OAP Insurance

Have a 2013 k 3 Elegance 2.00 TDi DSG and my insurance company has put the premium up to £418.00.

I am over 70 yrs old Think it is bit unfair is anyone  out there same age with a better insurance company???

I have a 2013 Octy 1.4TSi Elegance with DSG & almost 68yrs old - paid £192 fully comp with protected NCD.

A friend of mine 71 yrs old with a VW Passat 11plate TDi & DSG is paying just over £200. I guess you need to shop around, although many factors affect prices including postcode. So what can be cheap for some is dearer for others just because of where you live.

Have a 2013 k 3 Elegance 2.00 TDi DSG and my insurance company has put the premium up to £418.00.

I am over 70 yrs old Think it is bit unfair is anyone  out there same age with a better insurance company???

The key is change every year. They thrive off people just accepting the renewal. With all the comparison sites it's no longer a chore.

Many companies really take the Mickey if you change your car part way through the year. They know that they will make a mint as they can increase the premium massively and even if you change companies they will charge you a large cancellation fee. My company, Halifax did exactly that. Either way, unless you're very lucky, change your car mid year and the insurers clap their hands.

Shopping around is a must. So is not over estimating your mileage. Also, where you park plays a big part. I stopped parking in the garage because it's cheaper to park on the drive. It's even cheaper to park on the street. Figure that out if you can.

I'm sure you could do lots better. I pay less than that for my vrs and I'm 39. I like www.moneysupermarket.com. Good luck.

• Sponsor

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try if you like. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

The key is change every year. They thrive off people just accepting the renewal. With all the comparison sites it's no longer a chore.

Though be aware (not just yet, obviously) that many insurance companies don't take on new customers aged 80 or over. They'll renew if you're with them but not allow a new policy.

The trick is to make sure that you're with a company that doesn't take the wet when you get to 79, as you will be stuck with them for (hopefully) a very long time

One sneaky tactic is to wait until the last day of the calendar month, because all insurance companies have sales targets and they will quite often do you a deal to get you to stay with them & meet a sales target.

Another is to use your existing companies website and get a quote as a "New Customer" and I've found that regularly works, did it with Direct Line and got £55 off the renewal quote they sent me, I then waited a few more days and did it again as a "New Customer" and got £70 off the renewal, which included guaranteed hire car & all of the normal stuff.

The only slight downside was a slight increase on the compulsory excess from £150 to £200, but the chances of me using it aren't high, so it was worth it.

Did you try Skoda insurance? They worked out pretty well for me.

Very much so - they quoted me amazing price - I ended up paying considerably less for my 2.0 Octavia than I paid for the little Toyota Yaris 1.4D that preceded it.

One sneaky tactic is to wait until the last day of the calendar month, because all insurance companies have sales targets and they will quite often do you a deal to get you to stay with them & meet a sales target.

Another is to use your existing companies website and get a quote as a "New Customer" and I've found that regularly works, did it with Direct Line and got £55 off the renewal quote they sent me, I then waited a few more days and did it again as a "New Customer" and got £70 off the renewal, which included guaranteed hire car & all of the normal stuff.

The only slight downside was a slight increase on the compulsory excess from £150 to £200, but the chances of me using it aren't high, so it was worth it.

This hardly ever works anymore. Most insurers have month end dates in the middle of the month so that bonuses can be claimed in the salary at the end of the month.  Also, companies which are part of a bigger group have different dates so that operators somewhere in the group are always trying especially hard to drum up business.

Its difficult to compare peoples quotes even if you are of a similar age and with max no claims, because you also have to consider the extent of the cover, the voluntary excesses and where you live.

Agree about never renewing with same company because they will include an admin charge for renewing whereas this will not be there for a new customer. So use a comparison website and you will always get a lower quote from the same company for insuring afresh.

My March 2012 vRS CR DSG is insured for me (67) and my wife (also 67 this month) for 13k miles a year, protected no-claim and £100 excess for £135 with Surety/IAM.

+1

Probably worth joining the CSMA too, they are tied up to LV & can give you a better discount.

I've just come back to LV for my Octy 3 (well under £200). I have been with CSMA for years, and LV/Frizzell still has a sort of approved partner status with them. Now I still pay £18 pa for CSMA membership because it means LV doesn't have to give me legal cover, which saves me more in premiums with LV than the £18 outlay.