Hi , hoping for some tips to make sure my 1.9 TDI is as good as it can be :)

mmm....

you see, my 2 cent worth is, I have been told many many many many times that all engine cleaning product fuel additives are bad for the engine,

as they can corrode pipework etc from the inside and break down lubricants that sorta thing, where you cant see the damage being done. this would, in my mind, include the liqui moly job.

and, any crap it strips out of the block is going to end up in the cat too?

So.... one cleaning method is ok, but another way of doing something similar is very bad?

okay, if you pour mr muscle into the hot side of the turbo it can only possibly damage the hot side of the turbo, the cat or the exhaust. 

I am willing to take the risk fo damaging those for the potential pay offs. 

OK before this blows up into all sorts, there's lots of tricks that the motor trade would rather didn't work, VV turbos are prone to sticking no matter which manufacture makes them. The main issue is lack of use as most TDI cars have good low down torque so don't have to be reved out, this causes clogging and carbon build up. The Mr Muscle thing is probably not the best cure for sticking vanes but the short of stripping it down and rebuilding the turbo its possibly the easiest thing to try if your having issues. I'm not saying its a fix for everyone but worth a try if your turbo is shot this ain't gonna make it worse but may fix it. So in my book worth a try, just for the record I've been in the motortrade for 20 years and I'm a master mechanic for Honda so kinda know my ****. 

• Like 2

also this happened to my vent ,. iv sorted it on other cars , i guess its pooped off a clip . any idea how i get it out to get the the back of it ? cheers d 

2014-03-09151305_zps5371a59c.jpg

Edited by toastie

The vent flaps have thin pins on the back of them which can break off when people clip things into the vents (phone holders, air fresheners, etc).  Best best is to try and get some spare flaps from ebay/someone breaking a car/skospares.com....

at the hand brake side, if you feel under the frame thru the gaitor, you'll find the push through clips, pop them up, and pull the radio end of the gaitor frame straight up. then as Julian says above. what Kob are you putting in? mine pretty tired looking too, esp since i got a shiny new hand brake button :))

• 2 weeks later...

I would do this.Done it to my mechanic friend's Transporter T5 wich is in mint condition,and oooh that made a huge difference

As a matter of interest, the setup shows a filter(in the made up kit) in one of the lines, but when its at the vehicle, you cant see which fuel line feeds the filter(in the made up kit) so I suppose one of the two fuel lines going to the engine is actually a return line?

I'd guess its the one to the control valve as I expect the other line supplies the dieselto the fuel pump, Ive had a quick scan  of the haynes but cant see a descritption of the filter setup or what exactly the control valve at the fuel filter(of the vehicle) does? or which direction fuel is going?

Interesting all the same, haven't seen the liquid moly can,is there any particular ratio mix or just bung it in a jar that looks about 2-3litres?

I might do this but Ive really a few other things I want to do first, I prefer doing certain jobs one at a time in case it throws a problem, then I know where the fault is.

I'll keep an eye out next time Im in a motor factors for the liquid moly stuff asnd do a quick google, only concern is it m ight loosen something off that may have been better off captive somewhere??