonsense cannot be allowed to continue when it's costing her in excess of SIXTY THOUSAND POUNDS.

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 1

Sixty thousand pounds?

Holy moly.

:sweat:

That's a whole seperate debate.

In fairness, only a <cough> mere <cough>  £27k of it is on educational fees. :think:

Don't get me started on the costs issues. :devil:

By the time she's qualified for whatever it is that she decides to do as a career, her brother who hasn't gone to Uni, will have earned more than it'll take her possibly decades to earn, and could well have his own house that he's saving a deposit up for.  :wall:

It cost him only £1500 to land himself a future in the transport industry, which I lent him 3 years ago, which was paid back in full over the first 6 months of his employment.

Edited by Mr Ree

By the time she's qualified for whatever it is that she decides to do as a career, her brother who hasn't gone to Uni, will have earned more than it'll take her possibly decades to earn, and could well have his own house that he's saving a deposit up for.  :wall:

Yes, double edged sword and never easy to know what's the best option.

Personally I feel Uni is worth it, provided you are doing a worthwhile course (rather than a fashionable or hobby one) and have a good chance of finding employment.

I wasn't that bright academically so rather than waste my time on average qualifications I left after my average A levels.

Left home at 18 and just got on with it.

I see people at 30 still paying off their education, struggling to find a decent job having spent years and ££££ getting average qualifications who still can't afford a house or to start a family.  It saddens me.

I'd give her time to sort it out first before you do anything.

Being at Uni she must be of an age when it's time to start learning to stand on her own two feet.

Living away from home should make her more independant.

I see so many parents still sorting out all their children's problems, big, small and financial.  Sometimes when they are nearly 30 years old!

At some stage you have to teach them that adults can take responsibility and work out their own problems.

It's a good life lesson.  They are adults after all.

(IMO)

Bob on.

Exactly why she's there and not commuting home every day

I know, and am resisting the temptation to go over there or even pick up the blower.

I said up there ^^^ somewhere, that she's got to learn to stand on her own two feet, and I mean that, but there comes a time ...later perhaps...where I feel i may need to step in to rectify the situation with a bit of 'drum banging' aimed at those in power who don't really seem to give a jot from what i can gather so far . :devil:

I'm carefully monitoring the situation though, as this disruptive nonsense cannot be allowed to continue when it's costing her in excess of SIXTY THOUSAND POUNDS.

I agree, but part of that is "knowing who to talk to", and another part is "knowing when to ask someone who might know who to talk to". I took this as a case of the second part and this is a case for talking to the SRC (also slightly unusual since halls of residence are more like hotels than private rented flats in some respects, mostly size of communal areas, which is where the issues seem to be here).

Fruitless or not their must be a published procedure for dealing with unrest and complaints in the uni's own halls which can be followed step by step. If sleep or general well being is affected, going to a doctor and being able to show any lack of action thus far by the halls staff or uni is having an impact on a persons health, I would think should scare them into taking it seriously and not palming it off with possible liability falling back on them for not doing so. 

• Like 2

I agree, but part of that is "knowing who to talk to", and another part is "knowing when to ask someone who might know who to talk to". I took this as a case of the second part and this is a case for talking to the SRC (also slightly unusual since halls of residence are more like hotels than private rented flats in some respects, mostly size of communal areas, which is where the issues seem to be here).

Correct.

It's a ruddy minefield of sheeple simply passing the buck and rattling a few sabres.

That's why my initial reaction was to go 'round there and 'rattle my own sabre', but alas, and probably correctly at the moment, I was shot down by the Rees collective.

Thing is though, I have been known for getting my point across and getting problems resolved in the past where those allegedly in power have been too busy wafting unacceptable issues under the carpet......not on my doorstep attitude, and I therefore feel that a 'quiet word' from me directed at these bird brains might just do the trick.

I can say and  do things that the Uni can't and daren't.

I don't feel I'm being over protective here, simply having this burning desire inside of me to do what I think is right and correctespecially as my bear cub is working so so hard to achieve what these **** heads are only dreaming about with no effort.

FAR too much disruption in education and its surroundings, but I foolishly believed that Uni was somehow immune from it.

Wake up call alert! :wall:

I'm ruddy furious, and cannot stand by seeing injustice.

Got my own way regarding a door staff night club in L'Pool city center incident for the girls recently, a matter that was once again being brushed under the carpet whilst my daughter and a couple of her chums sobbed due to bullying and downright disrespectful behaviour.

I don't like being labelled as a overly protective dad, but I WILL NOT EVER stand back and do absolutely nowt as the solution.  :devil:

You upset my kids in any way, then you upset me too.

Edited by Mr Ree

Fruitless or not their must be a published procedure for dealing with unrest and complaints in the uni's own halls which can be followed step by step. If sleep or general well being is affected, going to a doctor and being able to show any lack of action thus far by the halls staff or uni is having an impact on a persons health, I would think should scare them into taking it seriously and not palming it off with possible liability falling back on them for not doing so. 

I need to look into that Furby.

Sounds just like my daughters 1st year at Manchester. She even had a pot head living in her landing... Nice.

She and others went as a group to the accomodation people in the end and pointed out how much they were paying for the poor service. The offenders were put on warning notice after that and things quietened down. Get her to collect video evidence to prove the incidents took place to present to them as that then clearly shows what happened and when.